• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Working ROMS/MODS/KERNELS/MODEMS/ECT for the Boost S3

take it from a full fledged phone WHORE! the s5 is NOT worth the money. I am coming to boost from TMO and had the s3 and s4 (which was a definite upgrade). But s4 to s5, worthless. But everytime, ALWAYS came back to the s3!

and TMO just got WAY expensive and Boost has gotten a TON better since my BB8350i and plans are better (granted I'm in a Metropolitan city with good coverage).

I have been checking out the S5 also. But having the S4, too many needless features to charge more money for. I'm waiting for the G3 or even the Xperia Z series to come to boost.

We'll see, but for now, I have to save the cash and pay for other things.
Same here I wouldn't mind buying a new phone if it's worth the money I would be saving for a while to get the s5 and the s5 is way too expensive for what it offers your really only paying for the name

Upvote 0
So it was the gaps...that's why I said "You really could just try to install the rom first then the boost apn zip to get data then let it boot don't install the gapps because I'm sure that's probably what's making it fcs once the rom boots let it sit for about 10 seconds reboot back into recovery then install the gapps and if you get fcs then it's the version of pa gapps your using"
I knew it wasn't the rom because that didn't make sense that everything you flashed crashed

Thanks wetbicker for handling this guy because I got busy
I think we maybe need to post a in the red font under the asop section of this thread FLASH THE NEWEST VERSION OF GAPPS UPDATED OR YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES lol
Um, no. I flashed the GAPPS that was recommended by AOKP and is provided in their link for 4.4 and it crashed nonstop. :(

And a great many posts suggest only ever flashing the gapps that the rom maker recommends... so that's what I did. And guess what? it crashed endlessly. So did liquidsmooth, so did SOKP, and all of that. :mad:

It was only when trying that build of gapps did things actually start to work properly. Which is more than I can say for my AOSP experience up to that point. :thinking:

In any case, with everything else going on, the last thing I needed was for my phone to be crashing along with everything else.

Upvote 0
So it was the gaps...that's why I said "You really could just try to install the rom first then the boost apn zip to get data then let it boot don't install the gapps because I'm sure that's probably what's making it fcs once the rom boots let it sit for about 10 seconds reboot back into recovery then install the gapps and if you get fcs then it's the version of pa gapps your using"
I knew it wasn't the rom because that didn't make sense that everything you flashed crashed

Thanks wetbicker for handling this guy because I got busy
I think we maybe need to post a in the red font under the asop section of this thread FLASH THE NEWEST VERSION OF GAPPS UPDATED OR YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES lol

No problem. He followed the steps that always work for me and thankfully they worked for him as well. I Flash the ROM, the new PA 0-Day GAPPS Mini Modular package then the APN FIX. I've been flashing the GAPPS right after the ROM since the CM and Carbon teams started recommending it. I added the APN FIX, found that it worked and have been using that sequence ever since. That way I'm ready to go as soon as I boot out of Philz.

I've also been using the PA 0-Day GAPPS on the advice of Struckn and haven't had and issues. I do recommend staying away from the full Google package (the very 1st package) . It replaces the AOSP apps with Google Apps. That package pulls the messaging app and replaces it with Hangouts along with some other apps that AOSP ROMs need.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the Play update will hang. A quick reboot solves that. Since taking the Kit Kat update, that no longer happens when flashing the AOSP ROMS. Since many are not running the ND8 update, I do need to go back and add the part about the Play update getting stuck and that a reboot will fix it. I'll get that taken care of today.

As for adding new flashing steps in the AOSP section, I actually did it last night. Seems you and I were thinking the same thing lol. :)The actual flashing instructions are in bold black but the header above it is in blue and red. Take a look and tell me what you think. See if you think it sticks out well enough to grab your attention. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Um, no. I flashed the GAPPS that was recommended by AOKP and is provided in their link for 4.4 and it crashed nonstop. :(

And a great many posts suggest only ever flashing the gapps that the rom maker recommends... so that's what I did. And guess what? it crashed endlessly. So did liquidsmooth, so did SOKP, and all of that. :mad:

It was only when trying that build of gapps did things actually start to work properly. Which is more than I can say for my AOSP experience up to that point. :thinking:

In any case, with everything else going on, the last thing I needed was for my phone to be crashing along with everything else.

Glad you're up and running now.

I know it gets frustrating, especially with the pressure of only having one phone. I always have a cheap backup phone (like a $20 dollar burner) sitting in my office in case I hard brick one day.

Just a suggestion, maybe something to think about getting to ease your mind.:D

Upvote 0
Glad you're up and running now.

I know it gets frustrating, especially with the pressure of only having one phone. I always have a cheap backup phone (like a $20 dollar burner) sitting in my office in case I hard brick one day.

Just a suggestion, maybe something to think about getting to ease your mind.:D

I've got my old trust Marquee in there sitting on my desk. Lol.

Reactions: steelyus1
Upvote 0
No problem. He followed the steps that always work for me and thankfully they worked for him as well. I Flash the ROM, the new PA 0-Day GAPPS Mini Modular package then the APN FIX. I've been flashing the GAPPS right after the ROM since the CM and Carbon teams started recommending it. I added the APN FIX, found that it worked and have been using that sequence ever since. That way I'm ready to go as soon as I boot out of Philz.

I've also been using the PA 0-Day GAPPS on the advice of Struckn and haven't had and issues. I do recommend staying away from the full Google package (the very 1st package) . It replaces the AOSP apps with Google Apps. That package pulls the messaging app and replaces it with Hangouts along with some other apps that AOSP ROMs need.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the Play update will hang. A quick reboot solves that. Since taking the Kit Kat update, that no longer happens when flashing the AOSP ROMS. Since many are not running the ND8 update, I do need to go back and add the part about the Play update getting stuck and that a reboot will fix it. I'll get that taken care of today.

As for adding new flashing steps in the AOSP section, I actually did it last night. Seems you and I were thinking the same thing lol. :)The actual flashing instructions are in bold black but the header above it is in blue and red. Take a look and tell me what you think. See if you think it sticks out well enough to grab your attention. :thumbup:

Last night was my first time flashing an AOSP rom and I followed your flashing instructions exactly from a few posts above (and the AOKP thread for that matter, same instructions) and successfully flashed AOKP 5-13-14 nightly. Everything works, mms with hangouts. 4g, even voicemail is working 100% correctly (no need to forward to email) with the voicemail.apk I got from you awhile back. Many thanks! :) After running it for over 24 hours and going on a road trip today and snapping around 50 photos, I miss TW lol. It ran real smooth though. It's weird looking at running applications and seeing like 5. In the end, MOAR 6, WS 5, and my debloated MG2 are still my favorite. :( The search continues. Maybe I will knox up to ND8 (or similar) if it proves to be solid once the masses have it.

Upvote 0
UPDATE

I WROTE UP A TUTORIAL FOR A MEMBER IN ANOTHER THREAD LETTING HIM KNOW THE STEPS I WOULD TAKE TO SAFELY SAVE MY APPS AND APP DATA WHEN UPDATING OR CHANGING A ROM. I ALSO EXPLAINED HOW I WOULD SAFELY ADD THOSE APPS AND DATA TO THE NEW ROM.

IT HAS SOME GOOD INFO IN THE TUTORIAL AND EXPLAINS HOW TO USE PHILZ RECOVERY, TITANIUM BACKUP AND A COMPUTER TO ACCOMPLISH THE TASK.

I KNOW MANY OF YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO DO THIS BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A NICE ADDITION TO THIS THREAD IN THE EVENT A NEWCOMER HAS ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS SUBJECT IN THE FUTURE.

IF ANY OF YOU HAPPEN TO RUN ACROSS THIS QUESTION IN THE FORUM, WANT TO HELP THE MEMBER OUT AND SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME OF EXPLAINING HOW TO SAVE THE APPS AND DATA, PLEASE POINT THEM TO THIS POST IN THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION.

http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...-kernels-modems-ect-boost-s3.html#post6155151

THANKS,
Biker :)

Upvote 0
Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0

Yeah I understand sometimes developers don't link to the newest version of gapps which causes issues with the rom and especially when they say use this version only and someone who isn't experienced in asop roms doesn't know but they kinda assume you'll go get the newest version yourself since they're updated so often but glad you got what your looking for in the asop rom I know it was a lot of effort and if you didn't have the forms you probably would have accidentally flashed something and bricked it and none of us here want that we won't guide you into brick city lol but next time just try to stay calm flipping out makes you look bad and no one wants to help someone who's lashing out
Not picking on you I just hate when a mod has to say anything to anyone that's negative and rxpert83 is always watching and is right on time when something goes down on top it off it lol he probably know what's going to be said before you even type it lol

It was a learning experience and now if someone else needs help and wetbicker or myself or anyone who usually answers questions doesn't see the post you can handle it

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
The latest gapps can always be found here:[GAPPS][4.4.x/4.3.x] OFFICIAL Up-to-Date PA-GOOGLE APPS (All ROM's) [2014-05-24] - xda-developers

They should work for any AOSP ROM, provided you pick the correct android version
Not picking on you I just hate when a mod has to say anything to anyone that's negative and rxpert83 is always watching and is right on time when something goes down on top it off it lol he probably know what's going to be said before you even type it lol

:rofl:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Those are the GAPPS I always link people to. They are the best out there IMO. :thumb:

Agreed. Gapps aren't device specific, they're android version specific. So as long as you get the right version for your ROM you'll be good to go :thumbup:

ParanoidAndroid is great at keeping them up to date with googles most recent app updates. Somethimes I think too great ;)

Upvote 0
Well, supposedly this is the last day of my throttle punishment. If this is true I should be back on LTE tomorrow.

As God is my witness, I will never be throttled again.

Apologies to Scarlet O Hara, but this is Georgia, after all.

I switched to AICP from LiquidSmooth over the weekend and loving it so far. Also ran SOKP for over 24 hours. Nice Rom.

AICP has regular nightlies, so going to hang with that for a while.

Reactions: steelyus1
Upvote 0
My plan is to use public wifi as much as possible. I think that throttling is not controlled by the device. But, I got lazy last month and my LTE was decent speed. Didn't take long to use 2.5 GB. This new throttling is brutal. I don't want to go through another month of that. Using wifi during my work week won't be too tough.

Upvote 0
My plan is to use public wifi as much as possible. I think that throttling is not controlled by the device. But, I got lazy last month and my LTE was decent speed. Didn't take long to use 2.5 GB. This new throttling is brutal. I don't want to go through another month of that. Using wifi during my work week won't be too tough.

Yep this is what boost has forced us to do unless we want to be throttled to that horrible 2g I'm honestly really weighing my opinions on switching carriers

Yeah I was really enjoying sokp until I noticed that bug when I changed the song and it skips 2 songs
I really enjoy acip I just don't like the version of active display they use so I really don't run it but I have been holding out everyone should try this www.drdevs.com/devs/?dir=graberroms%2FKitStalk%2Fd2lte it's builds of beanstalk I been running them for weeks they're really good I found them on the vm side from this post
androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/837306-list-android-4-4-2-d2spr-d2lte-nightlies-all-compatible-d2vmu-new-nightlies-available.html

Upvote 0
Yep this is what boost has forced us to do unless we want to be throttled to that horrible 2g I'm honestly really weighing my opinions on switching carriers

Yeah I was really enjoying sokp until I noticed that bug when I changed the song and it skips 2 songs
I really enjoy acip I just don't like the version of active display they use so I really don't run it but I have been holding out everyone should try this www.drdevs.com/devs/?dir=graberroms/KitStalk/d2lte it's builds of beanstalk I been running them for weeks they're really good I found them on the vm side from this post
androidforums.com/virgin-mobile-gal...compatible-d2vmu-new-nightlies-available.html

Thanks for the heads up on Beanstalk and the link. I'll get it added to the AOSP section of the thread when I get to my pc. I wish Tapatalk would let you choose to make the font bold and add color when posting. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yep this is what boost has forced us to do unless we want to be throttled to that horrible 2g I'm honestly really weighing my opinions on switching carriers...
Which carrier are you lining towards?

I've been extremely pondering the same thing but I've noticed all the other carriers throttle as well. and as for lowest price with 2.5gb of data, boost wins at $40/month. I think boost does actually give the best bang for the buck. I've been thinking possibly getting on t mobile family plan to match the price but that would mean buying 2 new phones. So I think I am going to stay with boost, but I don't like sprint or their service so idk... I'm thinking I'm going to give this s3 to my wife and get me the s5 (her phone has been having bad sound issues and is hard to have a conversation, so I get to upgrade)

So... what's your opinion on where to go from boost?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones