1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Bootloading n Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lowrider1, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Lowrider1

Lowrider1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2011
    Male
    Cincy

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    For better exposure I moved your question to where root-related issues with your phone are discussed.

... Thom

Lowrider1 likes this.
  3. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Jul 4, 2012
    Semi-retired developer
    The Shire
    You need an unlocked bootloader to install anything to the system partition. AFAIK there are exploits which let you root some phones with a locked bootloader, and this may be one of those. I'd do more research before attempting anything.

4. PrinceCorwin

PrinceCorwin Android Expert
    None

Oct 23, 2012
    Male
    Welder
    Houston, TX
    I have to admit that I'm a little confused too. There seems to be too many phones being discussed in this "all things root" forum. I'm coming from an LG Spectrum that has had to be replaced so many times that VZ is finally giving me a different phone. My Moto RAZR HD should be here Tuesday.

I've gotten a lot of experience rooting with the LG, but I can't seem to find the definitive thread that instructs me on rooting the RAZR HD. I'm only assuming that the RAZR HD and the RAZR MAXX HD are different and have different rooting methods, but I could be wrong.

Could anyone please reply with a link to rooting / unlocking bootloader instructions for the RAZR HD. I would like to research them before I get the phone next week. Thanks.

5. pegs520

pegs520 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    Techie
    Utica
    Root: [ROOT] Motochopper: Yet Another Android Root Exploit [4.1.2] - Droid Razr HD Development [XT926] - DroidRzr.com

Boot loader: [UNLOCK] How to Unlock Your Bootloader [Atrix HD/RAZR HD/RAZR M ONLY!] - Droid Razr HD Development [XT926] - DroidRzr.com

PrinceCorwin likes this.
  6. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

You need to root first then you can use root to break into the BL. If you have taken the OTA already you will only be able root because the trusted platform is permanently updated.

After you have unlocked the BL once you will always be able to regain root with a simple flash. It effectively turns the Razr HD into like many Samsung phones which have an unlocked bootloader already. Samsung phones are a joy to flash and root. Moto is/was a royal pain.

7. PrinceCorwin

None

Oct 23, 2012
    Male
    Welder
    Houston, TX
    So, I'm getting the phone today. I've read posts where the phone updated as soon as they turned it on for the first time. Is there a way I can prevent this so I can unlock bootloader and install custom ROMs?

My thought is to boot it up the first time without the sim card and go throught the root and unlock process. Will this work?

8. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

You could try that. Somtimes phones are a pain unactivated. It prompts to do the ota and you can decline for a bit. You will void your warranty unlocking the bootloader.

PrinceCorwin likes this.
  9. PrinceCorwin

None

Oct 23, 2012
    Male
    Welder
    Houston, TX
    With the LG SPECTRUM I could reflash the stock firmware to get the phone back to stock in the event I had to send it back to VZ. Is there a way to do that with the RAZR HD?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

10. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Not really. On a Moto phone: you can flash the stock rom back. There are Roms you can flash without unlocking the Bootloader. There is more stuff you can flash with it unlocked. If you unlock you cannot relock. If you unlock you void the moto warranty.

You can root an unroot and pretty much be ok with warranty though Moto phones also keep track of root status and VZW or Moto "could" give you trouble. Insurance companies don't care if it is rooted, sim unlocked, BL unlocked or a developer phone as they are insuring damage to a device.

Not the same as an LG or Samsung with an unlocked BL already. You are in new territory.

PrinceCorwin likes this.