• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [ROM] n00b (B10 based) VIII.II FULL Install 1/23/2013

New screen shot

42576896-3fa6-edaf.jpg

Looks awesome :thumbup:

Reactions: nefcpainter119
Upvote 0
Ok guys I've figured out the mystery of what is making location /security not open and force close. I have tested 3 times to recreate the problem and fix it...

The problem is caused by none other than.....(drumroll) fixing permissions in cwm.

So if you fix permissions then you will have that problem. Now to get rid of it just uninstall NETWORK LOCATION and restore it with titanium backup

Problem solved instantly, you don't even need to reboot..

I found the cause and you can
Thank mholloway for finding the fix:D
And especially thank mrbobo for his awesome rom!!

Doesn't surprise me! I have to reinstall apps ALL the time on TB after a permissions fix. Fix permissions, IMHO, is a reset of some sorts for the kernel to reaquire it's settings. As you all know, the kernel is the brain and the in-between from the software to the hardware and I believe when it resets, it causes some apps to not "talk" to the hardware. Every good thing has to have a bad thing I guess in the balance of the universe LOL. Keep this in mind if you fix permissions and an app doesn't work. Well done mholloway!

Upvote 0
Hey Mrbobo is your ROM still themeable in the UOT Kitchen? I have some theming experience and would like, with your permission, to make some themes for your ROM since it appears to be the only ROM around anymore with dev support and because it's such a good ROM.

please do, you will have to give the kitchen a try to see if it's still working, I kinda think that because of the last update to n00b iv with the notification menu it might not be anymore, but give it a shot and see :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I know you guys have figured out how to treat the symptoms of the location issue in settings, I know it's been pointed out that you can reproduce the issue using fix permissions. I still wanted to dig in and find the root cause, fix permissions should not cause any issues and the network location apk is stock and hasn't changed in any release of n00b.

I may have found the issue, it could be the zipalign script... could I get a few people with the issue to try this:

open /system/etc/init.d and change permissions on the zipalign, just uncheck everything. Next go to /data and delete the two zipalign files (log and db)

Reboot

then let me know if you still see the issue, it fixed it for me so far.

I am wanting to see if a few others have the same result and want to test this over the next day or so to make sure this is the root cause.

Reactions: SelfElevated2
Upvote 0
Hey Mrbobo is your ROM still themeable in the UOT Kitchen? I have some theming experience and would like, with your permission, to make some themes for your ROM since it appears to be the only ROM around anymore with dev support and because it's such a good ROM.

Hey I'm working on a green theme for noob rom. Uot will do some but some gives errors. Because of the errors I'm doing a lot by hand so its taking longer than I wanted but I think I should have a release out soon.

Reactions: mholloway
Upvote 0
Reactions: SelfElevated2
Upvote 0
Ok, I know you guys have figured out how to treat the symptoms of the location issue in settings, I know it's been pointed out that you can reproduce the issue using fix permissions. I still wanted to dig in and find the root cause, fix permissions should not cause any issues and the network location apk is stock and hasn't changed in any release of n00b.

I may have found the issue, it could be the zipalign script... could I get a few people with the issue to try this:

open /system/etc/init.d and change permissions on the zipalign, just uncheck everything. Next go to /data and delete the two zipalign files (log and db)

Reboot

then let me know if you still see the issue, it fixed it for me so far.

I am wanting to see if a few others have the same result and want to test this over the next day or so to make sure this is the root cause.
OK did that and will test over next couple days

Upvote 0
Yea I just tried the effects. .the last 3 do fc. But I don't think I've had a rom that didn't fc on certain effects. I don't use them anyway. So no big deal

Yep that's whats causing me to fc. Like i said not a big deal since i could just get me one of those camera apps off of the market but its nice giving the heads up to anyone who decided to use them.

Solid rom so far, can't wait for the final release of 5 :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones