• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [Request] Change font color in mms.apk

i2f

Android Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Could somebody please change the font color of the message preview line from white to gray? Also, if possible, the font color of the numbers next to the contact names from white to black (preferable) or gray? I think all of the white text is very distracting when looking for a particular person.

I've attached my mms.apk file. It came with the N00b rom, but I modified a few image files. I don't know how to code, so any help would be fantastic!

Attachments

• screenshot-1355781037170.png
    screenshot-1355781037170.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 113
Well, what I did was I first decompiled the apk using ninjamorph and then I replaced the "res" folder with what you had. I recompiled it and did a quick reboot. After that, I kept getting an error whenever I tried to open the messaging app.

Weird.

I think some of the problem is in the signing of the app. It probably needs to be pushed to the phone with adb. When I edited it though it kept throwing up errors that it didn't understand. So I'm not sure what the problem is. Have you considered an alternate messaging app that's customizable?

Upvote 0
I think some of the problem is in the signing of the app. It probably needs to be pushed to the phone with adb. When I edited it though it kept throwing up errors that it didn't understand. So I'm not sure what the problem is. Have you considered an alternate messaging app that's customizable?

Go SMS is my main sms app right now. But I hate having to switch to the stock messaging app whenever I want to send pictures to people. The stock app isn't all that bad. The font color is just killing me. Haha.

Upvote 0
I2f you need to decompile the mms.apk to its smali contents. Ninjamorph doesn't decompile apks. It only extracts them. Once you decompile the apk edit colors.xml. I think it is in the values folder, I could be wrong. To decompile an apk get apks multitools, Again ninjamorph doesn't decompile anything just extracts it.

Dizzle, for the record, I decompiled it to that state and that is the exact file I edited. The problem lied in recompiling the apk. Too many errors....

Upvote 0
I2f you need to decompile the mms.apk to its smali contents. Ninjamorph doesn't decompile apks. It only extracts them. Once you decompile the apk edit colors.xml. I think it is in the values folder, I could be wrong. To decompile an apk get apks multitools, Again ninjamorph doesn't decompile anything just extracts it.

I guess I got my terminology mixed up. Whoops!

Yeah, I couldn't find any good tutorials on editing files in an apk (other than editing its image files) - let alone finding out how to edit them on a mac. o_O

Upvote 0
Make sure you do your homework before installing.

Of course.

I have tried editing the code in an apk (e.g. xml files) on multiple occasions, but couldn't. That's why I finally decided to ask for help from the community.

It also doesn't help that I have to jump through hoops because most things require/are easier on a PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones