• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] S3 stuck on samsung logo

Knoxville363

Nov 24, 2011
Chicago, IL
My sister in law has an S3 from Boost...she attempted the last system update....last week she went to update her phone. Not sure if it died during the update or what. It turns on BUT is stuck on the Samsung logo and will not boot up....how do I fix this? Im assuming DL mode using ODIN will get me back in...right? Which firmware DL do I use with ODIN? phone is COMPLETELY STOCK...no root no nothing done to it ever.

thanks,
Knox

[QUOTE="mydian, post: 6838644, member: we don't have a tar for the newest firmware update yet. If you try flashing an older firmware the phone will be hard bricked. Can it boot into recovery? Try clearing the cache or a factory reset.[/QUOTE]
ok ill try doing both......thanks :).......... cache no luck....

So I cant just get a stock DL off the samsung website?? She has a bunch of pics she does not want to lose so I cant fact reset....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[QUOTE="mydian, post: 6838644, member: we don't have a tar for the newest firmware update yet. If you try flashing an older firmware the phone will be hard bricked. Can it boot into recovery? Try clearing the cache or a factory reset.
ok ill try doing both......thanks :).......... cache no luck....

So I cant just get a stock DL off the samsung website?? She has a bunch of pics she does not want to lose so I cant fact reset....[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Any update on the firmware so i can restore this phone yet???

You should be able to fix this with Samsung Kies. The latest available download for Boost should be NDC. I'd start there. Be careful not to download and Odin anything prior to NDC or anything for the SPH-L710T. That 'T' on the end makes a big difference in what you can do and has caused a few bricks.

Upvote 0
You should be able to fix this with Samsung Kies. The latest available download for Boost should be NDC. I'd start there. Be careful not to download and Odin anything prior to NDC or anything for the SPH-L710T. That 'T' on the end makes a big difference in what you can do and has caused a few bricks.

The latest version is NJ3. But it still isn't available to download for some reason. The latest firmware available to download is NDC. If the phone has been updated OTA to NJ3 you can't use NDC any more.

I agree try Kies.

Upvote 0
The latest version is NJ3. But it still isn't available to download for some reason. The latest firmware available to download is NDC. If the phone has been updated OTA to NJ3 you can't use NDC any more.

I agree try Kies.

NJ3 is only an update zip that's why there isn't a full tar file for it. Using the NDC tar should would think. Someone correct me of I'm wrong here but I'm sure that's the case.

Upvote 0
NJ3 is only an update zip that's why there isn't a full tar file for it. Using the NDC tar should would think. Someone correct me of I'm wrong here but I'm sure that's the case.
Some theorize that since the update contains a boot loader (I haven't confirmed myself though) that Odin flashing NDC may brick. No one has tried though.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i have zero access to the phone........just stays in place on the samsung boot logo unfortunately that is why kies didn't work......pc can't recognize a phone unless it boosts
Can you boot into download mode? Then use Odin to flash nj2 tar. Its sprint but it should work fine. Many VM and boost users flashed nd8 sprint tar.

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/threads/ro...e-all-spt-l710tvpu0anf4-l710tspt0anf4.896195/

1download that TAR
2 dow load ODIN
3 open ODIN
4 put phone in DL mode and uncheck auto reboot
5 select TAR file
6 after phone is recognized click the start button??

Is that correct...it has been ages for me w this stuff
Wait, do you have the T model? That's for the triband model. If not don't do it, you will mess that phone up. If its not the triband you need nj2 or nj3. If its in emergency mode then kies will work. Use kies3. It has a setting for phones that mess up during update. If its not rooted and no custom recovery then kies is the fix.

Upvote 0
Lets say for example the firmware download is released...will it wipe the phone anyways??? If it will then i might as well try factory reset...im trying to save the pics on the phone...if either one will reset it to factory then it is all the same
The firmware you have linked there is for the t model. And normally no, flashing firmware via Odin doesn't wipe data. You need firmware that ends with either nj2 or nj3. Nf4 is for the triband. Are the pics saved on the sdcard? Pics that important, you would think, would be on SD. If so pull it out. But I don't think a factory reset is going to help you. In kies it should instruct you to plug in with phone in download mode anyways, you shouldn't need system booted. You should just need the Samsung drivers installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones