1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Boot animation file location?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cray91, May 30, 2011.

1. cray91

cray91 Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011

Advertisement

2. cray91

cray91 Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Well, I found the location of the animations, and I managed to replace the old one with a flashable one.

Now I can't replace the flashable one with a non-flashable one. I'm trying to move the new bootanimation.zip to the media folder using ES File Explorer, but it won't let me move it, and it won't let me delete the existing bootanimation.zip.

I can't get ADB working, so I've got to use the file explorer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    I use root explorer to change my bootanimation.zip and any other files in the system memory.

4. cray91

cray91 Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    I've got the folder and found the old file--I just can't delete or rename it. On the folder properties it doesn't have 'write' permission checked, and I don't know how to change it. ES File Explorer has root access...what am I doing wrong?

5. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    You'll need to be able to mount the system as read/write if you plan to change anything in there. I downloaded ES file explorer just to check if it does have that option.

There's an option in settings called Root Options. It's the last option in settings.

When I tried it on my phone (I don't have my gtablet), it said it was only for Cyanomod Roms or HiAPK ROM (never heard of that ROM before). If you are running one of the CM Ginger ROMS, it might work for you.

You can also try File Expert from the market, that has root options in settings. It worked on my Droid1.

6. cray91

cray91 Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    File Expert did it, thanks.

But I can't change the boot animation. I changed it with a flashable one, but I can't change it from that one.

I think the boot animation .zip lives in \system\media. That's the one I'm replacing, but it's still showing the old boot animation. Can anyone confirm the system\media location as the place to put the new one?

Thanks in advance.

7. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    I can confirm that for Vegan 5.1. Not sure about the other roms

8. cray91

cray91 Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Hm. I'm on Vegan Ginger...and it seems to be deleting the old one and have the new one there...

I'm going to have to go ask on xda. Drat. Those guys are scary. :eek:

9. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Lol. Just don't post a thread with your question in the dev section. Haha. Jk but not really.

Anyways, where did you get your boot animation? When I changed mine on 5.1, I moved the old bootanimation.zip to my sd card and moved the new one after that. It seemed to work.

10. cray91

cray91 Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Hm. They all were linked off one of androidpolice.com's boot animation roundups. A few were from xda. The one that's on there now is the pseudo-Linux boot, because it was flashable and it worked. The rest are non-flashable, and I seem to have found the animation location (system\media), and can delete or move or rename the old file (I have read/write or root access), changing it doesn't change the boot animation.

This is, no doubt and as usual, a massively simple user-error issue. Gonna be a long time before I start having some actual problems, methinks. :eek:

11. Aardvark1971

Aardvark1971 Member
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Perhaps, you just need to reboot or even shutdown the G-tablet a couple of times, I had strange behaviour like this and that worked for me, file replaced, startup, old logo, shutdown (totally off) startup, new logo! :)

The G-tab has 2 defiencies, which really bug me... extremely cheap and rubbish ram, which has it's own quirks, you'll note two users of the same device always have totally different problems even if stock (which usually points to ram behaviour) and a pretty poor sound card (even if it's on chip) I've noticed a lot of crashes are sound related (Ok, yes that could be driver related too, I'm guessing hardware though)... end whine! Just sad an awesome device, has some cheaping out (cheap parts) problems!