• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [ROM] n00b (B10 based) VIII.II FULL Install 1/23/2013

My ROM doesn't require a partition, you can certainly use it but this is beyond my knowledge and not recommend or at least not required. I used a partition for the galaxy prevail but only because it NEEDED it due to the limited internal memory. For this phone that's not an issue at least it hasn't been for me so I have been out of the partition game for a long time now.

As my script wipes out almost everything that could conflict, generally the only issues people will see is either a hardware failure or something on the SD card, those are the two variables as far as I know that are out of my control as a ROM builder.

Question to the public: has anyone else experienced an initial boot of longer than 5 minutes?

Upvote 0
Just to add: I just tried swapping out the partition card with another blank one, same results. Same goes for repartitioning and changing the swap size. For some reason, this ROM simply will not install and boot on my phone.

I am stumped... you said it gets stuck on the boot animation right, the android word with the black background and the white light that goes across the words back and forth?

in cwm, try a factory data reset and fix permissions under advanced.

You could have a bad download possibly, any chance that could be the case?

Upvote 0
I think I'm F'ed here. Now I can't install any ROM. Well technically, I can install them, it just freezes at the same boot screen. basically, when I install the rom and reboot, i get stuck at a screen that has a little white image of the android logo and it says "ANDROID" immediately to the right of it. I have never seen this screen before. before it was always just a large green logo.

Well it sticks at that screen and I can't seem to find any way to get it to boot into any ROM or do anything else at this point. If I reboot into Clockwork Recovery, it will briefly show that screen before going into recovery, where I have tried formatting, wiping, reinstalling, etc. But no matter what i do, i end up back at the same screen when i reboot. been working on this for a little over 90 minutes now and getting nowhere fast. I hope my phone isn't totally screwed :-/

Upvote 0
I think I'm F'ed here. Now I can't install any ROM. Well technically, I can install them, it just freezes at the same boot screen. basically, when I install the rom and reboot, i get stuck at a screen that has a little white image of the android logo and it says "ANDROID" immediately to the right of it. I have never seen this screen before. before it was always just a large green logo.

Well it sticks at that screen and I can't seem to find any way to get it to boot into any ROM or do anything else at this point. If I reboot into Clockwork Recovery, it will briefly show that screen before going into recovery, where I have tried formatting, wiping, reinstalling, etc. But no matter what i do, i end up back at the same screen when i reboot. been working on this for a little over 90 minutes now and getting nowhere fast. I hope my phone isn't totally screwed :-/

The image you are seeing is just the swap image, it was changed by the ROM install.

Have you re-downloaded the zip or tried another ROM? My best guess at this point is a bad download of the zip and/or issues with the partitioned SD.

To rule that out, using your blank card download this ROM again and re-install. I would also recommend downloading another ROM and flashing that.

If you can get into cwm and can see the sd card you are not bricked.

Upvote 0
I am stumped... you said it gets stuck on the boot animation right, the android word with the black background and the white light that goes across the words back and forth?

in cwm, try a factory data reset and fix permissions under advanced.

You could have a bad download possibly, any chance that could be the case?

I found a solution / workaround, but I'm going to run some more tests. I thought about it and realized that if it is hanging that early, it's probably a kernel issue. I flashed a different kernel and was able to boot into an older ROM. So then I wiped again, reinstalled your ROM, and then immediately flashed another kernel again before rebooting. This time the ROM booted perfectly after about 2 - 3 minutes.

I'm wondering if there was some issue with the other kernel.

Upvote 0
couldn't tell you, there are many users on this ROM so I think it has to be a corrupt download, perhaps it corrupted the boot.img in the zip somehow.

On top of that, this ROM needs the kernel that was included so there are features that won't work (possibly including wifi) without it.

Very strange. I will rewipe, redownload, and try it again. I figured I would keep posting results in the off chance that someone else runs into the same problem. At least they can see what i tried.

Reactions: MrBobo
Upvote 0
Update: I redownloaded and did a fresh install again. This time, after about 5 seconds the screen that I was stuck at before changed and mentioned the name of the kernel, etc (I forget what it said exactly.) But about a minute after that, everything finished and it worked normally.

It must ahve been a bad download or something. I didn't bother to hash the files and compare the values. But just in case someone runs into a similar problem in the future, I was able to get back into my phone by flashing a different kernel and then trying this ROM again.

Thanks for the help and fast replies!

Reactions: MrBobo
Upvote 0
I added the flashable zip of the stock live wallpaper app and wallpaper picker app on Post 3, I know it was posted previously but since it's popular I wanted to put it where it's easy to find...

as always, I am happy to take requests for stock apps and put together flashable zips to restore them.

Someone mentioned the alarm clock, did you end up trying and liking alarmdroid or do you want me to try and put that together... many times it's not just one file you need to restore, but could be multiple apks or lib files etc to restore an app.

Upvote 0
I installed this before I went to work, the only problem I have is that the camera doesn't start, maybe when I restored everything with tb something's gotten took over?

When you restore, make sure you don't restore system apps, just missing apps and even then you have to be a little selective because some apps just don't work if you restore them (most do though)

Upvote 0
Fixed the darn messaging app, sorry guys, here is a flashable zip (CWM) to update the messaging app so you can attach high resolution pictures:

Dark Messaging App HD (added to n00b V full zip in post one on 9/6, flash in cwm to add HD)

If you just came to n00b today, I added this to the full zip at 5:00pm today, so if you came to n00b before that, this will need to be flashed.

The update allows you to attach a captured picture in high resolution instead of the grainy crappy resolution it was restricted to.

This will make your text a little bigger but not ridiculous.

Enjoy!

For you newbies, you will learn I can't let any issues rest on my ROM, sorry for the flurry of updates, it was a last minute addition but worth it!

Upvote 0
:five:
My ROM doesn't require a partition, you can certainly use it but this is beyond my knowledge and not recommend or at least not required. I used a partition for the galaxy prevail but only because it NEEDED it due to the limited internal memory. For this phone that's not an issue at least it hasn't been for me so I have been out of the partition game for a long time now.

As my script wipes out almost everything that could conflict, generally the only issues people will see is either a hardware failure or something on the SD card, those are the two variables as far as I know that are out of my control as a ROM builder.

Question to the public: has anyone else experienced an initial boot of longer than 5 minutes?

No, initial for me was 2- 3 mins.

Edit: Added alarm droid, thanks
Mr Bobo, I need my alarm!!
should I flash the Dark message App HD?

Edit: Ive already flashed the blk message app from yesterday.:):five:

Upvote 0
Very strange. I will rewipe, redownload, and try it again. I figured I would keep posting results in the off chance that someone else runs into the same problem. At least they can see what i tried.

I believe thats why I lost root, corrupted file during the transfer from linux to my phone. . As of now, more than 24hrs later though, the rom is running smooth as silk. No complaints from me!!:D

Edit: Yes I like alarmdroid better than the stock alarm, plus it has a matching white icon , suite the rom nicely!

Upvote 0
I used the Noob IV black status bar update...it worked for me.

Oh great!! Is it in this thread somewhere? I just flashed the camera hd update and sent my gf, a pic, waiting on a report from her, but this would be super to install also. Post a link if you can, meanwhile Ill go hunting through the thread in a bit. WOW!! I love this forum!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones