• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bought used Virgin Mobile S7- can't activate

BJLGVolt

Lurker
Oct 1, 2016
Bought used Virgin Mobile S7- can't activate
I bought a used virgin mobile s7 off ebay, which is pretty hard to find at a decent price, so I could stay with my $35/mo plan on Virgin. Finally got it in, tried to activate it from the VM site and cue sad trombone:

WELL, THIS IS UNFORTUNATE
Sorry, this device is not compatible with Virgin Mobile service. Select "shop phones" to choose a new or Pre-Loved Phone and join Virgin Mobile.
I sent an email to VM to ask about it, slow response there, but got:

I have tried to activate your device with the information provided on
your e-mail. However, according to the error message received, the
device is not loaded on the system. I suggest you to reply with the
Samsung Galaxy S7 ESN/MEID(DEC), it can be located by dialing ##6343#,
after that the number will automatically appear on the screen.

Dialing that informs me the device isn't registered on the network. Phone didn't come with a SIM, so I thought I might need to buy a nano sim from Best Buy in order to get it to work, but didn't want to risk the $10 lost if it still wouldn't activate. Called VM this morning and was told that the phone seemed to have been unlocked. So, even though it's a virgin mobile phone, some douche unlocked it then sold it on ebay as virgin mobile.

As VM doesn't allow BYOD and the rep informed me this morning that once the device is unlocked, they couldn't lock it back onto VM (not sure about that), does this mean I have an overpriced paper weight? I have an authorized RMA from the seller, but since it was quite difficult to get this phone in the first place, I want to make sure I've exhausted my options here.

Has anyone gotten an android locked to VM? Any ideas? TIA.

I could if they allowed a CDMA phone. Not sure who does. But as far as I've found, no one competes with my $35 unltd text/calls, 10GB data
I use Mint Mobile and they have unlimited voice, text, and data with 10GB of LTE for $25 / month. They use T-Mo towers, so I'm not sure if your phone is compatible. Just offering up an alternative is you wanted to return the phone and get an unlocked phone and a cheaper plan.
https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/

Upvote 0
I use Mint Mobile and they have unlimited voice, text, and data with 10GB of LTE for $25 / month. They use T-Mo towers, so I'm not sure if your phone is compatible. Just offering up an alternative is you wanted to return the phone and get an unlocked phone and a cheaper plan.
https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/
Those are great prices. If I decide to go to a GSM, that might be the one. Thanks

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Well, this is bizarre. I knew by the model number- sm-g930w8 that it was originally sold in Canada, but since the seller said it was VM, and when I received it it had VM apps on the front page, I thought it was VM. I just chatted with a Samsung rep though and they told me that this phone is unlocked (all Canadian phones are) and GSM. Even though VM is CDMA only. So weird. So I guess I have an unlocked GSM phone now? I'd still prefer to get it working on VM (less hassle for me) but I'll continue exploring these other options. Bit grumbly that I paid more to get a Virgin Mobile s7 when I could've paid less for a non-VM one.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Well, this is bizarre. I knew by the model number- sm-g930w8 that it was originally sold in Canada, but since the seller said it was VM, and when I received it it had VM apps on the front page, I thought it was VM. I just chatted with a Samsung rep though and they told me that this phone is unlocked (all Canadian phones are) and GSM. Even though VM is CDMA only. So weird. So I guess I have an unlocked GSM phone now? I'd still prefer to get it working on VM (less hassle for me) but I'll continue exploring these other options. Bit grumbly that I paid more to get a Virgin Mobile s7 when I could've paid less for a non-VM one.
I'd do the RMA thing with the seller then and get your money back. Seems you didn't get what you thought you were paying for. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones