• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bought an EVO 3D on eBay, bad idea.

Canterlot

Lurker
Jun 25, 2013
EDIT: I may have put this in the wrong section by accident, my bad.

I've been looking for a solution to my problem for almost two months now and noting I do works. I'm going to simplify this for you to save both of us some time.

I've purchased a "clean" Evo 3D from some guy on eBay, he stated it was on Virgin Mobile, and when it boots up it plays the virgin mobile jingle, which is nice and all, but I can't seem to get it activated on VM. I had my friend call to try and activate it, and they said they couldn't for some reason or another. I'm starting to think it was flashed to another carrier, considering when I try to call someone it takes me to a Verizon Wireless helpline. How would I go about using this phone with Verizon, then? How do I know if it has been messed around with in CDMA workshop and has been activated with a rant and incognito, and what will happen if I call up Verizon and tell them that it's flashed? If any more info is needed, I'll do the best I can to provide it. I don't mind about having my phone on Verizon, as long as I can use it with pay cards. Here is all the info that I have so far:

• Android version 4.0.3 (1.13.652.2 710RD)
    IS rooted (Superuser installed, checked with Root Checker)

I've found a guide to flash it to boost mobile, my current carrier, but my phone doesn't pick up in CDMA workshop.

Here is a video:
VIDEO0083 - YouTube

you are sticking your toe in waters that i personally tend to avoid,as your phone may have been blacklisted for non-payment or loss/theft.

you canot use the phone on vzw,despite the fact that its taking you to their help line,as they will not let phones not in their data base onto their network,period. an evo 3d will not be in their database,unfortunately.

your options are:
1)try and work it out with your seller or ebay,since his auction was mis-represented
2)flash the phone to a cdma service that doesnt care if it has a bad esn(like cricket)
3) flash the phone to boost or vzw prepay,wich will involve cloning a donor device. (wich is potentially illegal depending on the state of the flashed device,and donor device)

i havent a chance to watch your video,but in general getting the cdma programs to see the phones just requires the phone to be in "DIAG" mode and the correct drivers installed.

ill take a look later if you cant get the phone recognized,but i cant help too much with the actual flashing process due to the potential legalities :eek:

Upvote 0
I will move this post to the EVO V 4G section as this is not a Sprint device, hopefully they will have more advice for you, but if the phone is not clean, I would send it back, and file a claim with eBay and cancel payment with Paypal.

First of all your phone is rooted, which they should of told you, and you might simply have a Verizon PRL on it, it might be blacklisted, and that might be the reason why they can activate it, did you give Virgin the specs on this device to see if the phone was BL ??

Upvote 0
You should contact the seller right away, and see if he they will help you. You really should have contacted the seller immediately, while you were covered by Ebay Buyer Protection who would have given you a refund, even if the seller would not cooperate. Why would you try to resolve something like this for 2 months without contacting the seller or Ebay first?

Upvote 0
I don't really know anything about flashing to other carriers but I bolded some points to note in case it helps anyone...

I've purchased a "clean" Evo 3D from some guy on eBay, he stated it was on Virgin Mobile
The phone itself would have to either be the Sprint Evo 3d or the Virgin Mobile Evo V 4g. Note the hardware differences in the two images...

Sprint: View attachment 56750
Virgin Mobile: View attachment 56751

, and when it boots up it plays the virgin mobile jingle, which is nice and all, but I can't seem to get it activated on VM. I had my friend call to try and activate it, and they said they couldn't for some reason or another. I'm starting to think it was flashed to another carrier, considering when I try to call someone it takes me to a Verizon Wireless helpline.
Scotty, do you think this means the previous owner had it flashed to Vzw Prepay?

How would I go about using this phone with Verizon, then? How do I know if it has been messed around with in CDMA workshop and has been activated with a rant and incognito, and what will happen if I call up Verizon and tell them that it's flashed? If any more info is needed, I'll do the best I can to provide it. I don't mind about having my phone on Verizon, as long as I can use it with pay cards. Here is all the info that I have so far:

• Android version 4.0.3 (1.13.652.2 710RD) This is the VM Evo V RUU (Original Release) so we can most likely assume that it's the Evo V, also unless the phone has never been updated, it's also s-off if that matters.
    IS rooted (Superuser installed, checked with Root Checker)

3) flash the phone to boost or vzw prepay,wich will involve cloning a donor device. (wich is potentially illegal depending on the state of the flashed device,and donor device)

Dunno if any of this helps... but there it is...

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I had a phone not they couldn't activate simply because it was associated with an account. Even if the account lapses for non payment the phone will still be tied to account. In my case seller gave me his pin number and they cancelled old account.

The fact that you're getting Verizon may mean phone was flashed to Verizon. If this was case the esn should be different. From dialer, dial ##6343# and see if it gives you esn (meid). If so compare to what's under battery and see if they match.

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone that replied.

you are sticking your toe in waters that i personally tend to avoid,as your phone may have been blacklisted for non-payment or loss/theft.

you canot use the phone on vzw,despite the fact that its taking you to their help line,as they will not let phones not in their data base onto their network,period. an evo 3d will not be in their database,unfortunately.

your options are:
1)try and work it out with your seller or ebay,since his auction was mis-represented
2)flash the phone to a cdma service that doesnt care if it has a bad esn(like cricket)

i havent a chance to watch your video,but in general getting the cdma programs to see the phones just requires the phone to be in "DIAG" mode and the correct drivers installed.

ill take a look later if you cant get the phone recognized,but i cant help too much with the actual flashing process due to the potential legalities :eek:

Darn, that sucks.

I tried using the ##3424# method to get into the diagnostic mode, but it's asking me for an MSL, and I'm not quite sure what that is.

I have an HTC Evo Design 4G that I'm currently using that I could use as a donor phone, but that means stepping into other waters I'm not sure I know how to step in.

I had a phone not they couldn't activate simply because it was associated with an account. Even if the account lapses for non payment the phone will still be tied to account. In my case seller gave me his pin number and they cancelled old account.

The fact that you're getting Verizon may mean phone was flashed to Verizon. If this was case the esn should be different. From dialer, dial ##6343# and see if it gives you esn (meid). If so compare to what's under battery and see if they match.

The MEID given when typing that number is the same under the battery.

and @Brian, it may just be an Evo v 4G, but the guy told me it was a 3D. If I reset everything to stock, will it be able to work with VM again, or will it still be on VZW?

I've tried contacting the seller, but he did state "no returns/refunds."

Upvote 0
I tried using the ##3424# method to get into the diagnostic mode, but it's asking me for an MSL, and I'm not quite sure what that is.
Since you are rooted you can easily get your msl with MSL Reader.

and @Brian, it may just be an Evo v 4G, but the guy told me it was a 3D. If I reset everything to stock, will it be able to work with VM again, or will it still be on VZW?
I'm not sure... As far as I can tell, I'm assuming he already ran the RUU to return the phone to stock. I don't know if that undoes a flash to another carrier though... I've never dealt with flashing a phone before.

My question would be, can you just flash it back to Virgin Mobile or put the Virgin Mobile settings back in the phone??

Does the phone have the sprint logo or virgin mobile logo on it?

In the bootloader, does it say the phone is s-off?

You can attempt the RUU but note that it will remove root.
Ques

Upvote 0
My question would be, can you just flash it back to Virgin Mobile or put the Virgin Mobile settings back in the phone??

Does the phone have the sprint logo or virgin mobile logo on it?

In the bootloader, does it say the phone is s-off?

You can attempt the RUU but note that it will remove root.
Ques

The phone IS s-off, and there is a VM logo on the back of it.

I have put it into diag mode, but it is still not recognized in CDMA workshop.

I'll check out that link you've sent now.
EDIT: That program says "Sprint" on it, is it still safe to use with my VM device?
It also may be a while before I get to try it.
ggJmbfAoJt.png

Upvote 0
It does say sprint in the title but it is the Evo V ruu I assure you!

Alright, it's almost done downloading, I'll edit this post when I've tried it out.

EDIT: Restored it, now it's just sitting at "Hands Free Activation."

EDIT 2: Skipped the activation, when I try to make a call, it still redirects me to Verizon Wireless. Also, Wi-Fi does not seem to work now.

Upvote 0
Alright, it's almost done downloading, I'll edit this post when I've tried it out.

EDIT: Restored it, now it's just sitting at "Hands Free Activation."

EDIT 2: Skipped the activation, when I try to make a call, it still redirects me to Verizon Wireless. Also, Wi-Fi does not seem to work now.

Will it update prl? Sounds like you need to get a vm prl on there

Upvote 0
If someone has monkeyed with it allready,its pretty comon to set the msl to 000000. If the meid in the phone matches the one under the battery,then it doesn't sound like the phone has been flashed to vzw prepay or boost.

Again,getting the phone recognised in diag mode by programs like cdma workshop and qpst is dependent on the correct drivers. I had diag drivers installed that worked fine with other devices,but to get my LTEvo working,I needed to wade thru several threads following links from the main guide I used to flash it to vzw prepaid.

Have you called virgin mobile and asked if the meid/esn are bad or still associated with an account?

Upvote 0
Here's a thought...I didn't see this posted anywhere yet, so I figured I'd ask this question

Menu > settings > About Phone > Phone Identity

Check the MEID. See if it matches whats under the battery. If it does, then you may have a phone that has a bad ESN, due to bill payment or whatnot.

If it DOESN'T, well...we know it was changed/flashed to another carrier

Upvote 0
Why wait this long? The first thing I would have done is contact eBay/Paypal and file some disputes. Because this guy sold you a phone where he did not inform you of all the problems with it. He said the phone worked when clearly it does not. This is against the rules/terms on eBay, and is why they have buyer protection set in place so people cannot be ripped off. Next time you buy a phone, buy from a refurbishing company/reseller who's on eBay with a "top seller" rating who sells a whole slew of refurbished, used and/or unlocked phones. I always buy my phones used from these kinds of stores and they always work. You should never trust random people on eBay to sell you a phone. I bought a rooted one last year, by mistake, and it was a miracle I got it unrooted in order to activate it. I learned a lot from that experience. Buying on eBay in itself is not a bad idea, so long as you watch who you are buying from.

Upvote 0
Yesterday and today, a local virgin mobile dealer had a used Evo V 4G and it had this same problem. Calling Virgin Mobile won't help, they won't manually program it for you. Even when I googled the code for manually programming it, it didn't work.

Seems like whoever had the phone had flashed it for PagePlus which is under Verizon, that's why even after factory resetting it went to Verizon after dialing 611. I don't think there's any way to re-flash it back to Virgin Mobile. It's true that we get the 1012 error when trying to update PRL. After searching, someone else tried the RUU but it didn't work.

I think I've given up after trying for two whole days to get it to work. It was going to be sold for $100 but luckily I wanted it fixed before I bought it. The only option was to use the phone on Page Plus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones