• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Official Carbon KitKat Nightlies Are Here!!

So to install we dont need gapps?and what modem? Currently running moar rom with MK3

You DO need GApps, this will be true of virtually any AOSP based ROM. Most recent CyanFox has them baked in, but that is highly unusual, Google usually throws a hissy fit about such things. I use the Paranoid Android 0-Day GApps, but there are lots of other options too. And any modem is fine, that is more a matter of what gives you the best signal/data connection in your area of the globe.

Upvote 0
OK people, for anyone having camera issues (freezes, crashes, need to reboot after using) here is a working .apk file for the camera issue, I extracted it from the 2/3/2014 build of Vanir ROM and used it to replace the one that came with the latest build of Carbon. Did a clean install and took a bunch of pictures, switched to video, back to camera mode, switched back and forth from rear camera to front camera, back to video, then back to camera, both front and rear. You get the point. No freezes or crashing. Hopefully there are no issues after prolonged usage, but I think I gave it a fair initial shakedown. Download this .apk file to your desktop, then open your zip of Carbon ROM, navigate to system folder, then app folder, and just drag and drop this .apk in, it will ask you about replacing the current one (don't rename anything or this won't work, it needs to be camera2.apk), accept the changes and then close the zip file. Happy flashing!

Camera2.apk

This file should work for any AOSP ROM moving forward that has camera issues, not just Carbon. Save it on your desktop for a rainy day!

I replaced camera apk file with struckn's in the kitkat carbon zip and moved to sd card. Wipe cache. Wipe Delvik. And dirty flashed (I think that's what the experts call it). And it works...like magic, even from lock screen (when swiping left to open camera). Thanks big time!

Upvote 0
I couldn't help myself. I had to try the newest Carbon lol. Man this thing is running great with the newest AOSP DKP kernel. I mean this thing is SNAPPY! I flashed the Vanir camera2.apk but haven't really got to play with it much. Today I'll test it thoroughly.

Feels good to be back on Carbon especially with it running so well. Now I need to check out the new PIE feature that was added. I've never really used PIE that much. I need to learn how to make the most out of it. :D

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
Looks like they fixed the web page so that you can download nightlies from the stock browser instead of having to use a desktop.

zyju5a5y.jpg

Nope from the stock browser and clicking on any nightly will give you an server error

Update :if you use opera browser it'll let you download it from your phone

Upvote 0
Nope from the stock browser and clicking on any nightly will give you an server error

Update :if you use opera browser it'll let you download it from your phone

Thanks for the heads up about using Opera. I tried with Boat browser last night and it gave me the same error.

Man this newest nightly is running great. Let's hope it stays that way. I'm going to be giving it some heavy use today. LOL :D

I'm running,the newest DKP kernel, Dalvik booster, Xposed framework,, Xblast tools, and many other mods. This baby is running like a champ.

For those of you who plan on using Xblast tools, there is a screen that pops up when you 1st open the new the app letting you know that the app needs to be made a system app. Usually it will do it on its own but it will not with Carbon. There are instructions on that page that pops up telling you how to go into the your files and make Xblast work. I followed the directions and it worked perfectly. :thumbup::D

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads up about using Opera. I tried with Boat browser last night and it gave me the same error.

Man this newest nightly is running great. Let's hope it stays that way. I'm going to be giving it some heavy use today. LOL :D

I'm running,the newest DKP kernel, Dalvik booster, Xposed framework,, Xblast tools, and many other mods. This baby is running like a champ.

For those of you who plan on using Xblast tools, there is a screen that pops up when you 1st open the new the app letting you know that the app needs to be made a system app. Usually it will do it on its own but it will not with Carbon. There are instructions on that page that pops up telling you how to go into the your files and make Xblast work. I followed the directions and it worked perfectly. :thumbup::D

Love me some Carbon. Going to flash the nightly in a few minutes.

The only PIE controls that I even half way liked were the ones built into LMT Launcher that were part of a previous version of MOAR.

Hard to go back to TW after running Carbon. I keep a stripped down Philz backup of MOAR and Wicked Sensations to restore for Activation and PRL update.

I had trouble downloading the new Carbon this morning using the stock browser. I had to use Chrome.

Upvote 0

I flashed the dkp kernel the updated one from today it's smooth all the way through especially with Carbon rom but I like xposed but it always slows down the phone to me after a few module are active and I don't like the lag especially on tw so I stay away from it

Upvote 0
I like the new DKP kernel with the randomized splash screens.

But, it seems that I only ever see one screen. If I reflash I see a different one. But it does not change the next time I boot.

That is what is supposed to happen, he only randomized per flash, not per boot. As a side note, I have the .apk for LMT Launcher (Pie) if anyone wants it. Also, looks like GPS is having problems, Biker couldn't get a lock and I can't either. Will test some previous nightlies to see if it has always been that way or if this is a recent bug.

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
That is what is supposed to happen, he only randomized per flash, not per boot. As a side note, I have the .apk for LMT Launcher (Pie) if anyone wants it. Also, looks like GPS is having problems, Biker couldn't get a lock and I can't either. Will test some previous nightlies to see if it has always been that way or if this is a recent bug.

Will the pie launcher work on cm11? If so I'd like to check it out

Upvote 0
Right on Struckn. CM11's gps is working fine though. Might have to do some digging around. There are also some gps fixes that I could have tried but I was on the road at the time. Had to pull over and make a backup of the Carbon I was running then flash a backup of CM11.

Let me know what you find out Struckn and I'll do the same if I find something. Should be a relatively easy fix. Well I hope so anyway because up until the gps, Carbon was running beautifully. I'm mean my phone was running like a champ.

I'm gonna flash back to Carbon and see if I can get it working.

Upvote 0
OK Guys. I think I may have found a fix for the GPS for navigation. I just turned on the navigation and walked out to the street and for a little ways. The GPS blue arrow looked like it was following me the way it was supposed to. If you want to give it a try the app is called "GPS Status Test & Fix" and is availble free an G Play.

I downloaded the app and let it run. I then tapped on the "Reset GPS" tab on the bottum left of the screen. Then I tapped the "Get Xtra GPS data" and let the phone reset its GPS it took a minute or so before the screen flashed and reset itself.

Hope this works for you guys looked like it was working for me.

rada4uju.jpg

Upvote 0

Here is the link for LMT

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1330150

Flashed the new Carbon. As far as I can tell, GPS is working fine for me. When you say you can't get a lock, what is the behavior to look for? I did a short navigation that worked. But, I will test some more on the way to work today.

Upvote 0
I am currently on TW atm, so not on carbon, and may test later this weekend for gps.....just a quick question though.

I noticed perhaps people having issues with gps on carbon am I reading that correctly?

If so I have just a couple of things to mention, and I am in no way trying to down any suggestions people have, so please keep that in mind.

Coming from the S2 and using aosp roms, I can for a fact tell you I have researched and studied and tested VERY thoroughly the gps issue and lock-n issues with aosp type roms.
I had tried MANY MANY MAAAANY fixes and work arounds and still to no avail I had no fix what so ever, gps was wonky as ever.

Come to find out the s2 for whatever reason has gps issues anyways, because even on a stock out of the box TW rom I settled on using it had gps lock-on issues as well, and upon further research and study others even that did not root had gps issues, so it boiled down to it being a hardware things with some of the s2's out there, and it was quite a few actually, I was shocked to find that out. That's what got me looking into a new phone....so I started looking into the s3.

The first is:
@wetbiker7 the gps fix your referring to yes, it does work, but only in a certain case.....what do I mean by this?.....well if your on the move a lot, as I am because I port cars for a living and am all over town, so I move ALL over the place (upwards of 400-500 miles a day believe it or not).......but the gps fix only works if your in a certain area, once you move it find other sats again and you then have to re-do that same fix to get a fast lock, so yeah it works, but then again it's not what I would call a "real" fix, only a temp "in that said area" fix.
As long as you don't mind re-doing the fix, your fine then, but for me I've had the fix take upwards of 10 mins at times on my s2 to grab something to tell me where I was. For me it was kinda a pain to re-do it all the time......even when I did the fix and came back home I had to re-do it again at home, even if I had done it that morning again. At least that's the results I came to for me.

The second:
The above being said there may be a fix for the s3 issue that people may not know about.

I was sifting through youtube videos as I normally do for solutions before I bought my s3 making sure it didn't have gps hardware issues like the s2 did. Well I stumbled upon a little video that showed a fix.
Now coming from experiencing this myself I can personally say this fix worked and oddly enough it fixes the gps issue I to was having.

I decided to take the plunge and went for a new shiny samsung s3.....when I got the phone I was really excited, and decided first off to do the setup, and test the gps first off, in case I would be disappointed and gps was going to be an issue like the s2 was. So I installed gps test and did a test, and sure enough it was hit and miss.....I was at this point kinda disapointed and ready to throw in the towel when "AHA" I remembered the video fix I had watched.

The end result and fix that worked for me:
The video showed to pop the back off the phone, and you will see like 10 screws around the case......tighten those (not hard now just snug) and make sure they are just snug....you don't wanna strip them, then you'd be really up a crick. Once that was done I tested gps, and guess what, it worked! my gps snags a sat really quick and fast......very noticable difference, and it's never had an issue since.

Just to note ALL my screws were at least 1/2 turn to 1 1/2 turns loose....I was shocked and amazed at the fix as well as how loose the screws were.

Now mind you this was what fixed mine, I am not guaranteeing a fix all solution for everyone, just I know that after watching the video and thinking this person was off their rocker! and then doing it myself and it fixing mine.....then I looked even further into it and found quite a few others had the same issue and it fixed it for them, but it did fix it for me, odd as it may sound.

So there you have it, I just wanted to throw that out there in case other people may find this fix useful.

For those that wanna see the video here is the link Easy Fix for Samsung Galaxy S3 GPS Issue - How To Video - YouTube

Again, crazy as it may seem, it actually worked for me. Who would have known (headslap)

Upvote 0
I am currently on TW atm, so not on carbon, and may test later this weekend for gps.....just a quick question though.

I noticed perhaps people having issues with gps on carbon am I reading that correctly?

If so I have just a couple of things to mention, and I am in no way trying to down any suggestions people have, so please keep that in mind.

Coming from the S2 and using aosp roms, I can for a fact tell you I have researched and studied and tested VERY thoroughly the gps issue and lock-n issues with aosp type roms.
I had tried MANY MANY MAAAANY fixes and work arounds and still to no avail I had no fix what so ever, gps was wonky as ever.

Come to find out the s2 for whatever reason has gps issues anyways, because even on a stock out of the box TW rom I settled on using it had gps lock-on issues as well, and upon further research and study others even that did not root had gps issues, so it boiled down to it being a hardware things with some of the s2's out there, and it was quite a few actually, I was shocked to find that out. That's what got me looking into a new phone....so I started looking into the s3.

The first is:
@wetbiker7 the gps fix your referring to yes, it does work, but only in a certain case.....what do I mean by this?.....well if your on the move a lot, as I am because I port cars for a living and am all over town, so I move ALL over the place (upwards of 400-500 miles a day believe it or not).......but the gps fix only works if your in a certain area, once you move it find other sats again and you then have to re-do that same fix to get a fast lock, so yeah it works, but then again it's not what I would call a "real" fix, only a temp "in that said area" fix.
As long as you don't mind re-doing the fix, your fine then, but for me I've had the fix take upwards of 10 mins at times on my s2 to grab something to tell me where I was. For me it was kinda a pain to re-do it all the time......even when I did the fix and came back home I had to re-do it again at home, even if I had done it that morning again. At least that's the results I came to for me.

The second:
The above being said there may be a fix for the s3 issue that people may not know about.

I was sifting through youtube videos as I normally do for solutions before I bought my s3 making sure it didn't have gps hardware issues like the s2 did. Well I stumbled upon a little video that showed a fix.
Now coming from experiencing this myself I can personally say this fix worked and oddly enough it fixes the gps issue I to was having.

I decided to take the plunge and went for a new shiny samsung s3.....when I got the phone I was really excited, and decided first off to do the setup, and test the gps first off, in case I would be disappointed and gps was going to be an issue like the s2 was. So I installed gps test and did a test, and sure enough it was hit and miss.....I was at this point kinda disapointed and ready to throw in the towel when "AHA" I remembered the video fix I had watched.

The end result and fix that worked for me:
The video showed to pop the back off the phone, and you will see like 10 screws around the case......tighten those (not hard now just snug) and make sure they are just snug....you don't wanna strip them, then you'd be really up a crick. Once that was done I tested gps, and guess what, it worked! my gps snags a sat really quick and fast......very noticable difference, and it's never had an issue since.

Just to note ALL my screws were at least 1/2 turn to 1 1/2 turns loose....I was shocked and amazed at the fix as well as how loose the screws were.

Now mind you this was what fixed mine, I am not guaranteeing a fix all solution for everyone, just I know that after watching the video and thinking this person was off their rocker! and then doing it myself and it fixing mine.....then I looked even further into it and found quite a few others had the same issue and it fixed it for them, but it did fix it for me, odd as it may sound.

So there you have it, I just wanted to throw that out there in case other people may find this fix useful.

For those that wanna see the video here is the link Easy Fix for Samsung Galaxy S3 GPS Issue - How To Video - YouTube

Again, crazy as it may seem, it actually worked for me. Who would have known (headslap)

FYI, there is also a script you can rewrite that can fix the issue. It was one of the 1st search results from Google. I didn't try it because I knew there was an app I had used before. I read a little bit and found it in the same search.

I'm headed to town today which is an hour or so one way. I'll give the app I found a try and see how it does. If all I've got to do is do a gps reset every so often then that's no big deal. All I've gotta do is tap a reset tab and it's finished about 10 seconds. I can live with that until Carbon addresses the issue.

Upvote 0
FYI, there is also a script you can rewrite that can fix the issue. It was one of the 1st search results from Google. I didn't try it because I knew there was an app I had used before. I read a little bit and found it in the same search.

I'm headed to town today which is an hour or so one way. I'll give the app I found a try and see how it does. If all I've got to do is do a gps reset every so often then that's no big deal. All I've gotta do is tap a reset tab and it's finished about 10 seconds. I can live with that until Carbon addresses the issue.

I'll give carbon a try tonight and let ya know how gps works for me. I've never had any issues so far with any rom so far, so we'll see how it goes

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
I'll give carbon a try tonight and let ya know how gps works for me. I've never had any issues so far with any rom so far, so we'll see how it goes

Cool. Hopefully yours will work. I'm already out and about. As soon as I leave the Dr's office I'm gonna try gps out on my way to the city. It seems to be working OK right now. Maybe it just needed the gps reset that the app did for me. We'll see. I'll post back in a little while and let you guys know how it worked.

Upvote 0
OK Guys, gps is working fine. I think the gps reset did the trick. I'm going to be on the road a bit today so I will continue to test it. Looking good so far.

UPDATE:

Carbon is running great. Everything seems to be working just fine. GPS, blue tooth, camera, etc are working like they're supposed to. Darn ROM is running like a champ.

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0
Yo!! I haven't needed the wifi hotspot but decided to try it anyways after talking to Wy about it. I cannot get it to work. It will broadcast the signal because my tablet will pick it up and connect but it will not allow me to connect to the internet for some reason. I have also tried the Treve Mod with no luck.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

Upvote 0
Yo!! I haven't needed the wifi hotspot but decided to try it anyways after talking to Wy about it. I cannot get it to work. It will broadcast the signal because my tablet will pick it up and connect but it will not allow me to connect to the internet for some reason. I have also tried the Treve Mod with no luck.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

Not sure what that can be. Does it work on any of the others like cm11?

Upvote 0
wetbiker7

I just got done testing gps out, and it worked fine.

tested it with maps first, and got a full lock in about 2-3 seconds, and also tried GPS test.....with GPS test it said:
-first lock was 3 seconds,
-13 of 20 satellites locked on
-and a 10ft accuracy

This all took about 3-5 seconds total to the final results. Of course it's gonna be different when it first starts, but I go off the final results and how long it takes to get to that final result. I also want to add this was in my bathroom, which is smack dab in the middle of the house here, 4 walls no windows.

So gps is working fine on this side.....I don't use any app either I just use GPS test to test it, not to reset or set anything, GPS just works without assistance.

If your still having issues might try that screw fix in the video.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
wetbiker7

I just got done testing gps out, and it worked fine.

tested it with maps first, and got a full lock in about 2-3 seconds, and also tried GPS test.....with GPS test it said:
-first lock was 3 seconds,
-13 of 20 satellites locked on
-and a 10ft accuracy

This all took about 3-5 seconds total to the final results. Of course it's gonna be different when it first starts, but I go off the final results and how long it takes to get to that final result. I also want to add this was in my bathroom, which is smack dab in the middle of the house here, 4 walls no windows.

So gps is working fine on this side.....I don't use any app either I just use GPS test to test it, not to reset or set anything, GPS just works without assistance.

If your still having issues might try that screw fix in the video.

Hope that helps.

I had GPS fixed two days ago bro. Read a few posts back. I used an app to reset my GPS and that did the trick. I used GPS all day yesterday with no issues at all. :D

I can't get the hotspot to work though. Can you?

Upvote 0
Any special way that you have to set it up?

Just tap connect and the app walks you through the set up. It will take you into wifi advanced settings to make sure the always scanning option is disabled. The set up is very easy. It took me a minute or 2 to set up and connect to my tablet.

The app is well worth the $1.95.

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones