1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bootlooped Samsung Galaxy Young

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jonibenj, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

I have managed to bootloop my phone, but I cannot reboot into any of the recovery modes. I am suspecting that I have disabled the Factory Mode - would this have anything to do with it? If this is the case, what can I do now?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

Do you mean when you say you can't get into either recovery, you can't get into recovery AND download mode?

3. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

Very strange, but this morning I was able to boot into safe mode! However, it does not matter which selection I make, all I get is a picture of an android on his back with his front door open, and a red triangle with a black exclamation mark inside it. Does this mean the phone is incapable of performing any of the desired functions from safe mode? Is there some other way to get into the phone and correct the fault?

One piece of info that might help - I think I disabled the FactoryTest or FactoryMode app before the bootlooping occurred - could this be the problem?

4. SavageRobot

I think with the android on his back rather than standing up means nothing good, can't access firmware, I think standing up is stock recovery, there are no options like wipe etc in that screen are there?
    Can ADB recognise the phone when connected like this?

Looking here freezing factory mode shouldn't have any adverse effects. Is that the only thing different you did before reboot?

5. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

Whatever options are in the screen, they are useless to me, because none of them work. I have not tried ADB, but I think I will learn about it, as another adviser has given me a method to flash a stock ROM using ADB.

I froze quite a few apps apart from FactoryMode, but I think they were all bloatware, not system apps.

6. SavageRobot

Are you absolutely sure that the what was frozen wasn't necessary to system? If that's all that happened strange that you can't get into TWRP as custom recovery is before system boot.
    Not sure if ADB mode you will see phone if system not loading, but worth a shot, here is a guide if you have never used it before, and a mini SDK tool download, that will be all you need to try, rather than the full SDK from android devs. Good Luck and keep us updated.

7. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on!

8. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

I have installed the Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools which successfully runs in the command window. Here is the procedure I have followed so far:

1. Boot up my phone into Recovery Mode
    2. Connect to my PC
    3. Start Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    4. Type in <adb reboot bootloader> and enter
    5. The phone reboots into the bootloader (I think) and shows the following screen:

[ODIN3]
    PRODUCT: GT-S6310T
    VERSION:
    HW REV: 5
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
    CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
    SYSTEM STATUS: CUSTOM

There is a picture of an android standing up, and then the following warning:

"Downloading... Do not turn off target!!"

Now, it doesn't matter what fastboot command I give after this, nothing happens. The command window just gives the response <Waiting for device>, and then I cannot give any more commands. The phone is stuck on the page described above, and the only way to kill it is to pull the battery.

What is going wrong? The command I was told to give by another advisor was <fastboot oem unlock>, and this is supposed to unlock the bootloader, allowing me to flash a ROM to the phone. But this and any other command doesn't do anything except produce the response <Waiting for device>, and the phone keeps saying "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!"

Do you have any ideas to help? I am really feeling in the dark here because I know nothing about this business!

Regards,
    Jonathan

9. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

jonibenj likes this.
  10. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

Yes, I am trying to flash the stock firmware, as I fouled my phone up after rooting. I now have Odin installed and am starting to have some success! It seems Odin is the very thing I needed, as it was made for the job.

Evidently, Kies can only fix up firmware after an update fails - it is no good for flashing ROMs. Also, Kies doesn't run on Windows 10. :)

Thanks very much for your help!

11. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Glad you are getting it straightened out. I do have Kies 3 on Win 10 and have used it to flash back to stock using the Firmware Initialization and update option in Tools as long as the firmware has been released by the Carrier.

Odin is a great tool to learn to use and having the stock firmware saved to PC will get you out of a jam as long as you can get in download mode. Good luck.

12. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

Both versions of Kies are telling me that they are incompatible with the Galaxy Young S6310. This is a bit strange, because up until recently, I was using Kies for the same phone, but I was on Windows 8. Kies 3 is for Android 4.3 and higher, and mine is 4.1.2. However, Kies 2 does not work either. Samsung also tell me that Kies should not work on Windows 10.

Odin is functioning very well, and I have now learned to get into download mode, but the firmware is not flashing properly. I am flashing a multi-file version as follows:

BOOT_S6310DXAME1_1013803_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5
    CODE_S6310DXAME1_1013803_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5
    CSC_OLB_S6310OLBAME1_1013803_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5
    MODEM_S6310DXAME1_1013803_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5

The first and last files go really well, but the two middle ones fail. The CODE file especially fails very quickly.

Do you have any ideas?

13. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

What is your country and Carrier?
    Do you have the S6310 or the S6310T?

14. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

New Zealand, and my carrier is CallPlus on the Telecom network. The phone tells me it is the GT-S6310 model.

15. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

jonibenj likes this.
  16. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

If you look on the sticker on phone under the battery it should list the complete model number.

jonibenj likes this.
  17. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

Bingo! You are correct - the model number under the battery does have a T at the end! And when I followed your link to the firmware on SamMobile, it downloads! Amazing huh? :)

However, when I tried myself to search for the GY GT-s6310T model on the firmware page, it came up negative, How did you find it?

18. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Looked for GT-S6310T. Sammobile is best place for stock Samsung firmware. Create free account. Free download takes about a hour. Depending on which version of Odin you use select either AP or PDA to place the firmware to flash. No need to break it down to individual slots.

jonibenj likes this.
  19. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

jonibenj likes this.
  20. jonibenj

jonibenj Newbie

Hey J, you the man! I was searching under the full name instead of just the number. I now have the new stock ROM loaded, and my phone is back to normal! I owe you one :)

Isn't Odin good to use? It is so simple once you have a few pointers. I will never touch ADB again as long as Odin will do the job!

#20 jonibenj, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Jfalls63 likes this.
  21. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Glad you got it back up and running. Now you know how to return back to stock. Usually you can fix what goes wrong as long as you can get into download mode.
    Happy Flashing!