• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bootloader stopping Updates???

ErisKlown

May 11, 2010
NE
Since people have loaded the leaks on phones and it changed the bootloader,it seems to be causing all the leakers to not be able to get the OTA update.Now my question,what happens when we can download the update,will we still have that problem and not be able to use that either?

Is there a way to maybe change the Bootloader back to its original Version?

I understand the everyone says that the 2.1 V3 is the same as the OTA,but its Obviously There is a few tweaks.The battery life.My nephew recieved the OTA and he has told me his Battery life has double.as to were with me being on the V3,it barely lasts 12hours (and thats on a good day).Do we actually have people working on this situation or should leakers just go swap out phones?

There are no tweaks!
How long does your nephew have his update? Because my battery life is much worse, and I have seen a few others saying this as well.
But I do believe it will settle in after a day or 2.

My Nephew was recieved the update the first night.and he can about a day and a half before he has to put it on charger.mine i have to put it back on charger the same day.

Upvote 0
Maybe you and your nephew don't use the phone in the same fashion or have some different apps that are causing the battery consumption.

that could be true......but i do know for a fact that he makes more calls on his phone then i do.Granted the apps are all quite the same.But regaurdless.how is the change of the bootloader going to affect us in future updates,if ever any.

Upvote 0
My Nephew was recieved the update the first night.and he can about a day and a half before he has to put it on charger.mine i have to put it back on charger the same day.

Yeah I just downloaded mine yesterday afternoon. I only have 1 charge in it. from 20% to full. Took it off at 8pm last night. Its already down to 50%. I think I used it a total of 20 minutes this morning browsing the market for new 2.1 apps.
I really am expecting that after a few more charges, maybe another day or 2, the battery life will be back to what I was used to on 1.5

Upvote 0
As for the bootloader, I have no idea. I hope for all of you guys that they feel sympathetic, and actually program things to cater to you guys as well in the future.
At the same time... how many more updates do you think this phone is going to receive? Maybe a bug fix for this 2.1 and thats probably it.
2.2? Who knows. Possibly, but by the time that comes around I would expect that pretty much everyone will be due, or at least nearly due in a few months for a new phone anyway.
I dont think you will miss out on much at this point anyway.

Upvote 0
As for the bootloader, I have no idea. I hope for all of you guys that they feel sympathetic, and actually program things to cater to you guys as well in the future.
At the same time... how many more updates do you think this phone is going to receive? Maybe a bug fix for this 2.1 and thats probably it.
2.2? Who knows. Possibly, but by the time that comes around I would expect that pretty much everyone will be due, or at least nearly due in a few months for a new phone anyway.
I dont think you will miss out on much at this point anyway.

that maybe true,But there are people out there that use the phone till the day it dies and dont use the updates just cuz they want to.I for one dont enjoy to be limited:(.I will just work my magic and call my local verizon rep and get a fresh phone.......lol.

Upvote 0
Wait... so it's been confirmed that using ANY of the leaked versions prevents you from EVER loading ANY updates in the future?.. or is this limited to v3 to the 2.1 OTA?

I'm not worried about upgrading v3 to OTA so much (since they are the same thing), but I am worried a little that future patches might not load? I also don't like the idea of being locked out if there's an important update, now that it's official and all... and it's buggy for me...

PLEASE tell me this is just more speculation. PLEASE :p

Upvote 0
Wait... so it's been confirmed that using ANY of the leaked versions prevents you from EVER loading ANY updates in the future?.. or is this limited to v3 to the 2.1 OTA?

I'm not worried about upgrading v3 to OTA so much (since they are the same thing), but I am worried a little that future patches might not load? I also don't like the idea of being locked out if there's an important update, now that it's official and all... and it's buggy for me...

Its not just limited to v3 leakers, its all leakers that cannot install this OTA manually, and who have not yet received it OTA.
Since we dont have updates from the future, I dont think anyone can say what success you will have with those. :)

Upvote 0

I dont know for certain......Im curious Myself.Since the bootloader never changes with the actual OTA.Will they base other Updates to that Bootloader?

Upvote 0
Verizon will probably post an update via their website that will allow leakers to put the official OTA software on their phone, however I am sure that the bootloader will be updated and probably even more secure than previous versions.

It should be noted that as far as I know, no person has yet to actually break through a vulnerability of even the 1.5 bootloader. From what I have understood, a couple of guys were given an unsigned 2.1 copy that allowed for phone rooting, but what I don't understand is why it only worked for 1.5 if it didn't exploit a bootloader vulnerability.

Upvote 0
From what I have understood, a couple of guys were given an unsigned 2.1 copy that allowed for phone rooting, but what I don't understand is why it only worked for 1.5 if it didn't exploit a bootloader vulnerability.

As I understand it wasn't an exploit, just someone "working for htc in china" released a rooted version which used the original bootloader. It won't work on the leaks because they have a higher version number of the bootloader, so the phone refuses to roll back to a previous bootloader version.

Upvote 0
As I understand it wasn't an exploit, just someone "working for htc in china" released a rooted version which used the original bootloader. It won't work on the leaks because they have a higher version number of the bootloader, so the phone refuses to roll back to a previous bootloader version.

Correct and my whole Question for this thread being,can the loader version be change back or can the coding be change into tricking the loader into working so it it will load it

Upvote 0
My wife's Eris is stock, running 1.5. Mine is running leak v3. She hasn't rec'd the update yet either... OMG !! Do you think Verizon can see that one of the phones on the account is running the leak and they're withholding it from here too !?!? :p :p

Lol no it goes in a weird order she willl get it soon it would help if she stayed in an area where she has 3-4 bars with 3g on because the file is 77MB large which could possibly take some time to download

Upvote 0
My wife's Eris is stock, running 1.5. Mine is running leak v3. She hasn't rec'd the update yet either... OMG !! Do you think Verizon can see that one of the phones on the account is running the leak and they're withholding it from here too !?!? :p :p[ /QUOTE]

if im not mistaken.....i believe i read in one of the other treads that the system pings your phone (or vice-versa)to let them know what you are running.and if its not the 2.1,it sends out the update.

Upvote 0
Its not just limited to v3 leakers, its all leakers that cannot install this OTA manually, and who have not yet received it OTA.
Since we dont have updates from the future, I dont think anyone can say what success you will have with those. :)
It depends on who you believe. If you look at the update tracking poll from the link from the Eris Forums page, it shows v1, v2 and v3 OTA updates. Are they liars? Who knows? Only they do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones