1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Bootloader Locked. Regarding Root for U.S. S7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lsdemon, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Lsdemon

Lsdemon Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Hello everyone.

It appears Samsung has locked the bootloaders of all U.S. variants of the phone potentially by request of U.S. carriers. Basically, they have taken ultimate control over what software is allowed to run on your device. Alongside their security features, this means that even if you want to install an application with root permissions and custom functionality, you can't.

It's not likely they will do anything, but as a customer I believe purchasing a device means you should have final say over what software is installed and what apps are allowed to run (Especially in the US, freedom bro?). Samsung believes they have final say. Bloatware, ads, tracking software, they choose, not the device owner. If this doesn't bother you then fine, have a nice day :).

If you want Samsung to at least address this, and why this is only the case with U.S. devices, there's an angrily worded albeit self explanatory petition - (https://www.change.org/p/samsung-unlock-boot-loaders-s7-s7-edge) addressed to Samsung and T-Mobile requesting to at the very least provide the option to users to have control over their device.

Prior to this year, AT&T and Verizon were the only carriers to have bootloader lock policies regarding certain devices that they sell. It appears the trend is catching on and those of us that value third party software are losing out here in the U.S. Samsung has already provided an optional bootloader unlock to S7 users in China and South Korea but they absolutely refuse to release it in the U.S.

If you are curious and want more info I suggest googling topics on the Galaxy S4 bootloader as that was the first to be locked, there are also various articles talking about it.

T-Mobile's CEO John Legere has commented on twitter saying that they're looking into a potential solution. Other carriers haven't said anything yet. You can try tweeting at him, by the way, @johnlegere. It's better than nothing, but without more users being concerned, it'll likely fall by the wayside unfortunately. We're just asking for an option for those of us that want it.

Advertisement

KOLIO likes this.
  2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    That won't be Samsung locking down the U.S. carrier minority variant models.

That will be your own carriers doing it to you I am afraid. 195 countries in the world haven't got locked bootloaders as it is not Samsung's policy to do so.

As you correctly state Lsdemon, after AT&T and Verizon introduced it on the S4, S5 and S6, it was only a matter of time before the other U.S. carriers followed suit with their individual models.

See, also...

Galaxy S7 Edge (Exynos) root

Galaxy S7 (Exynos) root

#2 ironass, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    lunatic59 likes this.
  3. rkkeller

rkkeller Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    The Dog Pound.
    Considering 99% of people will not root or even heard of rooting, not really a big issue I doubt.

4. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    True, but that is about 200,000 - 300,000 disappointed users. It would be nice for U.S. users to have the same freedom of choice as the rest of the world wouldn't you agree?

Just one of the nice things about rooting is that when Samsung or your carrier stop supporting your phone, you can root it and install up-to-date custom ROMs to extend its life and keep abreast of security updates. My neighbour has my old Galaxy S2 that I had in April 2011 and is running Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, quite happily on it. :)

#4 ironass, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Carwashman and Snakeyeskm like this.
  5. dan409

dan409 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    WNY
    Not to mention that those 200,000-300,000 users can have a lot of influence on friends and family when it comes to recommending a new upgrade or phone purchase.

ironass likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.