• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root bootloop after flashing kernals

itsme1

Jun 11, 2010
So i have tried flashing several kernals with different ROMs, but more often than not, my phone just ends up restarting over and over. after i boot it, when i flash the kernal, I would be playing with it then all of a sudden it would freeze up on me and start boot looping. I have cleared the dalvik and cache before flashing ROMs and kernal. I rooted via 3.21 unrevoked and it says on the top of hboot s-off. The only kernal that has worked is netarchy-toastmod 4.1.8 bfs. any idea what i could be doing wrong?

Did that and still bootlooped. These are the steps I do before I flash. Using clockwork 2. 5. 01.
1. Hit data/factory reset
2. Hit clear cache partition
3. Go to advanced then click clear dalvik cache(nothing usually shows up on screen when I do this)
4. Flash kernel
5. Reboot
6. Bootloop
Am I doing anything wrong....

Upvote 0
Did that and still bootlooped. These are the steps I do before I flash. Using clockwork 2. 5. 01.
1. Hit data/factory reset
2. Hit clear cache partition
3. Go to advanced then click clear dalvik cache(nothing usually shows up on screen when I do this)
4. Flash kernel
5. Reboot
6. Bootloop
Am I doing anything wrong....

I have had this problem and solved it by only wiping cache and dalvik, but leaving the data alone. You can read through my thread here it describes my problem (the same as yours) and how i went about fixing it. Good luck!

Upvote 0
In order to get the bootloop to stop i had to restore a nand that i made before i tried to flash the new kernel. You may have to do this also. But if your EVO is working and you go to try and flash a new kernel then you should be fine doing it the way i described above. (flashing cache and dalvik, no data)

Upvote 0
I have had this problem and solved it by only wiping cache and dalvik, but leaving the data alone. You can read through my thread here it describes my problem (the same as yours) and how i went about fixing it. Good luck!

Just read your post...I thought you only need to wipe data is when your installing a whole new ROM? When flashing Kernal and radios just wipe the caches?????

Upvote 0
Just read your post...I thought you only need to wipe data is when your installing a whole new ROM? When flashing Kernal and radios just wipe the caches?????

That's correct, though some people do still wipe data. I dont because that is what was causing my BL problem. Honestly most of the time i dont even wipe before flashing kernels. I have had no ill effect from flashing kernels after i stopped wiping data.

Reactions: WaynesNside
Upvote 0
your running cm6 correct? how is the battery life with that kernal....

Hard to say actually I kinda gave up on measuring, I've been in Phoenix AZ for the last 4 weeks and ALL cell service sucks terrible down there and just eats the hell out of the battery. I'm gonna give it say...10 hours battery life with moderate to heavy usage. That doesn't bother me though.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem with BL. Using Fresh 3.3.0.1.

Only kernel that would work is netarchy 4.8.x and 4.9.x. I could not flash any other kernel. All would give me BL.

Here is how to fix it.

#1 First to a nandroid backup of the working system.

#2 Boot in to recovery.

#3 Do an nandroid restore of the system you just backuped in step #1.

#4 Without rebooting the phone, still in recovery, flash the new kernel.

After many hours of trying different kernels and getting constant BL, I have tested the above method with about 5 different kernels and it works everytime.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem with BL. Using Fresh 3.3.0.1.

Only kernel that would work is netarchy 4.8.x and 4.9.x. I could not flash any other kernel. All would give me BL.

Here is how to fix it.

#1 First to a nandroid backup of the working system.

#2 Boot in to recovery.

#3 Do an nandroid restore of the system you just backuped in step #1.

#4 Without rebooting the phone, still in recovery, flash the new kernel.

After many hours of trying different kernels and getting constant BL, I have tested the above method with about 5 different kernels and it works everytime.
That seems like to many steps to flash a Kernel,really unnecessary IMO, you are problably getting all that BL cause you didn't mentioned in your steps wiping both of your caches and that a must do when flashing a Kernel.

Upvote 0
That seems like to many steps to flash a Kernel,really unnecessary IMO, you are problably getting all that BL cause you didn't mentioned in your steps wiping both of your caches and that a must do when flashing a Kernel.

You think I would waste my time posting the steps if I had not tried all the possible steps?

I have rinsed,wiped and repeated..... Nothing helps.

Read the above posts and you will see that lots of others are have the same problem. Wipe cache partition and davlik cache does not help.

Not sure what the issues but lots of users have this problem.

I have tried with Clockwork and Amon Ra and both produce BL.

Only the steps that I have mentioned have worked consistently.

I agree its lots of steps but it works....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones