• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Boxwave Screen Protectors

so besides the ability to waste $30 what exactly is the point of putting a thin sheen of vinyl on a basically unscratchable unbreakable gorilla glass screen?

Gorilla glass is famously difficult to CRACK and SHATTER, but scratches are a completely different story. Small scratches are very easy to make. Even if you were in remedial science when you were a kid, you will know that only diamond is unscratchable, and the Diamond Droid hasn't come out yet.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
screen protectors are a scam....I don't have one on my droid, i didn't have one on my dare, nor my voyager or my 9800, or 6800, or even my ipod touch...and none of them ever got screen scratches.

I did however put a silicone cover on my dare and it somehow got moisture under my screen, in the exact shape of where the cover was. I'll never make that mistake again.

Upvote 0
At which angles? If you tilt it?

What I'm concerned about is when I'm watching a movie on it. If I point it straight at my face and watch it, will it still be a bit dull?

Sorry for a late response... I only notice a slight decrease in clarity at pretty extreme angles. As long as you're looking at the screen fairly straight on - you won't notice the Boxwave is there.

Upvote 0
screen protectors are a scam....I don't have one on my droid, i didn't have one on my dare, nor my voyager or my 9800, or 6800, or even my ipod touch...and none of them ever got screen scratches.

This is highly suspect and doubtful.

Either you keep your phone wrapped in tissue paper the entire day in a silk-lined pocket where there are no other objects, you don't much care if you get scratches and so you don't look very closely, or you are blind and have no touch response in your fingertips.

Upvote 0
This is highly suspect and doubtful.

Either you keep your phone wrapped in tissue paper the entire day in a silk-lined pocket where there are no other objects, you don't much care if you get scratches and so you don't look very closely, or you are blind and have no touch response in your fingertips.

Or I just don't put anything in the same pocket as my devices. When I had a crappy phone I had my iPod Touch in one pocket and my phone in the other, now I just have my phone in one pocket....it's not magic.

Upvote 0
Or I just don't put anything in the same pocket as my devices. When I had a crappy phone I had my iPod Touch in one pocket and my phone in the other, now I just have my phone in one pocket....it's not magic.

You're obviously entitled to your oppinion, but for me the Boxwave is worth it just for its smudge resistance, if nothing else. And it does provide just a little extra peace of mind when handling your device on an everyday basis.

Upvote 0
any tips on getting these to install nicely? I tried last night and i swear i could not get it to 'stick' to the screen all the way. maybe it was off center but there was a LARGE bubble that went from top to bottom of the screen when i was done and then i noticed i could basically lift the screen protector off with next to no effort, like it could just as easily slid off.

thx if u can help.

Upvote 0
any tips on getting these to install nicely?
Make sure your screen is really clean and dust/grime free. Same goes for the protector as well.
I cleaned my phone screen with a bit of rubbing alcohol and a lens cloth before applying the protector. I then put little tape 'tabs' on the protector so I didn't have to touch it all. Line it up with the edge of the screen and lay it down gently...no bubbles :)

Upvote 0
These Boxwave protectors for the Droid are a little bit tighter fit than most of the devices I have put them on. "Tape Tabs" is a great tip to help in application and it may take a few tries with a steady hand, but once you get one of the edges lined up nice and straight the rest should follow suit. It took me 2 tries to get it on straight.

I usually fold the peelcoat half under so I can still handle the other half while lining up one of the edges and then lay it down halfway and see if its going to clear all the edges. If not pull it back up and try again. It helps if you get one corner nice an aligned and then hold your finger on that corner and pivet the whole protector to line the other corner up.

Its and art for sure! :)

Upvote 0
here's my take on BoxWave Cleartouch vs Clarivue Ultra Clear as I tried both on the Droid, first the Boxwave then the Clarivue. The Boxwave is definitely harder to put on than the Clarivue. The boxwave has a hole for the earpiece area on the protector while the Clarivue has the cut out that runs all the way to the top like a U about the earpiece. The Boxwave has a slicker or more slippery feel (closer to none protected) than the Clarivue but the Clarivue still has that glass like feel. Clarivue feel is less prone to finger print than the Boxwave. Clarity and touch sensitivity both are equal.

Personal preference I like the Clarivue as it's not prone to fingerprint, it still feels slippery & glass like, and it's easier to put on. Also to top it off, I get 2 Clarivue screen protectors for $10.99 vs 1 boxwave at 14.99.

Upvote 0
My boxwave screen protector has the tiniest little dent in it on the bottom third of the screen protector about 0.5" from the left edge.

This small dent causes my screen protector to look like it has an air bubble in it that is about 2mm in diameter :(

I e-mailed boxwave to see if this would be covered under warranty as a manufacturer's defect --- here's to hoping they are generous.

Upvote 0
My boxwave screen protector has the tiniest little dent in it on the bottom third of the screen protector about 0.5" from the left edge.

This small dent causes my screen protector to look like it has an air bubble in it that is about 2mm in diameter :(

I e-mailed boxwave to see if this would be covered under warranty as a manufacturer's defect --- here's to hoping they are generous.

They have a 30-day money back return policy for any products purchased directly from BoxWave Corporation and are covered by a 100-day warranty against any manufacturer defects or failures. I think you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
I noticed no one metioned that one advantaged of choosing the anti-glare is that when you are outside on a sunny day you can see your screen more clearly. I noticed when I had the clear protector it was hard to see my screen on sunny days so the anti-glare will allow you to see your screen without having to go in the shade. you may lose a little clarity but if you live in a sunny climate you will probably benefit from the anti-glare.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones