1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Bootloader

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Swainsmith82, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Swainsmith82

Swainsmith82 Android Expert

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MrGlowy

MrGlowy Android Enthusiast

I think this has been tried before. Not sure

3. AquerMang

AquerMang Well-Known Member

The code is there for it in the Spirit bootloader, but it's A.) disabled, and B.) if you can circumvent that you need still need a valid unlock certificate signed by LG.

So no. As is, not gonna work for the Spirit or Motion (or any Secure Boot 3.0 LG phones).

sammyz likes this.
  4. zeest

zeest Android Enthusiast

Just tried again to make sure, doesn't work.

5. Swainsmith82

I don't know much about this subject, but I'm tired of theming stupid apps and think that this is a much more relevant issue with our phone, that somehow needs to get solved. I'm researching everything I can about it and am starting to understand a little more. When I FINALLY get my computer back this week I plan to try a lot more using my spare phone.

6. AquerMang

I've been working on it for a little while (on the Spirit, same phone at the basic architecture level). I can confirm there is oem-unlock code in the bootloader (which is currently disabled) that needs a signed LG certificate not unlike the HTC fastboot unlock method. I can also confirm that there is a fastboot backdoor, and I think I know how to trigger it, but I'm waiting for LG to send me back my Spirit (bricked it playing musical bootchains) to test it before releasing anything publicly.

Scorpion7867 likes this.
  7. zeest

zeest Android Enthusiast

By "backdoor" do you mean how to get into fastboot? Could the unlock code be what is stored in the oem fuse?

Scorpion7867 likes this.
  8. zeest

zeest Android Enthusiast

If you want to learn a lot about the msm8960 architecture, I suggest reading http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1756919 It is long though, you have been warned!

Swainsmith82 likes this.
  9. AquerMang

There is no master "unlock code". Unlock certificates are generated per-device with LG's "master" signing key.

You'd have to modify the bootloader to jump to the unlock code in the fastboot section of the bootloader, as the way it's currently implemented in the bootloader, no control paths jump to it.

10. zeest

zeest Android Enthusiast

Which version of IDA do you have btw? I am stuck with an old release, that has almost no arm support. Makes it very hard.

11. AquerMang

6.1. Same version as you do. I know, without Hex-Rays ARM support, we are at the mercy of professionals like djrbliss.

12. viperdink

viperdink Android Expert

GFan ( a data security company ) has a method used by some phone mfg,
    using the charger as the trigger for opening 2nd init.
    Does any one think it can trigger the aboot unlock oem
    to load a custom ROM to the device, given that some linux person has a built rom already to load.

13. zeest

zeest Android Enthusiast

Well, if you can tell me how it is used as a trigger, I will try.

14. Clancyjr29

Clancyjr29 Newbie

Mine is unlockd. Got a friend at LG. Hooked me up on the DL. He cant do too many at a time cuz itll look suspicious. Pm if u want his info. Only can do five maybe ten at a time so hurry up.

15. pmb116

pmb116 Android Enthusiast

I call B.S unless your friend is in Korea

henrytamayo likes this.
  16. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

I wouldn't say stuff like this unless you can provide undeniable proof. Its frowned upon it, ive seen many a member state they create some rom or got something working but obviously never did. People hated those members D:

17. johnnyl1111

johnnyl1111 Android Expert

if yours is unlocked then you could simply upload your partitions and then everybodies would be unlocked

Scorpion7867 likes this.
  18. zeest

zeest Android Enthusiast

Already asked for this in a pm, and offered instructions if needed. Waiting for a reply. Seems kinda shady though, but entirely impossible.

19. AquerMang

Negative. The unlock certificate is generated per-device.

Also highly doubtful of this.

20. JJ_Azevedo

JJ_Azevedo Android Enthusiast

I got the info and called the guy but it said the phone # was disconnected so either he gave me the wrong # or this is fake.

21. AquerMang

I'd bet both. The paranoiac in me hopes you used something like Skype when you called as well.

22. Swainsmith82

Definitely a scam y'all. Dude just randomly pops out of nowhere and says this very highly doubtful. Plus I already emailed Lg just to see what kind of response I'd get and they told me we're basically sh!t out of luck.

23. AquerMang

I don't think LG cares either way. It's the carriers who will go apeshit.

24. Swainsmith82

I wanted to see what they would say because of my first post. The thread from xda starts by saying he received an email from Lg, so I just wanted to try my luck at asking. I assumed I wouldn't get anywhere anyway but it's always worth a shot.

25. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Extreme Android User

if that were truly the case then it would only be the carrier devices that were the case. lg wants their devices locked, its a smart business decision :)

LG Motion 4G Forum

The LG Motion 4G release date was August 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2012
Release Date
Reviews