• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Boost Mobile Questions...

kolosus

Android Expert
Oct 12, 2010
PA/NJ Usa
Hello folks. This is the largest community of Boost Mobile users that I'm aware of. I thought I'd ask my questions here.

I'm aware of a person in Queens, NY that can activate a Boost mobile phone on their network but with only data service. They are claiming $11/month for unlimited 3g service. Does anyone know of how to go about this? The only thing that I can think of is their Pay-As-You-Go service which is 50c a day for internet/data and 20c a text or per minute call. That brings me to $15 a month service for data/3g only... not quite $11 a month but acceptable.

Another thing. Say I buy another Prevail for my daughter (she's 9) and activate it in that way for data only service... How can I keep her from "inadvertently" using the stock mms or calling out to someone with her Prevail and incurring additional charges? Can I remove the mms.apk from the phone without too much damage and remove something else to keep her from calling out?

Thanks for your help. I'd appreciate any thoughts and random ideas. I'm thinking outside the box so I'm open to ideas from outside the box too.

Heck if you want it limited to internet only why not just get a wifi only tablet? That's the route I'd take if I were you.

I've thought about a wifi tablet but they're not as cheap as some phones. Plus with a wifi tablet she'll be looking for wifi (did I mention she's 8) whereas with data service only on the Prevail she'll have access to the internet and can use the phone as a wireless hotspot if needed. She'll have texting support through one of the many free texting services available on the android, she'll have internet access and the bill will only be $11 a month. I can swing that.

Upvote 0
Prevail can't be activated with pay as you go, but can be changed after the first month if my understanding is correct.

How about activating the Sanyo Innuendo with data only since the Prevail cannot be used data only. The only option with the Prevail is to use it on the $2 a day plan. With the Innuendo I can activate it for $0.50 a day for data only.

The Innuendo can do apps (not sure about texting app) but failing that it can access the net through the browser and send text messages through there.

Upvote 0
I've thought about a wifi tablet but they're not as cheap as some phones. Plus with a wifi tablet she'll be looking for wifi (did I mention she's 8) whereas with data service only on the Prevail she'll have access to the internet and can use the phone as a wireless hotspot if needed. She'll have texting support through one of the many free texting services available on the android, she'll have internet access and the bill will only be $11 a month. I can swing that.

I guess I just don't understand, but where is an 8 year old going that a cheap wifi tablet (Velocity Micro comes to mind) would not suffice? Once setup the wifi networks will auto connect anytime they come into range. With the limited number of people an 8 year old should (IMO) be communicating with via SMS/MMS, I would just install the instant messaging app of your choosing on both the tablet and whatever smartphones she may be communicating messages to. For example you install Yahoo on your own phone and when she messages you it lets you know just the same as it would if she had texted you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones