1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Boot Loop problem HELP!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tigersfan1, Feb 11, 2011.

1. tigersfan1

tigersfan1 Android Enthusiast

Ok so I raised my overclock to 768 and rebooted and went into boot loop! So I pulled the battery and went into recovery and restored a nandroid backup and rebooted and it went into the loop again!

What do I do?

Please help!

Advertisement

2. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Reflash the ROM. Wipe Dalvik, but not data, and see if that works.

3. tigersfan1

Wait you want me to reflash Velocity 1.0 with out clearing data or cache?

4. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Yes. You're just reflashing the base ROM back onto itself, to clear your overclock setting.

You should be fine not wiping anything but Dalvik. If you do run into issues, wipe the cache too, but leave data intact.

I'm not too keen on where the oc script keeps it's setting, or else I'd step you through the ADB procedure to manually fix it.

5. dots

dots Android Expert

try wiping data/cache/dailvk cache before restoring a backup. Thats the only way i am able to restore backups without boot loops.

6. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Do you know off hand where the oc script keeps it's boot-time setting? I don't have my Ally handy right now.

7. tigersfan1

Ok I'm wiping Dalvik and reinstalling velocity.

Ok I think it worked so if it happens again I just do what you just told me to do?

Also I really hate how you have to lose all your data when you install new roms

Also I don't know if you know anything about this but what is the best way to get apps2sd?
    1)Move2sd- I am using this
    2)Partition sd card-
    3)Darktremor App2SD

Do you know off hand where the oc script keeps it's boot-time setting?

I have no idea what you mean. I sent mine I 786or768 dont remember.

8. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Well, instead of setting the cpu to the value every boot, tell the script to NOT set the speed at boot, until you've figured out it's stable and works.

If it is stable, and works, then you can set it to make that the speed at boot time :)

But, yes, some things, reflashing the ROM works.

So do I, but I generally don't worry too much about it. Others use an app called "Titanium Backup" which will have you back up and running faster after loading a new ROM.

Well, since you are using Froyo now, it's built in :) No need for it.

Yeah, I was aiming that one at dots, who is a very knowledgeable member of the forum here :)

9. tigersfan1

10. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert

Always look on the bright side, I say :) Some Ally's can oc to I think 800, I could never oc mine at all.

I hear ya, but I just don't sweat it. Then again, I don't use much more than GMail, the browser, and Facebook.

I can understand that, but personally, I'd use what is stock, when available. If you prefer to move ALL of them, use the app2sd script included with Velocity.

11. tigersfan1

Ok thanks

12. savoxis

savoxis Android Expert

Ok so Im an ass I didnt read the whole post, but heres what you do:

plug phone into pc let it bootloop, open up adb and type:
    Code (Text):
    2. su
    3. rm /etc/init.d/01gov
    4. rm /etc/init.d/03freqmax
    5. reboot
    Bam, your good

13. tigersfan1

Dont mean to sound like a dumb ass but I dont know what adb is
    I here it all the time but i have no idea what it is

14. Trident

Trident Android Expert

He'd then need to go back in and at least set his device back to the stock governor and clock speed using the script as the device will be using the performance governor without those scripts in place.

15. mdmalason

mdmalason Lurker

I am rather new to this .. i have been learning alot; however i am having the same problem .. i attempted to flash velocity 0.3; however, i didnt read the part about partitioning sd card for apps2sd .. i am sure that this is my problem but now there is no data on my sdcard and i cant do anything but get to clockwork recovery on my phone. i have attempted to restore but the loop keeps occuring .. i dont want to be forced to get a new phone but its whats going to happen unless anyone on here can help me

also i get the feeling tht "hijacking" threads isnt a good thing to do on here but i dont even know how to post a new thread.. im thinking if i could somehow fix the apps2sd problem from clockworkmod recovery or like delete the apps2sd application somehow i could flash velocity .. anything anyone could even suggest to get me out of this loop problem would be greatly appreciated.

16. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert

I saw your other post, didnt see the clockwork part. Search here for "recovery zips" the name of the thread willl be similar and posted by savoxis. Use that to switch to amonra recovery. Do a full wipe (this can wipe sdext since clockwork cant) including data/ sdext/cache/dalvikcache then flash a fresh zip of whatever rom you were using. If you had 2.1 then back to V.4 or V.3 and if youre on 2.2 the 1.1. But switing 2.2 and 2.1 will cause bootloops. Then i suggest following the 2.2 root guide here to update to 2.2 (assuming youre on 2.1) and root and install velocity 1.1 or stock.

mdmalason likes this.
  17. mdmalason

mdmalason Lurker

i wasnt aware that switching the two will cause the loops as well .. i am on 2.2 .. i am at work right now and i dont have my ally .. im gona attempt to try your suggestion tonight and i cant thank you enough for taking the time to answer my post so quickly .. im really surprised how fast ppl reply on here so thanks again for tht .. ill let you know how it goes

i think i found the correct thread.. its a thread with a link to several zip files and the top of the linked page says Index of /ally .. the zip file im guessing i should use would be http://awesomazing.com/ally/recovery-aloha-RA-v1.2.5-GNM.zip (courtesy of savoxis) .. should i just put this on the sd card and use clockword to "install from sd" option ???

18. KingOfGreen

Yupp youre all right on the zip file. If you are on 2.2 you could skip that and flash velocity 1.1 and it will also flash the newest amonra recovery. Is your sdcard partitioned? If it is velocity 1.1 will just ignore it. It should cause issues.

mdmalason likes this.
  19. mdmalason

mdmalason Lurker

no .. i never partitioned my sd

20. KingOfGreen

Ok i thought in your other post you said it was. Anyway, if youre on 2.2 i would just do a full wipe and flash velocity 1.1 and youll be good to go

mdmalason likes this.
  21. mdmalason

mdmalason Lurker

okkk thanks alott .. i hope this works .. ill get back on here and tell you how it goes .. im outta work at 5 (east coast time) and im gona get right on it .. thanks again

22. KingOfGreen

No problem. Happy to help

23. mdmalason

mdmalason Lurker

very good news .. flashed velocity 1.1 successfully and phone is running fine again .. thanks very much kingofgreen and velocity team custom roms .. feels like i got a brand new phone .. one final question .. what would be the best way to do a backup of the rom for velocity 1.1 .. like which recovery should i use for it

24. KingOfGreen

The one it came with. The latest amonra recovery

mdmalason likes this.
Tags: