1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Boost Mobile] [Request] Change font color in mms.apk

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by i2f, Dec 17, 2012.

1. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast

Could somebody please change the font color of the message preview line from white to gray? Also, if possible, the font color of the numbers next to the contact names from white to black (preferable) or gray? I think all of the white text is very distracting when looking for a particular person.

I've attached my mms.apk file. It came with the N00b rom, but I modified a few image files. I don't know how to code, so any help would be fantastic!

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

For the record, I tried doing this for you with no luck :( I edited the file to a new color but I just can't get it to compile right. :/ Sorry! Hope someone else can figure it out!

i2f likes this.
  3. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast

Aww thanks for trying! :)

Edit: Could you send me the files? I want to see if I can get ninja morph to compile it.

4. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

I will send it tomorrow. It's on my work computer! From what I read, the mms.apk is one of the most difficult ones to work with. I gave it a fair effort but finally had to give up!

i2f and LilBit like this.
  5. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Well here is the decompiled apk. I zipped it so I could put it on dropbox! I was only able to find the message preview text color not the number. You may need 7zip to get it extracted!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/100923173/Mms.apk.zip

6. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast

As I thought. Nothing I can do. Haha. Had to try :D

Brian706 likes this.
  7. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Well, sorry :/ Have you tried editing the whole thing with ninjamorph from start to finish?

8. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast

Well, what I did was I first decompiled the apk using ninjamorph and then I replaced the "res" folder with what you had. I recompiled it and did a quick reboot. After that, I kept getting an error whenever I tried to open the messaging app.

Weird.

9. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

I think some of the problem is in the signing of the app. It probably needs to be pushed to the phone with adb. When I edited it though it kept throwing up errors that it didn't understand. So I'm not sure what the problem is. Have you considered an alternate messaging app that's customizable?

10. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast

Go SMS is my main sms app right now. But I hate having to switch to the stock messaging app whenever I want to send pictures to people. The stock app isn't all that bad. The font color is just killing me. Haha.

11. PsyMega

PsyMega Android Expert

I2f you need to decompile the mms.apk to its smali contents. Ninjamorph doesn't decompile apks. It only extracts them. Once you decompile the apk edit colors.xml. I think it is in the values folder, I could be wrong. To decompile an apk get apks multitools, Again ninjamorph doesn't decompile anything just extracts it.

12. PsyMega

PsyMega Android Expert

13. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Dizzle, for the record, I decompiled it to that state and that is the exact file I edited. The problem lied in recompiling the apk. Too many errors....

14. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast

I guess I got my terminology mixed up. Whoops!

Yeah, I couldn't find any good tutorials on editing files in an apk (other than editing its image files) - let alone finding out how to edit them on a mac. o_O

15. i2f

i2f Android Enthusiast

Of course.

I have tried editing the code in an apk (e.g. xml files) on multiple occasions, but couldn't. That's why I finally decided to ask for help from the community.

It also doesn't help that I have to jump through hoops because most things require/are easier on a PC.

16. PsyMega

PsyMega Android Expert

Lol I know that, I was aiming that towards i2f. I was just trying to point him in the right direction ;) no harm done

Brian706 likes this.

ZTE Warp (N860) Forum

The ZTE Warp (N860) release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1600mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews