1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Boot Loop

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by heroparadigm, Aug 18, 2011.

1. heroparadigm

heroparadigm Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    K here is where I am:

EVO is fully rooted with Revolutionary and S-OFF
    Installed custom ROM today and now I'm in "boot loop"
    Copied PM36IMG.zip onto my SD micro and Revolutionary bootloader still doesn't recognize or find it so, thus, I am still in boot loop.

I am wondering, do I need to rename all the files in PM36IMG.zip to specific names to ensure they are loaded properly?

Kind of stuck here guys and I'm not sure how to load/install using RUU. Not even really sure what RUU is...I knew this was going to happen :D

Advertisement

2. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Double check the name of your file. Sometimes it is really named "PC36IMG.zip.zip" because windows can hide file extensions.

Describe your bootloop a bit more. Does it loop before the fastboot? Can you get into recovery?

3. heroparadigm

heroparadigm Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    I can get to the HBOOT screen for Revolutionary and it tries to load PC36IMG.zip along with three other PC36 related files (.nbh??? - I think) and can't find any of them on my SD card. If I boot the phone, then it will just sit there with the white screen that reads "htc EVO 4G" and then it's stuck...:thinking:

4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Can you get into your custom recovery? Did you double check the PC36IMG.zip file? Fastboot (the one with android skating and s-off status) should then wait a second, try to update the file (which would be your recovery -amon ra for example).

5. heroparadigm

heroparadigm Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Is custom recovery the one where I power off the phone and then power on while holding the volume down button? Because, if so, then yes I can access that menu...

6. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    Okay, that's the fastboot menu, or hboot menu. I've heard it both ways. Custom recovery is something like clockwork recovery or amon ra that should be under the white menu (hboot/fastboot) under the heading of something like "recovery". this is the same menu that you use to flash a rom or kernel.

If nothing works, I'd try to run revolutionary again.

(just realized you have the other post, maybe let this one die, seems to be the same issue?)

7. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wait, let's put the brakes on for a second. If you downloaded a ROM, then placed it on your SD card it should be flashed from recovery, not hboot. Very few roms are flashed this way.
    My advice is to delete the files from your SD card, then reload them with the original file names and extensions.
    Boot into hboot, select recovery.
    Factory reset / wipe data.
    Wipe cache partition.
    Advanced, wipe dalvik cache.
    Select install from SD card.
    Select choose from SD card.
    Select the original Rom file.
    Once install is complete, select go back, then reboot phone.
    The first boot will take a while( 10 - 15 minutes, synergy can take 30 - 40).
    Once booted sign in.
    Enjoy.
    You are trying to flash a file from hboot, that should be flashed from recovery. ;)

ocnbrze, heroparadigm and 9to5cynic like this.
  8. heroparadigm

heroparadigm Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Here's the problem - I have four options (fastboot, reboot, reboot bootloader, and power down) so I am not able to wipe anything or install from SD card. Does this mean I should just reboot and be patient with the freaking WHITE screen? None of the above options exist anymore in my recovery mode...not sure what happened.

9. pixidusted

pixidusted Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Engineer
    Arizona
    I had a similar issue when I rooted my gingerbread evo.. i'm new to this, as of 3 days ago. I downloaded multiple zip files (not being sure of what i was doing) and when I put it on my sd card I renamed it, taking the (1) off the end, since i downloaded 5 or 6 of the same file.. Well somehow, I left a space or something and I got into the reboot situation.. after about 30 minutes of freaking out, I took out the SD card, put it in my laptop, and deleted the re-named zip file. I put on the original zip file and everything worked. So maybe you need to replace the file?? Again, I'm a serious noob, and this may have already been stated and if so, sorry for the repeat, but it worked for me.

10. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    some questions did you root using revolutionary? also do you have s-off? what is your hboot?

so it looks like you may have lost recovery. that is why there is no recovery option on the hboot screen.

in the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/395962-guide-rooting-gingerbread-revolutionary.html sticky there is a section on how to switch recoveries. use that to get amon ra 2.3 onto your card. try that file in the guide. i know that one works i have used it many times.

Tags: