• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost] Recently acquired S4

qandres12

Android Expert
Jun 29, 2012
So I recently acquired an S4 and Im looking to flash CM. Im been looking through the forums for days to see how to do it properly, install custom recovery, root, i.e, all that good stuff. Unforutately all the threads are mixed in now and its quite messy, not like before where each carrier had their own dedicated section. I keep looking and I cant find what Im looking for. Im on the L720T phone, running the OK3 update which is the latest update. From what ive been able to gather there no root available for that update which means Id probably have to downgrade to a previous version of the firmware, Im not finding much with Odin and stock tar files. (can always use traingle away to get rid of the counter). or couldnt i downgrade using the sammobile site with the software from it. then root it once im on a firmware version that rootable. Before Im root it should proably install a custom recovery first to be able to backup my phone up. ive read about knox but should i really care if i trip the know flag? seems that cant be reset but i never needed my warranty anyway. whats the best way to go about doing this? Once im rooted and have custom recovery, ill be able to to the rest myself, just dont dont want to bork my new phone up. recovery and then root if possible.

Hey Lord, whats up man. My LG Volt 2 is dead with a smashed screen as well, just got one of these, the Galaxy s4. Since your here replying, I got a few questions if you don't mind. I been reading non stop for 2 days now, lot of stuff out there.

I just want to make sure I do this right, so to start, my S4 is from Boost and has Lollipop. After initially swapping it out with Boost, I did a system download/update, I'm not sure if there is some kind of new patch I should be aware of that maybe got installed, also, I read about the "flash counter reset" thing you should do, bootloader lock? and man, there is a ton of bloatware.

This is a little different from the old "Prevail" days, and it's been a while.
Like I said, I am still reading, but since your here, and since I am with boost,
and this is what I have (below), what exactly do I need to download, and exactly from where?:

Model: SPH-L720T
Software Version: L720TVPUCOK3
Hardware Version: L720T.03
Android Version: 5.0.1
Android Scurity Patch Level: 2015-11-01
Baseband Version: L720TVPUCOK3
Kernel Version: 3.4.0-4745659
dpi@SWDD3912 #1
Wed Nov 18 16:38:24 KST 2015

Upvote 0
Sorry, it's been a while. I feel like a newb all over again.
I got my drivers installed, system path is pointed to my adb folder,
downloaded all the above files.

I seem to forget everything all the sudden. I need a step by step.
I dont know if any changes need to be made to odin after I open it up too.
I'm use to using that with the prevail, just flashing pre-made rooted roms.

I'll check back.
thanks.

Upvote 0
Boot phone into downloading mode

Connect to computer

Open odin

Select ap

Select the twrp.tar

Uncheck auto reboot

Press start

Once finished, remove the battery and replace it (This fully powers the phone off)

Boot into recovery (volume up + power)

Make a stock backup

Install supersu.zip

Profit

NOTE - If the phone fully boots before you flash the superuser.zip, you'll have to reinstall twrp again, since the stock rom overwrites it on every boot (until the zip tells it to stop)

Last edited:
Reactions: x432hz and Jfalls63
Upvote 0
So by flashing the superuser file after installing twrp will root the phone?
I thought I had to use one of the other root methods, like 1click or towelroot and that stuff.?
The whole goal of rooting a device is to get the super user binary into the phone in a place and with permissions that make it executable.

These 'one click' solutions use an exploit (hole in the device's security) to achieve this goal. Using recovery is not only more straightforward, it's actually 'safer' since you know exactly how root is being achieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Hey man thankyou. I followed your instructions exactly, it worked and went flawlessly.
Just one sidenote for anyone new to this/reading this, when you get to the point where
you do your nandroid backup in twrp, after it finishes, it checks if your device is rooted/
or has supersu installed or not. A popup window will ask you if you want to install supersu
now if it's not there, so make sure you have already put the supersu zip file on your sd card
already before this step. I did not have it on my card, so had to power off, copy it to my sd card,
then boot back into recovery and flash it.

After all was done I did a fresh bootup, installed Root Checker Pro, and checked for root.
Then I also installed from the market SuperSU Pro, and I noticed that superSu was already
installed as a system app. No problem there, just stating the fact.

Now I need to install Busybox, never done that before. I purchased BusyBox Pro from
Stephen (Stericson) from the market a while ago, I figure I should be able to use that, unless
you, Lord, have another suggestion of your own you prefer.

I like this way better for Rooting, and now I have the twrp recovery.
Actually I found your method above mentioned here too:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2621862
Thanks Lord for showing me everything.
I'm hooked up now and ready to go.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
I don't want to do the busybox install until I am exactly sure I know whats going on. The app I mentioned above, the
BusyBox Pro from Stephen (Stericson), I think it gives you 2 options of where to install it to, I'm not sure though, so I just want to be certain before I do anything of what is the best way to handle this busybox install.

I'll go read up on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
His. Glad to hear you got it sorted. I've been busy at work today :)

Edit - one side note, TWRP actually has its own su binary and "superuser installer", but I've generally seen advice against using that to root.

The superuser.zip generally gives you the newest su binary and guarantees functionality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As far as I remember, all I need to do is get a stock rom, (having trouble finding it), and just go into download mode in Odin, and flash everything. It should be that simple right?
Yep. You got it. And as far as roms go, I'm currently on stock. I haven't found a rom with working gps yet.

If you can't find a copy of the stock rom, I'll try and upload my stock backup later when I get to wifi

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome. I downloaded this one last night after posting here, this is what I downloaded:
SPH_L720T_NG5_STOCK_ROOT_Deodx.zip
from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2621862&page=144

quote:
Ok they are all here ng5,nc6 Odin modems and the Stock Rooted Deodx ROMs https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=20593

That was the closest thing I could find, as far as Stock.

I'm about to try and flash it.

- but yeah, if you can, upload yours, I would like to have/try yours too.

thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones