1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Boost Mobile] [SPH-L710][CWM ADV.] OFFICIAL PhilZ-Touch Recovery 6.0 [11.24.13]

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdsingle76, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Heloguy

Heloguy Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Male
    Matawan,NJ
    Im having a huge problem. Since rooting, I cannot make phone calls, and have no data. I am not getting the 3G or 4G symbol up on the notification bar.
    Please help!

Edit: fixed. I dont know what happened, but I updated the profile and PRL, and now all is well, again.

Advertisement

jaymzway likes this.
  2. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal
    The profile update did it. Glad you got it working. Good to see you in here bro. :D:thumbup:

3. Heloguy

None

Apr 19, 2011
    Male
    Matawan,NJ
    Same here! I look forward to the craziness of the old Prevail days. The little phone that could!

4. wyelkins

wyelkins Android Expert
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    Financial Services
    Savannah, GA
    Glad to have you back. I still have my Prevail! But I mostly use it as a backup alarm clock and MP3 player.

Had my S3 for a year now and it has been a fun ride. The hardware still holds up nicely with the newest roms.

Sounds like you are reading and figuring everything out. Lots of good folks here to help out too.

5. Heloguy

None

Apr 19, 2011
    Male
    Matawan,NJ
    It's good to be where the action is. I just came from the HTC One SV. It was a good phone, but very little development.

6. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal
    Speaking of the Prevail, I still have one too. I've got it set up as an mp3 player for the wife and she loves it. Heck, I've still got my Marquee too lol!! I'll probably never sell either of them. They hold too many good memories and are very dependable. :D

steelyus1 likes this.
  7. GreenThumbz

GreenThumbz Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2014
    Female
    Hi everyone this is my first post here! *as the eyes roll* I do appreciate all of the input and threads I have seen helping noobs like me understand how to install ROMs on our devices! I understand it is annoying for people to ask repeated questions so I apologize in advance if this has been covered already! It's just that I have been working on this for the past couple days searching all over the net and my brain is starting to hurt :(

So I have a Samsung S3 SPH-L710 (Boost) version 4.3

1) Downloaded Philz Recovery with Odin-

-I downloaded Odin v3.09 and Philz Touch 6.48.4 onto my computer

2) I followed the Youtube tutorial: "Samsung Galaxy S3 Philz Touch Advanced CWM Recovery installed via Odin!"

3) But when I tried to add the Philz Touch into the AP, I got the error message "md5 error: Binary is Invalid".

Anyone know where I went wrong?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Can I do a normal android restart from the downloading state or am I stuck until I fix this issue..?

8. wyelkins

wyelkins Android Expert
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    Financial Services
    Savannah, GA
    Sounds like Odin never even got started so your phone should still be OK.

Either your download is corrupt or you downloaded a recovery flashable zip for Philz instead of the Odin flashable version. Philz usually provides both. Once you Odin Philz you can use the recovery zips to update to a newer version.

GreenThumbz likes this.
  9. kevindroid

kevindroid Android Expert

Oct 7, 2010
    Male
    electrician
    baltimore

GreenThumbz likes this.
  10. morro

morro Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Male
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Hello! I bought my S3 yesterday, can anyone please tell me what method would be the right one to install CWM and root? Here is my system info:

Software version:
    L710TVPU0ANF4

Hardware version:
    L710T.03

Model number:
    SPH-L710T

Android version:

Baseband Version:
    L710TTVPU0ANF4

Kernel version:
    3.4.0-1683363dpi@SWDD5902#1 Mon Jun 23 22:47:29 KST 2014

Build number:
    KOT49H.L710TVPU0ANF4

SE for Android status:
    Enforcing SEPF_SPH-L710T_4.4.2_0016 Mon Jun 23 22:47:17 2014

I am new working with the S series, so, any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

11. kevindroid

Oct 7, 2010
    Male
    electrician
    baltimore
    the needed files are in the link above your post. install usb drivers and odin on your computer. use odin to install philz touch. read up on how to use odin and philz touch before attempting this. ask questions if not sure we dont like bricks

GreenThumbz and morro like this.
  12. morro

morro Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Male
    Moreno Valley, CA
    I'm starting to undertand the process of installing of Philz Touch recovery. Question, What's in the "SAVE MY ASS BOOST S3.ZIP"? Thanks in advance.

13. morro

morro Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Male
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Nevermind, now I know what is "save my ass zip" thanks

14. morro

morro Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Male
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Question, will the Philz method root SPH-L710 and SPH-L710T? Will it make a difference? mine is SPH-L710T. Once again, thanks.

15. GreenThumbz

GreenThumbz Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2014
    Female
    So close yet so far.. thanks a lot for the zip file Kevindroid! I was able to finally flash philz recovery.. NOW my problem is trying to flash/push MOAR MK5 using Odin3. I have the new version (v1.85). I was trying to flash MOAR using PDA in Odin, however even after extracting the files, I'm not able to find the files I need to flash it when I browse the folders. And I think I bricked my phone. It won't get past the Samsung screen. I was able to get back to Philz recovery, then download mode, then I think I bricked it again :(

This is getting way more complicated for me than expected...

But thanks again for at least helping me with Philz Recovery...

Update: I was able to get back to Philz Recovery by playing around with the recovery buttons (vol up + home + power). I think my mistake was not saving the ROM onto my sdcard. Is there a way to transfer it or flash it from my computer?

Update 2: I transferred the zip file to my sdcard and Philz Recovery doesn't seem to be picking that up either.

16. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    You should have made a nandroid backup using philz first before attempting anything. Now when you flash a rom you do it in philz not odin. You can't flash any of the new stuff if still on 4.3 or you will brick for sure. If you didn't make a backup you can just try flashing the rom in philz and see what happens. You can also flash one of Jdsingles fixes using odin. If you do get it working first thing to do is make a backup using philz so if a problem does happen you can just restore that backup and all usually is back to normal.
    Like I said if on 4.3 bootloader do not use any of the 4.4 bootloader stuff and vice versa.

GreenThumbz likes this.
  17. GreenThumbz

GreenThumbz Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2014
    Female
    I did make a backup.. and when I tried to restore nothing happened. It just stayed on the Samsung screen, maybe i didn't wait long enough. I haven't flashed the ROM yet, because I couldn't even locate the ROM file (I was trying to use Odin). But now that I know I'm supposed to use Phil's Recovery, what are the steps specifically to flash the ROM in Philz? All the tutorials I see just say "flash the ROM", but don't say step by step how it's done (for noobz like me). But it's good to know that I wasn't using the right version of MOAR before I tried flashing, I thought it said MK5 worked with 4.3...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

18. kevindroid

Oct 7, 2010
    Male
    electrician
    baltimore
    download moar rom 4.3 version
    place on sd card
    enter recovery mode
    wipe cache and dalvik cache (or use wipe to install rom recommended)
    locate and flash rom
    wipe cache
    wipe dalvik donot wipe to install rom
    reboot

im assuming you used the wipe to install rom and did not install a rom. nowhere to boot to not a brick take your time philz has options read

GreenThumbz likes this.
  19. GreenThumbz

GreenThumbz Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2014
    Female
    The zip file right?

So you need to wipe before and after you flash the rom? Then it says "donot wipe to install rom"?

Whew good to know! Now if only I can successfully save MOAR 4.3 on my SD card.. This is like my 4th day attempting this and I'm getting rather impatient.

Thanks you're awesome!! I'll update once I get home and try it out.

20. GreenThumbz

GreenThumbz Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2014
    Female
    Also in the sticky thread below, under 4.3 ROMs, he has MOAR MK5 as compatible..?

Working ROMS/MODS/KERNELS/MODEMS/ECT for the Boost S3

21. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal
    That's right. MOAR is compatible with both MK5 and the Boost modem MK3. I have updated to 4.4.2 KitKat and I'm not entirely sure it will work with the NDC or ND8 modems because I didn't try it after the update. I started using Wicked-X and Conquest when I updated to 4.4.2. You'll have to check and see if any others who've taken the 4.4.2 update have gotten it to work. I'm pretty sure it will but not 100%.

Most of the other older ROMs will work with the 4.4.2 boot loader. The only reason I can't say for sure it'll work with the 4.4.2 update is because MOAR actually states in the OP that it's modem specific. The older modem.

22. jaymzway

jaymzway Android Enthusiast
    None

Yes I also agree and plenty of options as well and easy to use very easy...

GreenThumbz likes this.
  23. GreenThumbz

GreenThumbz Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2014
    Female
    I don't have kitkat, I have 4.3. I ended up running to Best Buy to buy another phone. I can't figure out what to do at this point. I've been googling like crazy to try to find answers. I downloaded the MOAR MK3 zip file onto my internal sd drive. It was super quick, so I'm wondering if all the files were there.

I went on Philz Recovery and "installed a zip" .Picked the MK3 file. Flashed it. Was in a boot loop. Tried clearing my cache in recovery.. rebooted, then couldn't even get the phone to get back into recovery mode. I give up at this point.

24. wetbiker7

None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    So-Cal
    Well, the quick download should have been a red flag. That ROM is large and takes time to download.

If you can get into download mode I would go ahead and flash the stock update 4.4.2 ROM, then use Odin to flash the newest d2lte build of Philz. After that you can root the stock ROM or skip that and just flash a custom ROM that's already rooted. Two 4.4.2 TouchWiz ROMs I recommend are Wicked - X or Conquest. You also have the options to flash the newest AOSP ROMs like ASAP, Liquidsmooth, CM11, etc.

jaymzway likes this.
  25. Nickforever216

Nickforever216 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 5, 2014
    Male
    College + Crap College Job
    USA, Cleveland, Ohio
    Searched this thread and didn't see my problem. Maybe I missed it or not. Anyways when I try restoring a backup all it says is "No file" Anyone got suggestions?