• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boot Manager

SB13X

Android Expert
Jun 24, 2010
Wigan, UK
Highly recommend this app for you guys with a flash habit to keep up but don't want to relinquish their fave ROM between build updates.

More here: Init 2 Winit Applications

As you can see in my signature I have Absolution and MIUI working from my SD card and I can confirm little to no lag. Running Absolution on the Sloth UV profile and MIUI at normal clockspeed/voltages. Using the in built SD booster at 3072 on my class 6 16GB Lexar card. Even if you find a ROM that won't install via the Install to Zip method owing to updater script compatibility issues these can be bypassed by flashing NANDroids of the ROM you want.

There is even a list which can be found here:
[11-DEC]|[NANDROID]|[DUMP]|[BootManager] For Restoring To SDcard Using BootManager - xda-developers

A great investment for such flexibility and all without losing functionality. Highly recommended and a 100% Guarantee backed up by the ROM devs or your money back even after the 15min market cool off period.

If anyone does decide to get it and has any issues, ask your questions in here and we'll work them out together.

I'm on my fourth ROM this week so perhaps I should look into this, might be a bit easier for me!

On a side note Stu, are you getting a bad battery drain on MIUI FS? When I tried it (and RD MIUI) the battery usage was showing as the phone being awake constantly

Not spent a day with it yet, using Absolution for a day today will flop on MIUI FS tomorrow.

BM is crackin though, hot swapping between ROMs with a reboot is so good and easy to install zip add-ons in each slot is good too. Only thing that doesnt work on Absolution I have found is the OTA options as it tries to boot into recovery which doesn't have an affect on slot (SD) ROMS.

Upvote 0
Fresh install as each ROM gets an emulated 1GB of "internal" space for apps to be installed. You can restore TI backups and once logged into the market have them downloaded a fresh.

I personally like it this way as when helping anyone with issues on a particular ROM it means I'm looking at it from a fresh install perspective and can rule out the ROM so people can look at their apps instead.

I'm definitely looking for a 32GB card next pay day to take advantage of Boot Manager and each ROM to its full.

Upvote 0
Fresh install as each ROM gets an emulated 1GB of "internal" space for apps to be installed. You can restore TI backups and once logged into the market have them downloaded a fresh.

I personally like it this way as when helping anyone with issues on a particular ROM it means I'm looking at it from a fresh install perspective and can rule out the ROM so people can look at their apps instead.

I'm definitely looking for a 32GB card next pay day to take advantage of Boot Manager and each ROM to its full.

Yeah, I can definitely see the sense in keeping them separate. But the lazy part of me wishes I didn't have to restore my app backups each time :p

You have to be a mug to buy something from SCS of DFS when it's not on sale :p

Do the classes of SD card make a big difference to the performance? I want to get a 16GB one next week but there are so many to choose from :thinking:

Classes refer to write speed of a card, so past a certain point it only really matters for things like high quality video recording. Even for something like this, I would guess anything over a 6 is likely a waste of money.

Personally I've got a class 6 32GB card and that's more than good enough for what I'd done so far.

Reactions: CDPlant
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've been toying with this over the past few days and it's caused me a little trouble. I can't get any ROMs or nandroid backups to successfully save into any of the slots whilst I have Oxygen as my phone ROM. I then changed my phone ROM to Virtuous Quattro and was able to install my Oxygen backup into one of the slots. The only problem is I want Oxygen as my main ROM.

Might get in touch with the developers or just hold onto it as I'm sure it will come in handy some day.

Upvote 0
I've been toying with this over the past few days and it's caused me a little trouble. I can't get any ROMs or nandroid backups to successfully save into any of the slots whilst I have Oxygen as my phone ROM. I then changed my phone ROM to Virtuous Quattro and was able to install my Oxygen backup into one of the slots. The only problem is I want Oxygen as my main ROM.

Might get in touch with the developers or just hold onto it as I'm sure it will come in handy some day.

Curiouser...might be with popping on their IRC via the website or PM'ing them on the forum.

Upvote 0
Managed to fix that first issue (ie ROMs not 'sticking' when loaded into a slot). It was being caused by underclocking when the screen switched off. There as option to keep the screen on whilst it installs a ROM, which fixed the issue. The problem I have now is that ROMs won't boot, just gets stuck on the HTC boot screen (I even left it an hour once).

Upvote 0
Managed to fix that first issue (ie ROMs not 'sticking' when loaded into a slot). It was being caused by underclocking when the screen switched off. There as option to keep the screen on whilst it installs a ROM, which fixed the issue. The problem I have now is that ROMs won't boot, just gets stuck on the HTC boot screen (I even left it an hour once).

Thats the thing, some won't boot because of updater script issues which is why they need a nandroid. Some ROMS work fine others don't however don't use ext2. I am also forcing large boot img under settings. Try that and see how you get on.

Reactions: tobyjuggler
Upvote 0
Thats the thing, some won't boot because of updater script issues which is why they need a nandroid. Some ROMS work fine others don't however don't use ext2. I am also forcing large boot img under settings. Try that and see how you get on.
Thanks, stu. That's done the job, forcing large boot image. I now have LorD ClockaN's latest ICS build running from my SD card :). It's looking good too :).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones