1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Booting Android straight to an App

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by chedmeister, Aug 8, 2016.

1. chedmeister

chedmeister Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    Hello!!

I have been asked to help create a product where the inventor wants to use a cheap Android tablet as the device that makes the product 'smart'. That's an easy assumption for a non-techy person to make seeing as a tablet can already do wireless, bluetooth, touchscreen etc. I'm unfamiliar with app development which is probably why I need to ask this in the first place.

So lets say we already have our App (which could be any app) and our cheapo tablet running whatever version of android it came with.

They want the user to start the tablet, wait for it to load and then use it to connect to the Wifi to get an internet connection.

Then once that is done, the user would press the icon to start our app that is the software that defines the product.

Question: Is it then possible for that App to be the sole purpose for that tablet/Andoid installation from then on? Like, if the tablet was restarted then it would just boot straight into the app whilst retaining the Wifi connection?

Janky as hell I know but can it be done?

Cheers chaps!

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

This thread was moved to this forum that is dedicated to discussing development.

For clarification ... is your question ...
    Any Android device running any Android version?
    Can it require that the device be root-ed?
    Can it require the use of a custom ROM?

... Thom

3. chedmeister

chedmeister Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    I wondered if rooting would come into it. Lets say it can be done, would that be the only way to get the app to be the sole objective of the device once it is started for the first time?

Yes to the ROM question as well.

4. chedmeister

chedmeister Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks for your input, Michael.

So it sounds like what you are telling me is that using 'intents' in Android programming is like determining a 'default program' in Windows (or indeed any OS). Except that on my Android device I want the 'intent' to open an App by default rather than opening the home screen.

I don't want to ask you to take time in explaining it in much detail but could I respectfully ask if you could find me a link to a guide that explains this particular 'intent'? I mean, if all Android devices use an intent to start the 'open_home_screen.action' to start the Home Screen then what intent do I need to change to get the action to be the 'start_my_app.action' instead?

Obviously I sound like a massive, massive noob who shouldn't even be starting threads like this but I plan to make up for it by starting a crash course on app development so I can sound more credible in future!

5. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Hi. I would recommend at least reading through the sticky posts at the top of this forum, which contain lots of useful links for beginners. Examine a sample application, so you can become familiar with the concepts and terminology.

6. chedmeister

chedmeister Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    Of course! Like I said... complete noob!

But can someone just explain to me in laymans terms (but with the correct terminology) roughly what it is that needs to be done to do what I want to do to get an App run instead of the home screen. I'm just trying to get an idea of the process here without undergoing hours of self tuition.

Like, will I need Android studio? Will I need to root the device? Will I need to make a custom ROM?

I expect that in reality it's not that easy but worth a shot, eh?

7. chedmeister

chedmeister Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    Or am I just being unreasonable?

8. LV426

LV426 I say we take off and nuke this place from orbit

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Yes you'll need Android Studio.

As for the other things, I don't know, as I've never done what you're trying to do. Maybe other more knowledgeable people can comment?

In the meantime, it wouldn't be a bad idea to download Android Studio and maybe try a simple 'Hello world' app to get you started.

Thom likes this.