• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boost, Virgin,Sprint Rooted MM!!!

jmacie

Sep 28, 2014
Seems Kingroot finally permeated MM! Followed post #17 on XDA-http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/6-0-lg-g-stylo-boost-sprint-virgin-t3309709/post65310088#post65310088
found latest kingroot apk and boom it worked, it failed first, but just like theoathkeeperalpha@yahoo said, it failed, I completely closed the app, and restarted kingroot and it rooted! Put rootchecker from playstore on there and took a screen for you all. I guess I'll read up on putting supersu back on there and maybe get 6th_Hokage 's opinion on it, but If I remember sometimes these roots are temp and reboot clears them out, but we have to see. If true we're free, I'm gonna change my adoptable storage build.prop straight out of the box and see if we get those adoptable screens!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160213-145643.png
    Screenshot_20160213-145643.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
I tried to modify build.prop, but it won't let me modify. May need to be restarted, but I'm not going to do that as kingroot MAY only be temporary. We already have adoptable storage as of last week and it is working great. You only have to think of it like link2sd, the apps you put on sd may have latency, but overall I don't care, it is working. Now to get researching replacing kingroot with supersu. That may be where the problems kick in, but we're cool for now!

Upvote 0
Anyone who is more daring than I am feel like temp rooting mm and seeing if adblock plus works? I would be happy just to get rid of ads again, but I'm worried about a bootloop. Did we ever figure out if download mode and send_command will restore a zv7 image to the phone and recover a bootloop?
No luck yet. At least these temp roots aren't bricking me. I think the limited release of MM so far is the reason we are not getting better info. But there are a few of us that will keep plugging away, and as you can tell from my OP, any progress is good progress! HA!

Upvote 0
No luck yet. At least these temp roots aren't bricking me. I think the limited release of MM so far is the reason we are not getting better info. But there are a few of us that will keep plugging away, and as you can tell from my OP, any progress is good progress! HA!

Hey any progress is great progress! I hope someone figures out a bug in selinux so we can keep a system root since we don't have a bump like solution to flash a signed boot.img for root. Thanks for volunteering your stylo for testing, and finding these big things for us.

Upvote 0
Yes, I put in terminal app and used http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How-to-Remove-Replace-KingUser-KingRoot-with-SuperSU.html
It worked replacing kingroot and putting in supersu and busybox. Busybox got in, but when it came time to put in supersu binaries it failed and called for reboot. I thought maybe a newer supersu, but I'm not well versed in updating the script from the above and/or figuring out if the newest supersu was available to plug in. I hope a few others will try too, as you never know what combination might work out. Thanks for your time 6th_Hokage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6th_Hokage
Upvote 0
Yes, I put in terminal app and used http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How-to-Remove-Replace-KingUser-KingRoot-with-SuperSU.html
It worked replacing kingroot and putting in supersu and busybox. Busybox got in, but when it came time to put in supersu binaries it failed and called for reboot. I thought maybe a newer supersu, but I'm not well versed in updating the script from the above and/or figuring out if the newest supersu was available to plug in. I hope a few others will try too, as you never know what combination might work out. Thanks for your time 6th_Hokage.

Which version of SuperSU did you try? I'm thinking one of the beta's for MM might work. I tried your method, got temp root, and busybox does work. Its enough to make modifications, and seeing as busybox has no issue getting things installed to xbin, I think this is our way in. As far as I can tell, the busy box install was left intact and untouched after a reboot, am I wrong in thinking we can't get su in there the same way?

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
This might be (probably is) a dumb question, but after you run kingroot and get temp root, would setting selinux to permissive allow the SU binaries to stay in system? I imagine it's selinux deciding it doesn't like the SU binary and deleting it once it figures out its there since selinux was the big hurdle for marshmallow root.

Maybe that, or we could hex edit patch the selinux rules/binary in the ramdisk after temp rooting to basically not care that root exists on system, if that's possible.

We should try to coordinate with xrad on XDA, since he has done quite a bit of work with the LG g4 trying to unlock the bootloader there.

Upvote 0
Which version of SuperSU did you try? I'm thinking one of the beta's for MM might work. I tried your method, got temp root, and busybox does work. Its enough to make modifications, and seeing as busybox has no issue getting things installed to xbin, I think this is our way in. As far as I can tell, the busy box install was left intact and untouched after a reboot, am I wrong in thinking we can't get su in there the same way?
I tried the link with the script, busybox and supersu 2.4

Reactions: ThePhizzle
Upvote 0
This might be (probably is) a dumb question, but after you run kingroot and get temp root, would setting selinux to permissive allow the SU binaries to stay in system? I imagine it's selinux deciding it doesn't like the SU binary and deleting it once it figures out its there since selinux was the big hurdle for marshmallow root.

Maybe that, or we could hex edit patch the selinux rules/binary in the ramdisk after temp rooting to basically not care that root exists on system, if that's possible.

We should try to coordinate with xrad on XDA, since he has done quite a bit of work with the LG g4 trying to unlock the bootloader there.

I think you're on to something here. I should let everyone know that the temp root method is dumping kingroot files into the /system partition, and with them still sitting in there, its preventing me from getting temp root again to remove them. (chicken/egg) I'm assuming someone's long since tried the one click method?

Reactions: whoshotjr2006
Upvote 0
Does anyone have a copy of the zv7 update?; or can anyone who's gotten temp root on a 6.0 sprint variant pull their boot.img? I'm going to try modifying the boot.img and setting selinux to permissive using chainfires instructions. I got a feeling the one click root method would work afterwards if I replace it's SuperSU version with one of the beta's for marshmallow. I'm lucky enough at this point in my life to be able to replace this phone if I brick it. That being said, I will try any root method that hasn't been tried yet. Can we get a list of what's been tried so far?

Reactions: whoshotjr2006
Upvote 0
Update! I got the SU binary to install to the system with proper permissions by using the one click method, however it still needs to be updated and as such is not usable yet. I did it by going to developer options and enabling the following; "stay awake" "usb debugging" and "Enable OEM unlock". I connected it to my pc, allowed the connection, set the connection type to "PTP", then ran the one click as admin, then followed the instructions, disconnecting the cable, powering off, and booting into download mode via vol+ and pwr, then letting it finish. Two things to note; I believe at this point we only need a compatible binary to get root, and also the one click won't get SuperSU installed to the system. I believe however, if we find working binaries, then we could install SuperSU manually afterwards and move it to the system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
From what I can tell, root is technically there. Invoking su through terminal returns "connection to ui timed out". I've done some research into it and its either selinux stopping it, or the fact that ro.debuggable=0 in our default prop. It looks like another chicken and egg scenario. We would need full root access to get a custom kernel in to get full root access, or we need fastboot to solve it. Anyone know if we can zero out laf to get there?

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
Over my head, but 6th_Hokage knows this stuff. Maybe we'll hear something soon. I'm going to copy and post your last comment over on xda if we don't hear something soon.

I can look and see the su binary in place, it's just that something is preventing it from running. Which I'm guessing is preventing SuperSU from updating it. We're getting somewhere definitely. I really think its a matter of time and getting the right minds behind it. I hope we hear something soon too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones