• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bootloop

It's a jp5 tablet with jelly Bean 4.2.2 firmware. I think I downloaded some third party apps that didn't agree with my OS. no computer access but have an OTG cable and thumb drive. I heard there were some .zip or .exe Giles I could download to the drive then put on the tablet to get it out of bootloop. Any answers or suggestions are appreciated.

Upvote 0
Your JP5 is very proprietary and It's a device where all the services running on it are highly curated. A bootloop indicates the installed operating system has been corrupted somehow, a typical solution being to flash a stock ROM. The JP5 being so proprietary there are no publicly available ROMs.
https://www.androidauthority.com/this-is-the-tablet-made-for-americas-prisons-625662/
Instead of focusing all your attention on trying to repair this tablet, maybe it might be better to just shop around for a new model:
https://www.androidauthority.com/this-is-the-tablet-made-for-americas-prisons-625662/
or if budget is a concern, swappa has some pre-owned tablets (that they claim have been verified and checked):
https://swappa.com/buy/tablets

Reactions: ocnbrze and Hadron
Upvote 0
If you think it's a third party app then the first thing to do is try booting into "safe mode" (which will involve pressing some buttons while booting the tablet - which buttons will depend on the device). That will disable all third party apps. If the system boots you can then remove the suspected apps then try rebooting.

If the tablet is not rooted(*) then any app you downloaded can't do damage to the operating system, and so a factory reset will fix the problem (of course you'll lose any data that aren't backed up, but if you are in a bootloop and don't have a custom recovery I think those data are gone anyway).

You could try just clearing cache first, just in case - unlikely to work, but you wouldn't lose anything that way, so would just waste a few minutes. Both that and a full factory reset can be done from recovery mode (which you also access by pressing some buttons while restarting).

(*) One caveat on rooting: if it's based on 4.2.2 that's an old and vulnerable Android version, and there were apps that could crack the security and modify the operating system. Some of these were designed specifically to allow you to root android devices, but malware could use the same exploits to install itself or other malware to the system. So actually with an old, insecure operating system like this I cannot exclude the possibility that an app you installed could damage the OS - it's unlikely if you downloaded from a curated source like the Play Store, very possible if you were downloading from shady sites (the sort of sites that offer "paid apps for free" are hotbeds of malware, for example). If you have picked up something like this then without access to the stock firmware, which @svim notes is not available, there probably isn't much you can do.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Can anyone tell me how to use a pendrive to fix Android jelly bean 4.2.2 bootloop? I do not have a PC but can download whatever I need from my phone to the pendrive using otg cable and then flash tablet from there.
Bro in in prison just like you. Boot loops are ready to fix. I'll just have to send you a script with an adb command that will restore your tablet, however it will wipe your 0 ( top) drive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones