• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bootloader Unlock

Snazzy

Android Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2010
(UPDATED 8/03/2011)
This purpose of this thread is to track the progress of an unlocked bootloader for the HTC Sensation 4G either by the community or a tool released by HTC. I will update this topmost post as things progress.

HTC to release online unlocking tool this month

NEW! S-OFF via Revolutionary!

HTC to begin unlocking bootloaders August 2011 - Thanks EarlyMon!

Rooted! 7/1/2011 - #TEAMWIN has released tool Fre3vo which can apparently root Sensation and EVO 3D devices. Note this a not a permanent root as it resets on reboot but it is a HUGE step forward.

XDA - Sensation Android Development
MobileSyrup - HTC confirms future phones will have open bootloaders
Facebook - HTC announcing policy change

Upvote 0
Well I decided I didn't want to sit on this phone and wait for un/official bootloader unlock. I just don't know what to get now as I have no phone at all for the time being.
Hard decision I'm sure. The Atrix as noted above might be getting unlocked by the manufacturer soon so maybe that is a good choice for you.

My carrier Bell currently carries the Atrix and will be carrying the Sensation 4G in a couple of weeks and I guess I'll have to see what happens before I purchase. I certainly will not be buying any phone that I cannot do with as I wish.

Upvote 0
Sorry but you'll have to pardon my ignorance. I too am waiting for the SGS2 to be released by BELL before I buy. What I don't understand is "rooting" the phones. What advantage is there and what are the disadvantages?

Unlocking an android device is advantageous to any user. The casual phone guy can benefit by removing some of the carrier bloatware like amazon or bell tv. A person who likes to fiddle with phones might install a custom ROM like Cyanogen or Miui and a real techhead might want to overclock the cpu or change the filesystem. Disadvantages are some manufacturer might not honour warranty on an unlocked phone and it is possible to reversibly "brick" a phone if not unlocked correctly.

Reactions: Balderick
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones