• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Boot error!

Buddyboy

Lurker
Oct 10, 2014
Hey guys.

I've had my Volt with Virgin Mobile for about a month and it's been great. Today I was prompted to install an update and I did then the phone reset itself to apply it. Upon rebooting, on the LG logo screen it displays the message "Secure booting error. Cause: boot certification verify."

I scoured the internet looking for solutions. I've hard reset the phone, went into recovery mode and wiped the cache and did a reset but to no avail - the message remains.

This phone has never been rooted and I didn't install any suspicious apps or anything. It just happened after I tried to install the update.

Any insight would be really appreciated.

Thanks for the reply! That looks a little too technical for me (I'm not very familiar with all that kind of stuff). I'm just going to return it. But, do you know how this happened so I can avoid it on the future? Was it the update? And if so, why would a prompted update break my phone.

Thanks so much for shedding some light on this!

Upvote 0
In the event that they just exchange it, you will probably get one that already has the update. Updates are important. This one has improved memory usage, battery life, and, for some, better reception. What happened to you was a random glitch, and unlikely to happen again. Something to keep in mind would be to make sure you are in an area with good reception when downloading updates, especially big ones. I don't know if OTA updates will download over WiFi, but that would be even better.

Upvote 0
I've hard reset the phone, went into recovery mode and wiped the cache and did a reset but to no avail - the message remains.

If you booted into recovery and cleared the cache, doesn't this mean you have CWM or TWRP installed? And to install those wouldn't you have an unlocked bootloader?

Confused as I don't have a recovery mode on mine and it is stock with all updates installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones