1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Boost Mobile] Root explorer question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by uknow, Mar 10, 2013.

1. uknow

uknow Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2012
    Male
    With root browser installed couldn't I just download supersu and move it into my system app to gain root?

Advertisement

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Nope, because root explorer needs root to access the system.

Also, having the su or supersu app doesnt give you root. That app just manages root access for other apps.

3. uknow

uknow Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2012
    Male
    No you can go into system apps change permission and move apps but will it root your device with just puting supersu in it or do you have to go through the process I was just playing around with a none rooted zte warp and s3 and with botg I downloaded root browser lite and make changes but before tempting this I wanted to know if it would even mattet

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Root explorer cannot access the system without root access.

Installing a superuser app, either as a system app or as a user app, will NOT root your device.

What you're describing cannot be done

5. mercury0x000d

mercury0x000d The ultra-modern operator

I'll have to agree on this one, since I've tried it back in the day. Supersu / superuser only manages what apps get root and what ones don't. Having them on your device does not instantly grant you root ability. In addition to needing a "root manager" there are also deeper settings in the ramdisk which get edited also, such as the ro.secure attribute and others, which basically unlock the system to further modifications.

LilBit, rickpcb and Doc like this.
  6. uknow

uknow Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2012
    Male
    Thank yall for the answer im trying to a root method for the s3 that will also work for the warp

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Two completely different phones. One thing you'll learn is everything in the root world is device specific.

The root method for the s3 is painfully simple.

The warp I'm not sure about. I'd suggest checking out the all things root guide.

8. uknow

uknow Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2012
    Male
    yes i understand i miss worded what i mean mr.bobo made it to where you could just flash his rom on the warp to gain root cwm and custom rom what i want to do is this but for the s3 and dont know where to start but i want to make the custom rom part just be the stock rom with cwm and root so this way there is no need for a computer anymore for ppl like me who is limited to a computer luckly i work for a family bus and i can just use the work computer but anyways im just looking for a point in the right way mr.bobo ple give info lol

LilBit likes this.
  9. MrBobo

MrBobo Android Expert

Jul 12, 2011
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Dimondale, MI
    the warp root method is extremely rare, we basically had a wide open kernel/recovery so rooting was as simple as pushing superuser/supersu to the system and replacing the recovery was as simple as flashing it through the unsecured stock recovery, they don't check that the signature matches the warp stock signature, only that it's signed so you can flash ANYTHING through the stock recovery. I just took that a step further and put it all in a nice zip...

I have a note 2 now that's basically the same security as the s3, I don't know about other carriers, but on verizon you have to use an exploit to root and it requires a computer and odin etc, it's really easy but takes some computer work, here's the root method I found for the s3, for the note 2 someone scripted out a java app to do all of those steps automatically, but you still needed a computer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439

Wish I had a better answer, we were just lucky with the warp and you probably won't see anything like that on any samsung phones anytime soon. It's not hard but you do need to use a PC at this point.

Doc and LilBit like this.
  10. uknow

uknow Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2012
    Male
    such sad news lol but thanks mrbobo for confirming this for me

Doc and LilBit like this.