1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

borrowing books from library and overdrive

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Germwise, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Germwise

Germwise Android Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the kindle fire can do this? Whether in a straight-forward or work around kind of way?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bill.g

bill.g Member

I do not have my fire yet, but I have been using the library lending and this is how it generally works. Just keep in mind these are over simplified as what you have to do in each step may vary slightly.

1. Pick what book you want to checkout.
    2. You will then be sent to amazon to check out.
    3. Tell Amazon which device you want the book sent to.

3. bill.g

bill.g Member

Ok i just got home and fired up the kindle fire and the book got from the library I was able to get on the kindle fire in the very same way I am able to get it on my kindle and the kindle software on my phone and the kindle software on my ipad.

4. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Android Enthusiast

Yes, it can if your library supports overdrive/kindle. It works just like other Kindles or kindle apps. You check out the book from the library as a Kindle book and it is sent from your Amazon account (using the "get book for kindle" button from overdrive/library).

5. bill.g

bill.g Member

You can search by zip code from their site to see if there are libraries in your area that support this feature.

6. LunchBB

LunchBB Android Enthusiast

People has been saying only the main Prime member can borrow books. I am not the main member but I can borrow ebook now just did it. But it seems like there is a monthly quota. It only allow me to exchange on Dec 1st.

7. bill.g

bill.g Member

That is correct you do not have to be a prime member to borrow books, you can use overdrive.com if a library near you or one you can get a library card from supports it and anyone with a kindle can do that.

The prime member aspect if I recall allows you to borrow directly from amazon.com without the need for overdrive, but the selection is limited.