• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boot Animation Change?

The easiest way is to look for a boot animation you like that uses 480x800 resolution. Then delete /system/media/bootanimation_virgin.zip, rename your new one to bootanimation_virgin.zip, and toss it in /system/media. You will need to change the permissions to match the original one.

Make sure you have a backup and a way to get into recovery without booting to Android. If your only way to get to recovery is through Android I would not mess with this because you could end up with a brick if the boot animation does not work or you make a small mistake.

Upvote 0
The easiest way is to look for a boot animation you like that uses 480x800 resolution. Then delete /system/media/bootanimation_virgin.zip, rename your new one to bootanimation_virgin.zip, and toss it in /system/media. You will need to change the permissions to match the original one.

Make sure you have a backup and a way to get into recovery without booting to Android. If your only way to get to recovery is through Android I would not mess with this because you could end up with a brick if the boot animation does not work or you make a small mistake.
Sorry for going off this topic, but do you have any plans on making a custom kernel for this phone? (I am not trying to be pushy or anything, just curious. And if not, can you point me to a tutorial that tells me how to make one)? It would be appreciated!

Upvote 0
SuperR...I already tried those steps, and it didn't change it. I also tried a flashable zip (the new Android L boot animation) , it still booted up VM! Grrr! I'm been "branded"!
I even deleted the bootanimation.zip entirely, and it didn't brick, to my surprise! (Don't try this at home kids! I have a full nandroid backup & the LG Flash Tool to unbrick this thing if I screw up. I prepared ahead!)
I still have no clue how to change the boot animation. Maybe change the ro.lge.chameleon. resource build prop? That trick worked for my old f3. Just an observation..

Upvote 0
The boot animation. I'm fine with the LG static splash screen. I just HATE VIRGIN MOBILE'S animation! Especially when there are a lot nicer ones out there to flash!

Our boot animation can be found in, /carrier/CUST/poweron, shutdown animations are in /carrier/CUST/poweroff. All the other boot animations in system/media can be deleted to gain some space. I hate it too btw.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones