• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bottom Buttons

This is absolutely driving me nuts.. I tend to press again thinking button wasn't registered and it backs out too far.. Next time, I press once, and sit there waiting for something to happen.. and nothing happens..

I'd hate to return this for the iphone. Really hope there is some simple SW fix for it, but I need to decide in next couple of weeks before the end of the 30day.

Upvote 0
I've found that my buttons became more responsive all around when I started using LauncherPro. Perhaps it's just a lag issue present in the TouchWiz software? Or are you using a different launcher already?

EDIT: The back button is definitely not as good as the other three, though... Could be since we use it more?

I use LauncherPro as well (love it). Since this phone is brand new I don't think in my case it has to do with one part of the screen being used more than the other.

My original phone (build date 7/12/10) did not have any issues with any of the soft buttons. Perhaps this is why it's that much more noticeable on the replacement. So much for later-build phones being better!

I hope Froyo fixes this. But given the variance among phones, I'm not sure what it would actually do to solve it.

Upvote 0
I have noticed these issues:

• when my hands are cold, the buttons are less responsive*
  • when the buttons backlights go out, they are less responsive*
  • when I touch the screen to relight the buttons, they become more responsive*
*this doesn't happen ALL the time, but enough to warrant an issue.

I agree, physical buttons do provide the benefit of tactile feedback and typically good responsiveness. I guess a benefit of touch buttons is they should "technically" never wear out.

But they need to be responsive for sure, and I'm afraid the Captivate's are lacking. Not enough though to make me despise using my phone though. ;)

Upvote 0
I just wonder why the button feedback and sensory input is inconsistent.

I just tried a test, pushing each soft key 10 times, to see how many of 10 actually register:

left button (whatever that one's called) : 8/10
home button: 10/10
back button: 5/10
search button: 9/10

Trying to explain this one to Samsung's tech support is just not something I'm going to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones