1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Boost Mobile] stock messaging 4.3 app question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cornelljdavis, Feb 9, 2014.

1. cornelljdavis

cornelljdavis Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Male
    Is there a way to get the 4.3 gaps messaging app? I'm running cm11 but it has hangouts and not everyone I text has a smartphone or better yet moms don't have a smartphone so she has no hangouts capabilities... I want the original stock app. I read in the cm thread to flash pagapps if I wanted that app and the original gapps as opposed to 4.4gapps. However when I flashed the ROM and the pagapps I got hangouts. So if someone could help that'd be great. Oh yeah I would've put this in the cm thread however I thought I did days ago and didn't and didn't feel like today so if it gets moved its cool just was trying to get noticed and get this issue resolved.

Advertisement

2. rickpcb

rickpcb Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2012
    Male
    St Augustine, FL
    4.3 Gapps will not work with CM11. There are other packages for 4.4 based roms that will work and have messaging. I am running 4.4.2 AOSB and I use this light Gapps:

Dev-Host - gapps-kk-20131031.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Flash in recovery as usual. I pulled the link from the AOSB thread on XDA. I imagine this version will work fine as AOSB is CM11 based...

Edit- What I mean is it will not overwrite messaging with hangouts...

cornelljdavis likes this.
  3. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal
    Bro, you should have a stock messaging app that came with the ROM. The stock messaging app is not in GAPPS.

Here is the stock mms apk from Vanir 4.3-

Mms

patsfann and cornelljdavis like this.
  4. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    The person on the other end doesn't need Hangouts, they just need the ability to do SMS/MMS on their phone. Hangouts functions just like any other messaging app in terms of sending and receiving text messages, there is just added functionality if the other person also has Hangouts installed.

cornelljdavis likes this.
  5. cornelljdavis

cornelljdavis Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Male
    Thanks guys. So if I was to text my mom on her non smart wack whatever she got....it will go through as regular and not require her to hit a link and setup anything like apps do sometimes?

6. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Correct. As I mentioned, Hangouts functions just like any other messaging app when just doing basic text messaging, doesn't matter what the other person has installed so long as they can text on their phone as well. If you still want another option, I really, really like EvolveSMS and have been using it for a while now, and my buddy @wetbiker7 recommends Chomp SMS, if you would like another third-party messaging alternative.

7. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Some of the GApps packages do overwrite the stock messaging app; however, the app should be available for a reinstall via Titanium Backup if you scroll down to the apps that have backup data but have a strike-through because they aren't currently installed.

wetbiker7 likes this.
  8. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Male
    USN Vet. / Certified Drug and Alcohol Abuse Counse
    So-Cal
    Yes Siree buddy. I love Chompsms. It's a great app and even allows the user to set the proxies not to mention it's ability to be customized/themed.

As with all apps like this, I recommend getting out there and trying the ones people are recommending or have a nice feedback score. Then make your decision. :)

Best of luck. I'm sure you'll find the one that fits you.

struckn likes this.
  9. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Same reasons why I like Evolve! Hangouts has grown on me, but it needs built-in theming/customization. Team Black Out does a nice job with their Cleared Out and Blacked Out versions, but they have to rebuild each time Hangouts updates, which is a pain in the butt for them and leaves their users waiting for the new release from TBO. You would think that Google would get a clue and pay attention to how many alternate takes are offered when it comes to the look and feel of their apps; they certainly choose some of the ugliest UI features, especially when it comes to color combinations. Play Store has to be the worst offender, I theme that first thing when flashing a new ROM. Thankfully, most of the themes for Theme Chooser will theme the Play Store as well, but it can be themed independently also.

wetbiker7 likes this.
  10. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    I guess ask and you shall receive-Team Black Out just released their themed version of Hangouts to correspond with the update from a few days ago!! Makes me a happy camper-new Carbon nightly to flash after their server was getting upgraded for a few days, and I can flash this with it!

11. munguse

munguse Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    Male
    NorCal
    Messaging related question. With the stock message app, or any third party messaging app, does anyone else or is it just me that gets incoming pictures resized. Everytime I get a picture, I see the size before downloading but when it actually gets downloaded the resolution and file size is much smaller. I'm running MOAR 9.0.1 on a Boost S3. Even on Stock Boost ROM this happens. Tried GOSMS's preserve resolution feature but did not help. Sending to contacts on other carriers and even mms to email, pictures arrive there as they left with the same size and resolution. Just incoming is resized. I searched the forum but almost all the mms resizing posts were outgoing related and not incoming.

This is the size before downloading
    1.jpg

And this is after downloading
    2.jpg