1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bought a "lost/stolen" phone. Please help!! :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vinnyjdm, Dec 25, 2012.

1. vinnyjdm

vinnyjdm Lurker

I recently got a Brand New In Box HTC One S off Craigslist..

I pretty much buy all my phones off Craigslist and never have a problem until now. The phone was sealed in the box and is definitely clearly a brand new phone, but was reported lost or stolen.

(I should have taken added precautions I know but I didn't and I have learned for next time.)

I got it as a present for my sister and got a new micro-sim activated and put in the phone and the phone just wouldn't get service. (Figured out it wasn't the sim it was the phone)

Called T Mobile and got word it was blocked because the person had bought the phone, and they accidentally sent him 2.

The one that he said he didn't have they blocked

I don't want to be an asshole and sell somebody else this phone cause it's just not who I am.

What I heard however is that I can just unlock or root the phone so that I can use it!

Does anybody know if this is true or what other options I have to get past this block so I can use the phone, or how to go about doing this?!

Any information is much appreciated!

Thanks guys,
    Vinny

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Hello and welcome to Android Forums!

Sorry Vinny, that's not true. Carrier networks block devices by their ESN's or IMEI numbers encoded on chips independent of the firmware. Attempting to alter those is illegal. However, there are many people who would use it for a wifi device only or need it for parts. If you want to sell it, just post that it's got a bad IMEI/ESN and you should still be able to find someone who wants it.

Granite1 and agentc13 like this.
  3. vinnyjdm

vinnyjdm Lurker

Would changing the IMEI number allow the phone to obtain service?

4. lunatic59

Changing IMEI numbers is illegal. Only carriers may do that and since they were the ones who blacklisted that phone in the first place, it's unlikely they would do it.

5. vinnyjdm

vinnyjdm Lurker

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm a fan of forums and I like to stay involved and not step on anyones toes. But this is a forum, so it may be illegal but it is an option? I mean... it's illegal to have tints darker than 35% but in my car forums we still talk about it.

I don't want to screw someone over and sell them a phone that's not working but if I can change the IMEI to use the phone even if it's illegal it doesnt really bother me..

6. lunatic59

As outlined in the site rules:

And

Sorry.

7. vinnyjdm

vinnyjdm Lurker

I see what you're saying, well thanks for the advice!

HTC One S Forum

The HTC One S release date was April 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, MSM8290 processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2012
Release Date
Reviews