• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [ROM][NDC][STOCK][4.4.2][KITKAT][ROOTED][ODEXED/DEODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile

jdsingle76

Android Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2012
TN
[ROM][NDC][STOCK][4.4.2][KITKAT][ROOTED][ODEXED/DEODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile

STOP!!! PLEASE READ!!! Before you flash this zip file in recovery, you MUST FIRST flash either the NDC tar(see below for link), or the ND8 tar, in order to obtain the KK bootloader and modem. If you flash this directly over JellyBean bootloader, you WILL brick!!

Alright folks, here we go again. Just as the title says, this is the NDC 4.4.2 Kit Kat update for Boost/VM in flashable zip. Stock, rooted, busybox, zipaligned, odex or deodex. That’s it. Pretty basic. More to come in the future, but this should be enough to keep you busy for awhile. Enjoy!

Notes: PLEASE READ!
1. In order for this to work, you need to flash the NDC tar first! Flashing the tar will(should) not wipe your data.
2. And yes, NDC tar does come with Knox, so if you flash the tar, you have Knox. And if you flash CWM via Odin to flash this, it WILL trip Knox, thus voiding your warranty.
3. This MAY cause you to lose your modem, but not to fear, we got you covered.

Google, Samsung, XDA – For obvious reasons
@JustArchi – For the Kitchen
@Phil3759 - For your awesome recovery
@Agent4834 – For catching the tar ball in Kies
@Chainfire – SuperSU and everything else you do and continue to do. You’re a magician.
@CNexus – For being there to bounce ideas off of, keeping me out of trouble!
@tdunham - For being a great sounding board and resource! So glad you’re on the S5 now!
@moonknightus- - For the modem. Good looking out brother.

Download Links:

Stock Tar OP
Stock Odex
Stock Deodex
NDC Modem

Flashing Instructions: (After flashing the NDC tar)
1. Download the ROM of your choice to your phone.
2. Download the modem to your phone.
3. Flash your latest TWRP, CWM, Philz, recovery, whatever you are using through Odin.
I personally use Philz, exclusively. Found Here
4. Reboot to recovery, wipe cache/dalvik
5. Flash rom, takes a few minutes
6. Flash modem.
7. Reboot
8. Profit

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for whatever you do with your phone. Please flash at your own risk!

Last edited:
I'm on Slimkat 4.1 and don't want to break philz.
or get bricked flashing anything through Odin.
I got used to using stock android so I can live with staying on slimkat. However I might attempt this on my Boost sgs3; to try out the official touchwiz KitKat if it were flashable through recovery.

Upvote 0
I got used to using stock android so I can live with staying on slimkat. However I might attempt this on my Boost sgs3; to try out the official touchwiz KitKat if it were flashable through recovery.

You have to flash the NDC tar through Odin to get the boot loader for this to work. If your just try to flash this over JB boot loader it will boot loop

Reactions: Modman
Upvote 0

You won't brick anything as long as you follow the instructions. Odin is very reliable. Not only is it reliable, it has also saved my phone when testing went bad with kernels and ROMs on my Prevail.

Updating via Odin is very simple actually. Make sure you have a good charge on your phone, use Odin to flash the new Kit Kat stock image, reboot and let the new ROM boot up. Then use Odin again to flash? Philz recovery. You can then choose to root and stay on stock or you can skip rooting and just flash a rooted ROM.

If, by chance, you do use Odin, be prepared to wait because flashing the new stock image takes between 10 and 14 minutes. Just wait until Odin tells you its complete. Unplugging during a flash can cause serious damage.

Upvote 0
I really don't want to flash anything through Odin and I can wait. Slimkat works fine.

So are you going to bring another version out eventually made from the official boost ROM that is a zip file like your other jb.zip file?

Also if it was made from the official boost ROM would I have to flash NDC firmware?

Will there ever be an official boost ota?

What advantage does this have over stock android on an aosp rom?

Upvote 0
I really don't want to flash anything through Odin and I can wait. Slimkat works fine.

So are you going to bring another version out eventually made from the official boost ROM that is a zip file like your other jb.zip file?

Also if it was made from the official boost ROM would I have to flash NDC firmware?

This is made from the official boost ota, and is just like the jb one, except it's KK, and there's no way around Knox anymore. That's why you have to flash the ndc boot loader first. With jb I was able to remove Knox, they'd why mk5 Rom flashed onto the 4.1.2 boot loader. You WEREN'T changing boot loaders with the last Rom I built, but you have to for this to work because Knox is so embedded. And advantages, it's TW if that's your flavor

Upvote 0
Maybe I'll stick with custom ROMs for now.
Is there a way to undo NDC to go back?
Started to like stock anyway.
If I hear of great features I might think about flashing.

Also can custom ROMs be flashed over NDC if it can't be rolled back?

No, and yes. Once you're on NDC boot loader and modem, you're stuck, unless you want to go ND8. Custom roms should work just fine, as long as you don't try to down grade the boot loader. And JB modems won't work on KK boot loader, so if the AOSP or other stuff requires JB or even ICS modem to work, then it will flash, but you won't have radio, at all.

Upvote 0
Also I'm running slimkat. Its a KitKat ROM.
Do I already have the NDC bootloader?
Or is stock totally different so I'd have to flash it anyway? I also assume if I wanted to do this I would have to go into my custom recovery and first wipe everything, because I'm coming from a different custom rom and then flash NDC and Rom through Odin?

Upvote 0

I don't know why you are so Odin shy. We're lucky to have it and it's simple to use. I was stoked to know I would have access to Odin when I bought my S3. Trust me when I say, Odin is a phone saver.

Upvote 0
OK but if I'm already using slimkat which is a kikat ROM do I have to flash NDC or KitKat boot loader? Also just to confirm I'd have to use my current custom recovery to wipe everything and then flash this ROM through Odin? Debating if its worth it or if I should just stay on slimkat?

What is the next iteration of android lollipop?
How long till it comes out and stable custom ROMs come out? Maybe first iteration of slimpop official build. I'm using a dspr build. Not sure if I tried the stock kk if I'd like it. Would I be able to flash back? Or would it not work after I flashed NDC?

I also read here he was not rooted.
Anyone have success that is rooted?
Would I have to wipe my phone and then use a nandroid to return to stock and then look for unroot instructions?

Afterwards flash this?

A lot of work. Not sure I understand everything or if its even worth it?

Upvote 0
OK but if I'm already using slimkat which is a kikat ROM do I have to flash NDC or KitKat boot loader? Also just to confirm I'd have to use my current custom recovery to wipe everything and then flash this ROM through Odin? Debating if its worth it or if I should just stay on slimkat?

What is the next iteration of android lollipop?
How long till it comes out and stable custom ROMs come out? Maybe first iteration of slimpop official build. I'm using a dspr build. Not sure if I tried the stock kk if I'd like it. Would I be able to flash back? Or would it not work after I flashed NDC?

Ok, here's the official answer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but slim kat is aosp and therefore flashed via cwm, therefore it doesn't flash the KK boot loader. So yes, it may be the KK software, it does not include the KK firmware, ie Knox and all it's bells and whistles.

Yes, in order to use this Rom you have to flash the tar first(that's been answered, and also appears in the OP).

Since you are on aosp, I would wipe everything clean before flashing tar.

I have no idea what lollipop is, or slimpop. I ask that you please refrain from clogging the thread with questions about other roms.

If you don't like NDC, flash whatever your like in cwm as long as it doesn't include a boot loader. And if the rom you go back to requires a jb or ics modem, you're out of luck because you're stuck with KK modem, because that's all that works on KK boot loader.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's the official answer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but slim kat is aosp and therefore flashed via cwm, therefore it doesn't flash the KK boot loader. So yes, it may be the KK software, it does not include the KK firmware, ie Knox and all it's bells and whistles.

Yes, in order to use this Rom you have to flash the tar first(that's been answered, and also appears in the OP).

Since you are on aosp, I would wipe everything clean before flashing tar.

I have no idea what lollipop is, or slimpop. I ask that you please refrain from clogging the thread with questions about other roms.

If you don't like NDC, flash whatever your like in cwm as long as it doesn't include a boot loader. And if the rom you go back to requires a jb or ics modem, you're out of luck because you're stuck with KK modem, because that's all that works on KK boot loader.

No correction needed bro. You hit the nail on the head.

He may be running a 4.4.2 ROM but unless his baseband/modem says either ND8 or NDC he is not running the true Kit Kat bootloader.

JD, I know you know this. I'm basically posting the info for others who do not.

Modman, if you go into settings and then look under about phone or about device, look where it says baseband. If the last 3 say ND8 or NDC then you are officially running the Kit Kat bootloader. If it says anything else then you are not and will need to manually flash it.

Upvote 0
Nope still says mk5. Only thing that makes me hesitant to do it is. Not sure I want to go back to touch wiz. Also my previous backups will become useless. On everything else I flashed I can revert back to my last nandroid backup. With this I'm sol if I brick. Will aosp ROMs eventually require NDC? Nobody in slimroms evidentally knows the answer or will answer in their forum.
My big debate is stay with aosp roms if upgrading bootloader isn't necessary? Or flash NDC try kk stock tw and or flash a new rom start from scratch since my prior backups will now be useless if I wind up not liking it?

Upvote 0
Is there any video tutorial to do this?
I only got to root my phone because during that process I've tripped Knox a couple of times. This time I dont want to make a mistake.
I keep getting the "System Update" warning & it's time I update.

Thanks in advance

No video, sorry. I tried making the install instructions simple. Let me know if I have issues

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones