• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
First and biggest reason to root...Save money for Mobile Hotspot.
Others are removing bloatware..which saves rom space and have unwanted apps not running in the background. Also there are lots of Root only apps i use.
I want some things to tinker with...like battery percentage..statusbar transparency lockscreen customization. Those things i want. Everything else is perfectly fine for me.
So if you like the phone, thats great. But I and it seems others aswell want to have root/bootloader unlocked to do as we please.
I totally agree with you on bricking it. But I have access to this phone and its not a main phone. So ive been trying to root. Tomorrow ill post my progress and see if anyone has some success.
Its android...i want it my way. :)
Cheers

i agree with ya on removing the boatware so you have more internal space for apps that won't allow movement to sd that can be a pain in the butt lol if it is possible to ONLY root it and remove those things ect without having to install roms also i'm all for that as well i suppose.. I just don't want to brick a 300 dollar phone by installing some of these very buggy roms. And i'm not affraid to admit i am somewhat ignorant to the processes and if only rooting is safe and risk is with roms or vice versa.

I also think their should be a sub forum for this section because i'm sure the boost version is different then the sprint evo design so therefore alot of the topics under all things root will not work. I think they should add a (Boost) HTC Evo Design sub forum because they are infact not the same phone as software is concerned. From what i read only the boost evo design has ics stock and sense 3.6 while the sprint phone will get the updates later on.

Also does anyone know where to get a good extended life battery for this phone? I saw in another thread people using Seidio Innocel 4000mAh battery on the evo V 4g and evo 3d but it doesn't say it will work on the design and i dunno if the batteries are same sizes so i don't want to buy 1 and be stuck with a battery i can't use lol.

Upvote 0
I must say it. I came from the prevail and that is truly the little smartphone that could. It was alot of fun flashing it often. They have one hell of a group of devs in that community. They really made that phone an incredible piece of hardware.

I just hope to see some of those familiar names on the forums for this phone.

I can't wait to root this thing, once someone a lot smarter than me figures it out.

Upvote 0
I just got the HTC EVO design as well, and I'm coming from the prevail. I just went online to the Boost website and got the ESN number and used it to upgrade the handset. Beware thou this phone also has a place for a SIM Card and has the IMEI number used to activate it on the iDEN network. Do not use the IMEI only the ESN. After that it said my plan was incompatible and I selected the unlimited plan, $55 unlimited for the EVO design, but since I was down to $40 then I went up to $45 unlimited. It did not change my due date or anything and on the price plan it was "$45 Unlimited W/Shrinkage" so I clicked on that and activated my phone. I already checked calling, voicemail, messaging, and data, and they all seem to be working perfectly fine even 4g.

Upvote 0
I just got the HTC EVO design as well, and I'm coming from the prevail. I just went online to the Boost website and got the ESN number and used it to upgrade the handset. Beware thou this phone also has a place for a SIM Card and has the IMEI number used to activate it on the iDEN network. Do not use the IMEI only the ESN. After that it said my plan was incompatible and I selected the unlimited plan, $55 unlimited for the EVO design, but since I was down to $40 then I went up to $45 unlimited. It did not change my due date or anything and on the price plan it was "$45 Unlimited W/Shrinkage" so I clicked on that and activated my phone. I already checked calling, voicemail, messaging, and data, and they all seem to be working perfectly fine even 4g.

what kind of speeds are u getting on 4g?? im getting around 3mbs and 200kps upload i live by the beach in los angeles.

Upvote 0

Are you sure it's iden? It should be a ruim sim port, that allows you to switch between cdma and gsm depending on what the card is. Check out a full description on wikipedia

Upvote 0
Are you sure it's iden? It should be a ruim sim port, that allows you to switch between cdma and gsm depending on what the card is. Check out a full description on wikipedia

Not at all an iden phone. The sim slot is there because it is a world phone with GSM capabilities
47d74dee-465b-bae0.jpg

Upvote 0

The phone has an IMEI, guessing on the time I used to work for boost, it might very well take it and act as if is in iDEN phone. The phone itself might not work. I did read somewhere on this forum that a boost rep used the IMEI to transfer the person's account into the iDEN network, then back into the CDMA network. While I'm not sure if is true, is just a warning.

Upvote 0
No i was not asked to pay a extra $10 for hotspot but you will be required to change plans from the $55 android unlimited to the 4g android $55 unlimited ( basically no change ) and you will not lose your shrinkage so if you pay $40 now you will still pay only $40 again for the new plan/phone. ( or $50 like you said if you opt for the hotspot addon )

The problem i had is my payments go thru on the 2nd of the mnth so by the time i got mine activated ( on the 5th ) i had allready been 3 days into the new month and it double charged me again for the new phone so within a couple days cost me not 55 but 110 dollars by the time i got it activated. So i called them and they reemburst me that previous month minus 3 days to my account so i'm happy.

So i recommend either waiting till your mnthly due date is about up before activating the new one or expect to go thru the same issue i did and having to talk to customer support to get reemburstment.

Currently you cannot activate the evo thru normal means of doing it via the website because it will say your phone isn't compatible with your current plan after entering the new meid # you will have to call and talk to customer help to get it done because on the site their is no 4g unlimited plan to select yet lol. ( at least it wasn't on 6/3/12 i dunno if they updated site yet or not. )

But i dunno why so many people complain about the boost support i had to deal with them twice to finally get everything working but it was pretty painless and they were very polite and quick to get it resolved for me.

Now as for the phone i love it!! So far it has exceeded my expectations in every way i just got back from RS again today because i had them put a zagg screen on it and hard case before i dared go anywhere with it other then mess with it at home for fear of scratching it lol
Ah ha!!
There is a difference in the plans... when you switch to the 4g, you are essentially going to to be throttled (or cut off) once you use 2.5gb of data for the month. This is the way the system can keep track, and why they make you switch.

Upvote 0
I have reduced my shrinkage down to $40 and want to talk to a live person when I swap out my Warp for the HTC. I tried calling this morning(7 am EST) and only had the option to swap out the phone by the automated system. I like to talk to a person because they always make sure my shrinkage carries over and I want to add on the Hotspot. What numbers do you key in to get connected with a person instead of the robot?

Upvote 0
Ah ha!!
There is a difference in the plans... when you switch to the 4g, you are essentially going to to be throttled (or cut off) once you use 2.5gb of data for the month. This is the way the system can keep track, and why they make you switch.
yeah .... ummm... all the plans are going to have the cap (4g, 3g, blackberry)... :deal: read the plan discriptions on boost.com and they all display it in nice readable tiny letters :hmmmm: ... the question is will they enforce it and can we get around it.

Upvote 0
I'm on the Prevail, it's been almost a year, down to $40 a month. I've considered buying a new phone just for something better and faster, and this is the newest one they have, and just as it was stated above, looking over everything on the Boost site you have to sign up for the new Android unlimited plan which is actually $5 more a month, and the hotspot feature is an additional $10 a month.

I have no idea how much data I actually use right now a month, and between the use of 4G (if I can even get it in my area/my coverage sucks now as it is) and the usage of the hotspot data, I'm guessing you would probably hit that mark fast within the month.

Their Fine Print says exactly this:

Sprint 4G (WiMAX) Series:
Boost Mobile reserves the right, without notice, to limit throughput speeds when monthly data usage exceeds 2.5 GB. When a Mobile Hotspot plan is purchased, the data usage limit is combination of phone and Mobile Hotspot usage. Connectivity dependent upon compatibility and speeds may vary.

Customers will continue to have data access but maximum speeds may be limited to 3G speeds of 256Kbps or below for the remainder of the monthly plan cycle. During this time, customers may experience slower page loads, file downloads, and degraded streaming media. Throughput speeds will be restored when your new monthly plan begins.

fyi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones