• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] SuperSU

Same info needed here. I was of the understanding that I could use SuperSU to remove preinstalled apps that I don't want. I have successfully rooted phone, Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830i, as confirmed by RootValidator, but the only app I see in SuperSU is RootValidator. Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums, Pangit. :)
You can use Titanium Backup to freeze or delete apps. Be very careful what you delete as many system apps can't (or are very difficult) to restore.
Make sure to make a nandroid backup through Clockwork, or whichever custom recovery you've flashed before deleting apps.

Upvote 0
I was hoping to be able to check some settings that are unavailable to nonadministrators. I have issues with streaming video that needs looking into.

If you could elaborate on those issues, we'd probably be able to help.

Might also be worth asking folk who own your device? It might be a common issue. I can move this thread there if you like?

Upvote 0
Bastian0528,

I use root explorer. When I first rooted my phone I installed it. You have to be rooted to use it and either the app or SuperUser will ask if you want to give it SU rights. Anyway, I was told never to delete stock apps just create a storage folder for them in Root Explorer as these are system apps and like dreadnatty08 said could cause some issues if deleted, so be very careful.

Upvote 0
Hate to revive an old thread, but I installed SuperSU (updates and all) on my roommate's Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 816. The phone has been rooted and my Recovery interface is CWM (Clockwork).
Should I just go ahead and download the Titanium backup app and use another app to remove the bloatware?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Titanium Backup is its 'Freeze' and 'Defrost' features which can be really useful. With some of the bloatware removal apps if you delete some app you later want back, or some app tied to an important system-related process, that could be a problem. If you use TB to freeze an app, it stops that app from working and removes its icon from your App menu. If you later want to restore said app just defrost it and it's usable again (and its icon is back in your App menu).
If storage space is an issue you might be better off deleting unwanted apps, but using TB instead to freeze/defrost apps is a good way to free up system resources but still have a way to restore a particular app that you might need or want later.

Upvote 0
Well I did do just that! Some apps reinstall themselves after restarting the phone though .
Titanium Backup is its 'Freeze' and 'Defrost' features which can be really useful. With some of the bloatware removal apps if you delete some app you later want back, or some app tied to an important system-related process, that could be a problem. If you use TB to freeze an app, it stops that app from working and removes its icon from your App menu. If you later want to restore said app just defrost it and it's usable again (and its icon is back in your App menu).
If storage space is an issue you might be better off deleting unwanted apps, but using TB instead to freeze/defrost apps is a good way to free up system resources but still have a way to restore a particular app that you might need or want later.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones