• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Rooted (?) ZTE Warp want to activate to Booste Mobile

My mother purchased a ZTE Warp on eBay for me. I don't know anything about rooting phones, transferring them to different carriers and all that jazz. I just like using the phones the way they were intended.
Is there some way to return the phone back to Boost Mobile, so that I can then activate it with my phone number and get rid of this @!$!#$% Samsung Galaxy Prevail (STUPIDEST smart phone I've ever touched).
I believe the phone is rooted because I see an app called "super user" and according to the description in Play Store this app is only installed by a rooting rom.
Please advise!
Justin
OH!

1.) Model Number ? M860
2.) Firmware Version ? (HW version?) c4tB
3.) Baseband Version ? N860B01
4.) Kernel Version ? 2.6.35-perf+
zte-kernel@zdroid-smt
5.) Build Number ? (Android version?) 2.3.5

BTW I'm technically savvy, just with desktop computers. I will probably be able to do some technical stuff if needed... just plz help!

1) Rooting and ROMs are two different issues. Rooting should have nothing to do with whether Boost will do an equipment swap for you (swap the phone used on your number).

2) You can download Superuser without the phone being rooted, although there's no reason to. (But lots of people do things there's no reason to do.)

The only thing a rooted phone will let you do is run apps that need root access. If you never run one, you'll never notice that the phone is rooted.

Upvote 0
To check if you're rooted, download an app called titanium backup (I would day root checker but sometimes its faulty). If it shows you a prompt asking for super user permissions, then congratulations on being rooted! If you get a notification saying "I couldn't acquire root permissions" then you aren't rooted. Now root won't affect your phone much other than the ability to use root enabled apps, but at the same time, if you don't instal a custom rom you will have issues (such as random rebooting) with the phone due to bad programming out of the box. Our custom roms and kernel will fix these issues, or at the very least reduce them very very very greatly :)

Upvote 0
As I was typing a response about how I still couldn't get it to activate, even taking it into a boost store, I went on the website and attempted it again and this time it went through! Same number I'd used last time, because my computer remembered it and I didn't have to enter it myself. Perhaps my help ticket got resolved in that they manually entered the number in their system, because I got alot of warnings about how they are not responsible for inconsistent service with non-boost phones.
But the phone still has it's issues, and I think I'm getting a replacement HTC EVO anyway!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones