1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

bottom sensors

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gonzo117, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Gonzo117

Gonzo117 Newbie

I know the turbo has four sensors on the front that respond to a wave of the hand. Two on the top, two on the bottom. But my bottom 2 don't make the notifications come on. Only the top 2 do. Is this a problem with my phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. emmzone22

emmzone22 Well-Known Member

Mine only works from the top also.

3. Welcome to Android Forums.

I am only aware of one proximity sensor and it is at the top and near the middle.

Where are there others and what was the source of your discovery?

... Thom

4. Gonzo117

Gonzo117 Newbie

You can only see the sensors on camera. Im sure I saw the bottom ones on a YouTube video.

5. emmzone22

In the Moto app, under Actions, it does show a hand reaching from the bottom to activate Approach For Moto Display, if that means anything. I've always wondered why it doesn't work like the graphic.

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Thom likes this.
  7. emmzone22

Yes, it's on. If I turn it off, waving my hand across the screen won't even work.

8. Wow. Hadn't happened on that.

It is a little counter intuitive. As pointed out if your hand is too close it will not work. It has to be about 6in away.

... Thom

9. emmzone22

For whatever reason, after I turned gestures off and then back on, it started working from the bottom. I was aware of the 6" guideline also.

10. Rogus

Rogus Newbie

Interesting discussion. Did some experimenting. My screen will not turn on if I only wave over the bottom 1/3 +/- of the screen unless my hand is high enough (the 6" specified) for the top sensors to pick it up at that angle. It will activate if I wave anywhere over the top 1/3 including within an inch of the screen. It even activates from the top before I get over the phone. I am really close to the top, but not over the phone and it does even if my hand is less than an inch above the level of the screen.

Further experimenting reveals the two bottom sensors light up when I move over the phone, but the screen does not turn on until the top sensors also pick up the movement. Funny, the top sensors will turn on the screen without the bottom ones, but the bottom ones won't.

11. doogald

There is only one infrared sensor on the top of the phone, on the top right. There is a proximity sensor on the top left, I believe (the one most phones have and use for pocket detection, phone against face during call, etc.) and I suspect that the proximity sensor also triggers the moto display when it detects a wave, and it does so closer to the phone.

One way to test would be to do a similar wave over only the top right of the display, then over only the top left of the display. See if they react differently.

Rogus likes this.
  12. Rogus

Rogus Newbie

Waving over just the respective corner reveals the top right activates the display. The top left does not. Thanks for the suggestion. It helps to know how it works in order to use it properly.

13. Istill learning.

If I go into a piitch black room I can see the two sensors t the bottom and the sensor at the top right. They are faint red lights.

Before I had the sensors enabled I expermented with the proximity sensor and it appeared to be close to the front facing camera in the top middle. This seems to be consistent with some of the graphics I have found on the internet. (This was the top left on the Maxx.)

I have yet to find a diagram that documents the sensor location and the teqr-down guiden don't deal with it.

... Thom

14. doogald

Thom, the first link in my post above (#7) shows the infrared sensor locations.

15. doogald

16. Yes ... thanks ... there is also ... Motorola Droid Turbo & The Moto Action Sensors - YouTube that depicts their location. I'm assuming three like the diagram you providedpls the proximity sensor near the cammera.

I have not found a tear-down yet that actually shows them.

... Thom

Motorola Droid Turbo Forum

The Motorola Droid Turbo release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 21MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3900mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews