• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bought a new s5 (my 3rd one) not happy :/

vapblack

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
  • Greetings all. So I've been using the s5 since early 2015 and I've decided to keep using them because they fit my needs. I recently got a deal on one (199) for a 'new' one. The cell phone store said it's new but I bet they're lying. they were adamant that it was new though. It was prisine looking though.

Anywhoo a few days in and I'm noticing its not as fast as I would like and it hangs a lot. This is a big deal for me because I do ride sharing in NYC and I need my phone on point. I can't have a ping come in and it hang. that's money I'm missing out on and it happens. What also happens a lot is that gmaps will hang or crash while I'm driving. I've missed turns because of it.

Is the s5 finally too old to be live? -0r- Is this phone just not a good one? Chinese knockoff? something else?

It has android 5.1.1 and I recently rooted it thinking I could speed it up with some haxxor apps. no dice. What should/can I do?

thanks everyone.

• Greetings all. So I've been using the s5 since early 2015 and I've decided to keep using them because they fit my needs. I recently got a deal on one (199) for a 'new' one. The cell phone store said it's new but I bet they're lying. they were adamant that it was new though. It was prisine looking though.

Anywhoo a few days in and I'm noticing its not as fast as I would like and it hangs a lot. This is a big deal for me because I do ride sharing in NYC and I need my phone on point. I can't have a ping come in and it hang. that's money I'm missing out on and it happens. What also happens a lot is that gmaps will hang or crash while I'm driving. I've missed turns because of it.

Is the s5 finally too old to be live? -0r- Is this phone just not a good one? Chinese knockoff? something else?

It has android 5.1.1 and I recently rooted it thinking I could speed it up with some haxxor apps. no dice. What should/can I do?

thanks everyone.

Sounds like a dud,what carrier brand is it

Upvote 0
Since you haven't been using it that long you presumably don't have a ton of personal data stored on it yet. I'd take the opportunity to back up what you need, then do a full factory reset on it and start all over again.
It's possible one of your apps is responsible for the slowness so try reinstalling them one at a time to see if you can figure out which one it might be. Also keep an eye on Settings/Battery to see what is using the most battery, sometimes a misbehaving app or service will show up near the top of that list. Apps like GSam Battery Monitor and System Panel can help you see what's going on as well.
Be wary of apps that are constantly running in the background and using data, sending push notifications etc. as these can slow things down. Look at settings, turn off things you don't need. If you have any "task killer" or "battery saver" apps running get rid of them, they actually make things worse.
What makes you think the phone wasn't actually new? Was the store a reputable one or not so much (i.e. mall kiosk or guy in white van)?

Upvote 0
well I downloaded this phone info app and it says the charger was connected over 2.7k times so now I'm sure its not new. It wasn't terribly reputable, it was a boost mobile store. the dude it there was obviously a sheister. I guess I can return it for them lying.

I wonder what kind of lifestyle the previous owner has. It seems that he/she carried a portable battery pack with the phone to charge it as often as possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones