• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boot Loop

Beardface

Lurker
May 22, 2011
I'm on an HTC Evo 4G rooted running CyanogenMod7 with Tiamat kernel and Clockwork mod. I went to sleep last night and everything was working fine, when I woke up this morning, I rolled over and my phone was stuck in a boot loop. I flashed back to my only backup (UltimateDroid w/Tiamat) and it did the same thing. I flashed to stock ROM and still no luck.

I unrooted it and loaded an RUU, so I was able to go back to Sprint and they're replacing it free of charge. But I want to know what caused this so I can avoid it happening again. The only thing that I can think of is the kernel, could that cause something like this?

Welcome to the forums!!!!
not sure what is going on, but sounds like you know what you are doing. i had the same issue. random reboots all the time. i even unrooted it and the stock rom even rebooted. it seems when intensive computing like gps would cause it to do that. so i took it in and the tech did a hard reset. i then showed the tech that was not the issue. i ran pandora with both sprint navigation and googles navigation running at the same time and low and behold it rebooted for no reason. so i got a new (refurbished) evo and so far problem is fixed. never really knew what caused it.

Upvote 0
lol I like to think of myself as pretty tech-savvy, but I just rooted my phone for the first time about a week ago :p But I made sure to research everything as much as possible.

But my phone wasn't doing anything when it started the bootloop, like I said, I was sleeping and the phone was just sitting next to my bed.

It happened once before but I was messing with SetCPU and had it running at 1.2 Ghz so I assumed that was the problem. I restored kept the frequency down and it worked fine for a couple days until this happened.

I'm going to root my new phone, just keep a backup of the original rom/kernel. I still had the original backup but I renamed it (doh!) so I couldn't restore it.

Upvote 0
lol I like to think of myself as pretty tech-savvy, but I just rooted my phone for the first time about a week ago :p But I made sure to research everything as much as possible.

But my phone wasn't doing anything when it started the bootloop, like I said, I was sleeping and the phone was just sitting next to my bed.

It happened once before but I was messing with SetCPU and had it running at 1.2 Ghz so I assumed that was the problem. I restored kept the frequency down and it worked fine for a couple days until this happened.

I'm going to root my new phone, just keep a backup of the original rom/kernel. I still had the original backup but I renamed it (doh!) so I couldn't restore it.

well for being rooted for a short period of time you seem to be doing the right things. i don't think that setcpu was your issue, well maybe at first. but since you went back and fixed it, i don't think that would have caused it. you know i do remember a few times when my phone would just reboot as well. it just seemed at the time that it was when i was doing something on my phone. but i do remember that it rebooted when it was just on my desk doing nothing.

so as long as your wiping correctly (remember it is up and down and not across:eek:) and make nandroid backups and not set setcpu so high, and always feel free to ask questions and you should be good to go.

edit:+1 to amon ra way better then clockwork mod

Upvote 0
I'm on an HTC Evo 4G rooted running CyanogenMod7 with Tiamat kernel and Clockwork mod. I went to sleep last night and everything was working fine, when I woke up this morning, I rolled over and my phone was stuck in a boot loop. I flashed back to my only backup (UltimateDroid w/Tiamat) and it did the same thing. I flashed to stock ROM and still no luck.

I unrooted it and loaded an RUU, so I was able to go back to Sprint and they're replacing it free of charge. But I want to know what caused this so I can avoid it happening again. The only thing that I can think of is the kernel, could that cause something like this?

So........ let me get this straight. You woke up and your phone was in a boot loop, you unrooted it, took it back to Sprint and now you're getting a new phone??:thinking:

Seems like the common thing to do would have been to pull the battery, boot to recovery, wipe cache and Dalvik cache, then reboot the phone. Just for future reference, unrooting is not necessary for this problem, just fyi:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones