1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bootloader now HACKED!!!!!!!!!!! FOR REAL??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Infinite-t, May 14, 2011.

1. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Android Enthusiast

azazel, Roze and rg7718 like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rg7718

rg7718 Newbie

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one...:D

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

:D Yes, exciting time! I'm trying to keep abreast in the #moto-atrix irc channel since that's where the news get posted first.

4. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

5. RussellMania

RussellMania Newbie

I'm trying to temper my excitement. A good number of members of TBH are being negative nancies about this method; they don't think it will work, so I am reserving my joyous outbursts until it has been confirmed.

:fingerscrossed:

6. Roze

I have faith in Kholk and the other developers!

7. kilasix9

kilasix9 Android Enthusiast

Don't understand what this means. I thought custom ROMS were already installable on a rooted device?

8. Roze

With a lock/signed/encrypted bootloader, when you load a custom ROM, it is base off on stock Kernel (what the phone is shipped with). Examples of these custom ROMS are Gingerblurr and GladiAtrix. The limitation is that we cannot port custom Kernel which gives us TRUE custom ROMs. Just think: MIUI Rom or CyanoganMod (based on vanilla Android). With an unlock bootloader, the freedom you get is basically unlimited to what you can truly do with your phone.

ultradroid and kilasix9 like this.
  9. RussellMania

RussellMania Newbie

I want to believe!!

:(

I did just install CWM tonight, with GladiAtrix and I tried a few themes...it's fun in the mean time.

:D

10. jared1234

jared1234 Well-Known Member

Very well put.

Oh and not to be a jerk as I have high hopes for this project that I have also been following but for the record, the boot loader has not been hacked.
    They have found a work around that has been around for a while but hasn't worked for past moto phones. Apparently the phones radio and all connectivity stops working.
    However kholk has strong reason to believe that with a bit of tweaking, him and his team of jedi devs can make it work for the Atrix.

One comment of his I noted, after being asked how long he thought it would be until they can start developing roms and he replied" sooner than you think"

I got all gitty like a school girl when I read that one :)

11. Roze

Yup, I was on #moto-atrix when Kholk announced that he got Kexec to work! lol I was super giddy! The best part was when he said that once he gets the kernel to load using kexec, it'll take 'seconds' to port that onto any Atrix model (i.e. us Bell user)

12. RussellMania

RussellMania Newbie

Could I get a link to the #moto-atrix channel? I have been in there in the past, but I can't find the link anymore, and for some reason, google isn't helping.

13. Roze

Go here:
    freenode Web IRC (qwebirc) <--web freenode IRC server

or if you're sometime lazy like me, click on the AF 'Chat Live!' icon, it is AF's freenode channel.

then enter:

/join #moto-atrix

RussellMania likes this.
  14. RussellMania

RussellMania Newbie

Thanks, I got in.

15. Infinite-t

A couple of things to add;

Firstly, I called it "hacked" even though some may argue that it is more of a "work around". But I felt that the fact that "hacking" the boot up process (which is basically what Kexec is doing) wold at least, IMHO, constitute as the bootloader itself being hacked, as the phone has been "3rd handedly modified in order to bypass or alter the manifacturers intended function" in order to opperate a 3rd party function.

Second, and with all due respect to all the devs involved in this, and those whe "arent so optimistic" about this, I say;

Yes, in the past OTHER moto phones have not been able to be fully bootloader bypassed by Kexec because the radio gets disabled. But, the Atrix is unlike any of those previous Moto phones in that it is the first Tegra based one. Very different from the OMAP or others. This is also the issue at the moment as very few devs on this project have experience writing a Kernal for the Tegra chip.

Kholk and the others workin on this seem fairly confident that this method will eventually be successful.. I believe it has a damn good chance too. EVEN if it is not successful, it will be a HUGE step in getting there and hopefully spark more dev intrest in the Atrix project since so many gave up so early on. I give BIG Kudos to the Eternity gang for hanging in there and trying!

Here's to hoping, and if you can, support and donate to the devs who spend massive amounts of their own time and resources working on this and other projects you benifit from!

16. Roze

Would it have been easier for the devs to use an existing OMAP kernel and adjusted it to be used on the Tegra. I believe the devs are working on a Kernal from scratch and I know Kholk had trouble with this (not his area) so he has asked others to help him.

17. RussellMania

RussellMania Newbie

Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you, after doing a little bit more reading.

I guess the difference with the Atrix and the other Moto phones that Kexec didn't work on is that the Atrix's radios are loaded by the kernal, not the bootloader like the previously unsuccessful Moto phones.

:cool:

18. Infinite-t

There was an update posted on XDA about 3 projects now for "hacking" the bootloader.

In a nutshell;

Kholk and his crew have all the information they need now to get a custom Kernel where it needs to be and are in the process of writing a kernel. I dont have much experience with kernels myself, but from what I understand, OMAP kernels are very different from a Tegra one and simply adapting it would be essensially the same as writing onw from scratch. Again, that is just my understanding of it.

Secondly is that the Chinese dev, Tenfar, is working in a 2nd init for the Atrix. He is the dude that got CW mod workin on the Defy and the Atrix (partly). He has also had a large hand in many breakthru developments on other Moto androids. He didn't even own an Atrix when he ported CWM to it. But the XDA community pulled together and donated enough for him to buy one ($750 in China). So this is a very promising development.

There is a 3rd project now that is being kept under cover for now.

But it looks like things are continuing to move forward and I think we will actually start hearing early reports of full attemps soon.

You can read about these developments here:
    Short update on current status of bootloader unlock (we reached first goal) - xda-developers

Lets keep our fingers crossed and continue to show our support.

:D

azazel and Roze like this.
  19. Roze

Thanks for the update Infinite! It's so easy to fall behind in there if you are not active.

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews