• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] SD Card Recovery

Hi, my messed up Warp is dying slowly, first was having all the usual issues. Then it didn't charge the battery because a lack of correct contact and today the socket fell off completely.
In its way out it short circuited near death SD Card making it show errors and mounting as blank.

I need to save some files from it but I do not have a PC at the moment.

I read some posts about a way using the Terminal Emulator and the fsck command but I have zero experience with Linux.

Can someone please point me in the right line of command to see if is possible.

I put the SD Card on a tablet and the folders appear empty but many files are there, like super user and the ROM's zip.....

Help please mighty developers! :(

Reactions: LilBit
I'm doing this...

cd /system/bin
ls fcsk*
fsck_msdos
mount

(here it shows a bunch of stuff and then I'm supposed to use:
umount /dev/block/ and something to specify the SD card... but can't find what. I tried mmcb0p5 18, 7, and 17 but all are "not found " )

well it should be mmcblk1p1 bur that depends on if you have a sd-ext... mmcblk0pxx is your internal storage and mmcblk1pxx is your sd card... have you tried rebooting the phone and maybe giving it a power cycle?

Upvote 0
I'm doing this...

cd /system/bin
ls fcsk*
fsck_msdos
mount

(here it shows a bunch of stuff and then I'm supposed to use:
umount /dev/block/ and something to specify the SD card... but can't find what. I tried mmcb0p5 18, 7, and 17 but all are "not found " )

The card should get mounted at /mnt/sdcard. You may have directories in there as well if your tablet has internal SD storage.

Upvote 0
The card should get mounted at /mnt/sdcard. You may have directories in there as well if your tablet has internal SD storage.

yep the tablet shows directories and files, warp doesn't. So right now I'm using hexamob targeting the tablet's internal memory as destination. Let's see much I can salvage. Thanks! :D

Upvote 0
Well no results but I'll put what I did and what I understood about how it is supposed to work... for future generations Lol...

In the terminal emulator I started by using this line:

ls /system/bin/fsc* /system/xbin/fsc*

That "ls" lists all available fsck options, like:

fsck.exfat
fack_msdos

Then using the command

mount

It gives you a bunch of data, but the one we are looking is the SD card's route. I identify it by /mnt/sdcard In the warp but in the tablet I used, it was: /mnt/extsd.
So, before those it's a direction that should look like:

/dev/block/vold/179:33

I noticed that the number changes every time even on the same device, so that is why I looked for the /mnt/sdcard line.

Well, after that you are supposed to unmount the card in order to attempt the recovery using

umount /dev/block/vold/179:33

In this case or directly in the storage option in the phone settings.

For me, several times it said "not found " but it was due my defective card .

Then the all mighty fsck command.
Using one of the listed at the beginning like this:

fsck_msdos /dev/block/vold/179:33

And that is supposed to fix any fixable errors.

If you want to show something it should be like:

fsck_msdos -C -r /dev/block/vold/179:33

Where -C tells the console to show and -r to ask you before attempting to fix errors.

I never got there because I lacked the "rights to do it" no idea why, I guess it was more like my card is done for...

So there you have, I hope it helps someone out there. And please remember that I'm a total noob at Linux and consequently at Android's inner works...

:D

P.S. pardon my bad syntax both in the command lines and in English, they're not in any way my first language Lol... :p

Upvote 0
Well no results but I'll put what I did and what I understood about how it is supposed to work... for future generations Lol...

In the terminal emulator I started by using this line:

ls /system/bin/fsc* /system/xbin/fsc*

That "ls" lists all available fsck options, like:

fsck.exfat
fack_msdos

Then using the command

mount

It gives you a bunch of data, but the one we are looking is the SD card's route. I identify it by /mnt/sdcard In the warp but in the tablet I used, it was: /mnt/extsd.
So, before those it's a direction that should look like:

/dev/block/vold/179:33

I noticed that the number changes every time even on the same device, so that is why I looked for the /mnt/sdcard line.

Well, after that you are supposed to unmount the card in order to attempt the recovery using

umount /dev/block/vold/179:33

In this case or directly in the storage option in the phone settings.

For me, several times it said "not found " but it was due my defective card .

If you want to show something it should be like:

fsck_msdos -C -r /dev/block/vold/179:33

Where -C tells the console to show and -r to ask you before attempting to fix errors.

I never got there because I lacked the "rights to do it" no idea why, I guess it was more like my card is done for...

So there you have, I hope it helps someone out there. And please remember that I'm a total noob at Linux and consequently at Android's inner works...

:D

P.S. pardon my bad syntax both in the command lines and in English, they're not in any way my first language Lol... :p

I completely understand:)

Upvote 0

Ah, I get it now. FSCK = FileSystem ChecK. Like the good old chkdsk in DOS. :)

Just FYI, you can type SUDO in front of a command to execute it at root level, ensuring you have the "rights" to execute it, or just type SU once before anything else to elevate your terminal session to root level, allowing all the following commands complete access to the system. Of course your tablet would've had to be rooted to have that available...

Overall, thanks for the info! I learned a little more Linux from this. :)

Upvote 0
Ah, I get it now. FSCK = FileSystem ChecK. Like the good old chkdsk in DOS. :)

Just FYI, you can type SUDO in front of a command to execute it at root level, ensuring you have the "rights" to execute it, or just type SU once before anything else to elevate your terminal session to root level, allowing all the following commands complete access to the system. Of course your tablet would've had to be rooted to have that available...

Overall, thanks for the info! I learned a little more Linux from this. :)

Oh! I'll try that later!

Sure the tablet is rooted :D

Upvote 0
Hey guys i need help i know their are a bunch of websites about having problems with installing and updating apps due to .asec folders and etc.. But i need help deleting that folder its on my phone NOT ON MY SD CARD and checked that folder and it has nothing but i cant delete it ..any help? Please and thank you

I remember once I downloaded something that was a folder with endless folders inside on my SD card.... I read it on my laptop and it said it was 80 gigabytes so I was wat I think dis is virus and I couldn't get rid of it except through formatting the sd card. Full wipe fixed it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones