• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] what is currently the best rom

i just want something that is different then alien warp and is fully functional wifi data camera etc. I just got my phone turned back on after almost 3 months. my next phone as soon as i can save up the money im thinking about getting the optimus f7.

my phone is pretty slow rightnow because off all the apps ive got and i want to start clean with a new rom.

I could update alien but im not sure how muchhas been updated since 1.0.4

i seen cm10 but it said wifiis buggy and i use wifi alot.
i think alien warp is still runnig android 2.5 what is the warp up to now os wise?

i hear cm10 has the best features but im not sure if i should try it

Upvote 0
Well all our warps run android 2.5 because boost mobile never gave this phone o.s updates cm ten runs android 4.1and yea wifi is buggy and halo bean runs 2.5 fully functional with lots off goodies if ur like me then u want functional so id use halobean till cm10 gets its next update but im a flip flopper lol i switch roms monthly or everytime one updates im a new old phone addict lol

Upvote 0
i just rooted my phone and was kinda looking at n00b VIII.II, but looks like it is discontinued, and does anyone know what would replace it, cuz it sure sounded like it was a cool rom, but the thread was like maybe last year. i was looking for the built in wifi tethering, but i read somewhere about using barnacle after you rooted your phone. any advice for a guy just getting started? Thanks.

Upvote 0
i just rooted my phone and was kinda looking at n00b VIII.II, but looks like it is discontinued, and does anyone know what would replace it, cuz it sure sounded like it was a cool rom, but the thread was like maybe last year. i was looking for the built in wifi tethering, but i read somewhere about using barnacle after you rooted your phone. any advice for a guy just getting started? Thanks.

Hey, there! Welcome to Android Forums :)

Yes, n00b has been officially shelved, but the three major Gingerbread-based ROMs currently available for the Warp (DroidSmith, HaloBean and Warp OEM) all now have built-in wireless tethering without the need for any external apps.

Reactions: cmpyutr
Upvote 0
In my opinion, there's no straightforward "best" ROM. It all depends on what you want to get out of your phone, really. As Mercury stated, the three main Gingerbread (2.3.5) ROMs are DroidSmith, WarpOEM, and HaloBean.

Jimsmith80's DroidSmith (currently 1.7.3): Probably the fastest ROM here, pulls average benchmarks of around 7500 (AnTuTu). As the author states, it's intended to be as stable (and fast) as possible, with very little pre-installed software.

Mercury0x000d's WarpOEM (currently 2.70): Slower than DroidSmith, but not by much, with average benchmarks around 6000 (AnTuTu). This ROM is designed around a unified "Warp" theme and performance. This ROM provides a bit more pre-installed software.

Skinnyjeans21's HaloBean (currently 8): Averages around 3000 in benchmarks (Quadrant). This ROM is aimed at reproducing the look and feel of Android's JellyBean UI, and is very extensively themed. There's not much additional software as of the current release.

This is hardly all the information about these ROMs, you should read up on each of them. That being said, HaloBean is my current daily driver, prior to that it was the (now discontinued) Shinjitsu ROM.

DM47021 is also working on CM10 (JellyBean 4.1.2) and progress is coming along nicely for it (currently Beta 1.1).

This is not in any way intended to make any ROM sound better or worse than any other. All of the authors put in a huge amount of effort and work to make their ROMs the best they can be. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Upvote 0
Are you basing the scores on AnTuTu benchmarks or Quadrant Standard benchmarks? I've never seen any of the three roms get 3000 in antutu or more than 3800 in quadrant. From my tests, the three roms are pretty much neck to neck to neck. We do need to bring up that old benchmarking thread to make sure the benches are all up to date though :(

I'm going by what the respective authors have posted in their threads, as well as personal testing for yours.

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry, and I'll fix it, but that's what I saw in each thread.

I think the authors used AnTuTu, and I used Quadrant on HaloBean.

Upvote 0
antutu uses a different grading scale than quadrant... I'll have to run benches on both to see where its at performancewise because honestly I've just been trying to optimize crap here and there >.> I do all my benches in quadrant, which is why it gets around 3000, which is actually a high number for the Warp. After loading it down with apps it gets about 2800-3000 as well, so testing conditions for the three would have to be the same for comparison. I'll run tests on the three and post them in here for everyone to see as well and maybe a new thread can be made for new users to go and check out features and such so they can choose a rom to their liking :D

Upvote 0
antutu uses a different grading scale than quadrant... I'll have to run benches on both to see where its at performancewise because honestly I've just been trying to optimize crap here and there >.> I do all my benches in quadrant, which is why it gets around 3000, which is actually a high number for the Warp. After loading it down with apps it gets about 2800-3000 as well, so testing conditions for the three would have to be the same for comparison. I'll run tests on the three and post them in here for everyone to see as well and maybe a new thread can be made for new users to go and check out features and such so they can choose a rom to their liking :D

I thought as much, but it was all I had to go on short notice and for a brief overview. I figure since you integrated PurePerfomances and all, and cleaned things up, it probably is faster.

By no means is the score meant to make your ROM look slower. Like I said, this is all just info taken from the posts by each ROM's author, and not intended to make any ROM look better than another. And HB 8 is my daily, after all.

Upvote 0
Well might wanna specify that different benchmarking applications were used to clarify it so as to not confuse users. And PurePerformanceX actually loads down the rom in some areas and speeds up others. Kinda figure that out when Dm mentioned that when you start adding stuff to the Warp crap eventually breaks- even if I just trimmed the signal indicators a bit to theme it -__- PPX actually slowed down the rom a bit overall but boosted the scores...? Weird

Upvote 0
Well might wanna specify that different benchmarking applications were used to clarify it so as to not confuse users. And PurePerformanceX actually loads down the rom in some areas and speeds up others. Kinda figure that out when Dm mentioned that when you start adding stuff to the Warp crap eventually breaks- even if I just trimmed the signal indicators a bit to theme it -__- PPX actually slowed down the rom a bit overall but boosted the scores...? Weird

I actually neglected to mention it, but when I posted in the HB thread that I got a score of 3050, it was higher than with PPX flashed, which was around 2800. Of course, it was flashed and not actually integrated like you did, so I'm not sure if that has any impact. I'll also throw in a disclaimer for the scores.

Upvote 0
okay, i'm gonna give halo bean a shot. then I might try the others too. first, here is my plan for installation. can you tell me if it is correct?
1. using cwm recovery, boot to recovery (volume up + power on)
2. factory reset
3. wipe cache
4. advanced, wipe dalvik
5. install zip from sd card (which I had previously copied over from pc)
6. reboot
7. repeat 3 & 4

same thing when I want to do droidsmith and warpoem?

Upvote 0
1. using cwm recovery, boot to recovery (volume up + power on)
2. Make nandroid backup
3. factory reset
4. wipe cache
5. advanced, wipe dalvik
6. Wipe system
7. install zip from sd card (which I had previously copied over from pc)
8. reboot

Fixed it for ya :) and yes same when switching to another rom, only you can skip making a nandroid if you already have one but you may lose new data so that's totally option after the first time

Upvote 0
Oh, yeah! So very fine. Make nandroid backup. How did I leave that out??? Thank you.

Okay, item 6. Wipe system. Don't see that on my recovery menu, and I am a little afraid to poke around. Is it on the cwm recovery menu? Or how would I do that step?

Thanks so much. I am very excited.

It should be in Mounts and Storage, find "Wipe /System" in the menu :)

Reactions: cmpyutr
Upvote 0
Hey, there! Welcome to Android Forums :)

Yes, n00b has been officially shelved, but the three major Gingerbread-based ROMs currently available for the Warp (DroidSmith, HaloBean and Warp OEM) all now have built-in wireless tethering without the need for any external apps.

maybe someone should ask Mr Bobo if they can continue to work on NOOB. it was definitely the best Rom for a long time. and before that shinjitsu was ground breaking. usually devs would love they're work to live on and with permission and proper credits in the op will allow someone to keep it alive and to date

Upvote 0
maybe someone should ask Mr Bobo if they can continue to work on NOOB. it was definitely the best Rom for a long time. and before that shinjitsu was ground breaking. usually devs would love they're work to live on and with permission and proper credits in the op will allow someone to keep it alive and to date

Its what I did with Halo ROM, since the OP gave me his rom as a gift but it only had one release and BAM concrete cutter to the knee as well as a dead device. I'm sure Mr. Bobo would give permission for it since he's no longer working on it, but the thing is, to whom would he give that privilege?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones