1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Boot animation

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by foxII, Feb 2, 2011.

1. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

I have an evo and created a boot animation. I am rooted and have root explorer. I've searched and see a lot of people are having problems, myself included, getting it to work. Where do you put the bootanimation.zip folder. I copied it from the sd card and pasted it in data/local but it still does not work. Anyone have any good instructions on how to do this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Android Expert

Off the top of my head I believe you go to system, then media folder.
    PLace it in there and change the name of the current bootanimation.zip, in case you need to go back to it later.

I did this before using Root explorer and it was with my D2, so not positive everything is the same on your EVO

3. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

when I went there, there was no other bootanimation.zip file. I tried data/local and customize/ resources. Now I no longer have the sprint boot animation but something different (black screen with small android logo) its not what I created and there is no sound.

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Most ROMs use /system/customize/resource/. You need to place bootanimation.zip there along with SPC_animation_final.mp3 if you want sound. If you're using AOSP, I believe it's in a different location. I think a few Sense ROMs might be different too. What ROM are you on (or stock)?

5. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

I'm using the stock ROM that came with the phone. But I am rooted.

6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

stock froyo should be /system/customize/resource

stock eclaire should be /system/media

make sure to name the files the same as the originals. I usually rename the existing file (rather than overwrite/delete it) and then copy the new file in with the original filenames.

Then there's the obvious stuff: make sure you have nand unlocked so you can actually make changes to /system. You may have to mount it read/write via adb or terminal with this command:

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

7. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

I have to use adb even if I use root explorer??????????????????????

8. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

No, that's just one way to do it. If you're using a terminal, you have to mount system as rw (to write to it). You can use adb if you have it set up. Or, you can just use root explorer. Just do what was suggested in terms of keeping the names the same. Root explorer has it's own option for mounting system as rw, but I'm sure you know that.

9. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

So now I've changed the name to SPC_animation_final.mp3 and changed the name of the orig sound fiile to Orig_SPC_animation_final.mp3. Still no sound no images.
    So now my system/media folder shows:

parent folder
    audio folder
    bootanimation.zip (the one I created as a compressed zip folder)
    SPC_animation_final.mp3 (the sound file I created)

**the mount set at R/W

Still No pics no sound

10. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Did you put it in /system/media or /system/customize/resource? If you're on 2.2, it goes in /system/custom/resource. Assuming you put them in the right place, what do you see for the permissions of the files? Also, once you've copied the files over, you can remount /system as read only. No need to keep it at rw.

11. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

I am about to shoot myself.. I downloaded so much crap based on the info given by others that now I dont have enough disc space to paste the animation. I'm working on deleteing stuff now.

My permissions for the sound file is as follows:

read write execute

user X X

group X

For the animation:

user

groups X X X

other X X X
    others X

12. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

SO...if I rename SPC_animation_final.mp3 to SPC_animation_final.bak can I just get rid of that annoying audio on the boot sequence on my rooted, but (so far) stock EVO? It is here:/system/customize/resource

13. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Yep :). That should do it.

JB in AZ likes this.
  14. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

YAY! No more annoying boot sound! I figured that would do it, just wanted confirmation Thanks.

(I'll get to flashing a custom ROM one of these days)

15. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

animation and sound Files now in /system/customize/resource...Rebooted and still black screen with no sound.

16. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Yep, it's actually a lot easier to do than you might think :).

So you're saying that when you removed the old one, it started displaying a black screen instead (proving that you've got the right location), but it won't play your animation? It sounds like you have a problem with your files. Are you sure you created them correctly?

17. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert

Sounds to me that you have two files with the mp3 extension in the folder...
    SPC_animation_final.mp3
    Orig_SPC_animation_final.mp3

18. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

I doubt it matters that much. The system is only going to look for the bootanimation.zip and SPC_animation_final.mp3, exactly. It should just ignore anything else.

19. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

and what about the permissions you asked about.

Its 367 files PNG24 that were sent to destop and right click zipped (send to compressed zipped folder) onto destop. it now shows winrar icon.

20. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

If permissions aren't correct for resources in /system, the system won't be able to read them for use. The permissions look fine on the file, so that's not the problem.

21. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

22. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Not sure what that is. Did you ever have an existing bootanimation.zip, and if so, where did you find it? What version of Anrdoid are you on (or more specifically, what's your software version)?

23. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

firmware 2.2

never saw anything labeled bootanimation in custom/resource folder.

24. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Did you ever find one anywhere? This is the stock ROM, you said?

25. foxII

foxII Well-Known Member

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews