1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Bought a new Android phone. What next?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by newby2, Jun 16, 2011.

1. newby2

newby2 Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    I just bought a droid a855 from ebay and i'm not sure where to start with it. Do i do a factory reset? Do i do the rooting thing some people are talking about? I'm lost. I'm not a computer person by any means so i'll probably sound a little stupid. I've read many of your threads and the people that respond seem to know what their talking about. Any ideas for me?

Thank You!

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums!

If the phone is new, you don't need to do a factory reset. If it is pre-owned and the owner didn't reset it, you should do a factory reset so you can register it to your gmail account.

If i read the numbers correctly, this was markets as the Milestone. If that is correct, you should ask about your new phone in the milestone forum.

3. Karlan Cromok

Karlan Cromok Lurker
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Hello everybody .....

I need help from all the pro's and old timer here.
    Can all Android smartphone from June 2011 be updateable , change ( Android version..say ,Froyo to Honeycomb ?....Froyo to Gingerbread. ? ) to to latest version ?

Thank You. \m/

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    The quick answer is no, they all cannot be updated. Besides, as it stands now Honeycomb is the tablet version of Android. Ice Cream sandwich will be the next update for phones. While I would guess that a phone made this month would at least get the next version, either officially or through a custom rom, there's no guarantee. When you buy a phone, the only thing the manufacturer is obligated to do is fix it if it stops working within the warranty period.