• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] [SPH-L710][CWM ADV.] OFFICIAL PhilZ-Touch Recovery 6.0 [11.24.13]

Would that be a reason I got a error message when I rooted my galaxy s3 this past weekend? Everything went without a hitch until it came time to flash the stock ROM and I got a error message and it wouldn't let me flash it. Thankfully I had the cyanogenmod 11 Rom and pa Google apps already on my SD card so I flashed that. As of now though I have no nandroid backup on my SD card because I just went right to a custom Rom lol. I guess I'm asking is there any known issues flashing that stock mk5 Rom?

Go to the Philz Touch thread on XDA; Phil and CNexus had some back and forth yesterday about what is currently going on with recoveries and why there are compatibility issues involving 4.3 and 4.4 being flashed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2446393&page=27

Start with post #262 and read from there. Phil has a really good response when CNexus says that Philz Touch is the only recovery with the 4.3 flashing issue; he basically says that Philz is so much more advanced than TWRP or CWM and that he is the leader, not them, and it is not his problem to mimic what the "lesser" recoveries are doing.

Here is the link for the FAQ in the main Philz Touch thread as well, look at FAQ #10 and #11:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=43707326&postcount=8

Upvote 0
It could have been your recovery. What was the error message?

I'm sorry I wish I knew exactly what it said. I would try to flash the mk5 stock zip file and my recovery would strep to flash it because the error wouldn't come until like 10 seconds after it was trying to install it. I was just wondering if the newer version of this recovery is for kit Kat Roms only

Upvote 0
I'm sorry I wish I knew exactly what it said. I would try to flash the mk5 stock zip file and my recovery would strep to flash it because the error wouldn't come until like 10 seconds after it was trying to install it. I was just wondering if the newer version of this recovery is for kit Kat Roms only

Just wanted to throw this out there. There is a possibility that you got a bad download. It's not as rare as people think to get a bad download and a ROM not flash. It's happened to me quite a few times. I don't know if that's what's going on but if I get a ROM that will not flash I'll re-download the ROM and try it again. Just make sure that you have a good backup of the ROM you are running now.

Reactions: dizzle16
Upvote 0
Just wanted to throw this out there. There is a possibility that you got a bad download. It's not as rare as people think to get a bad download and a ROM not flash. It's happened to me quite a few times. I don't know if that's what's going on but if I get a ROM that will not flash I'll re-download the ROM and try it again. Just make sure that you have a good backup of the ROM you are running now.

Yes I made one of my current Rom. Thanks for the advice

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Anyone had any problems restoring backups? I have a backup I made right before flashing a rom and went to restore it and Philz reboots itself back to recovery while restoring data. I'm using the lastest version but went ahead and tried an older version (like real old, 6.0) and the same thing happens. This has me considering TWRP because this kind of ****** me. I have multiple older backups, and a newer one I just made to try things out that work fine. It's just this one backup, which passes it's MD5 checks and everything.

Upvote 0
Anyone had any problems restoring backups? I have a backup I made right before flashing a rom and went to restore it and Philz reboots itself back to recovery while restoring data. I'm using the lastest version but went ahead and tried an older version (like real old, 6.0) and the same thing happens. This has me considering TWRP because this kind of ****** me. I have multiple older backups, and a newer one I just made to try things out that work fine. It's just this one backup, which passes it's MD5 checks and everything.

I've had no issues at all with the newest release. In fact I used to have an issue when restoring backups, it would fail the md5 check, and now they all pass.

Upvote 0
Have boost s3 4.4.2 ota stock rooted rom. My recovery is Philz 6.47.7. I have searched the forums and read the Philz FAQ but am still confused. I keep my original Philz backup in the folder it was created in. This is my emergency go to. My other backups are on my personal network drive. If I want to use one of those backups, where is the best place to copy it in internal memory? I find my original backup in at least four locations in internal memory. These locations appear to be linked together and may in reality be "pointing" to the same place in memory. I find the same backup file in:

1. /storage/emulated/0/clockworkmod/backup/
2. /storage/sdcard0/clockworkmod/backup/
3. /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/
4. /data/media/0/clockworkmod/backup/

If I understand at all, the /data/media/0/clockworkmod/backup/ directory is the proper place to copy a backup to. But as I started out with, I'm confused.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hello all,
It has been quite a while since i had a Samsung phone on boost. I have had 2 different HTC phones for the last 3 years, give or take. It is nice to see some old names from the prevail days, Wetbiker, and Wyelkins.

that being said I am a little nervous about rooting this phone. I have read multiple forums about Philz recovery, and towelroot, etc. What alarms me is the "outdated" forums. It seems to me that i can use Odin to flash philz and it should ask me if i want to root as well. Does that sound about right?
If someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I have downloaded Odin3-v3.04
Philz_touch_6.48..4-D2lte.tar.md5

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones