1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Boxwave Screen Protectors

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kraze0g, Jan 8, 2010.

1. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Android Enthusiast

I've been using the screen protector from Verizon but I am not to impressed, I think I am going to order the crystal one this weekend. Ill keep you guys updated

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Android Enthusiast

Gorilla glass is famously difficult to CRACK and SHATTER, but scratches are a completely different story. Small scratches are very easy to make. Even if you were in remedial science when you were a kid, you will know that only diamond is unscratchable, and the Diamond Droid hasn't come out yet.:rolleyes:

3. gentlefury

gentlefury Android Enthusiast

screen protectors are a scam....I don't have one on my droid, i didn't have one on my dare, nor my voyager or my 9800, or 6800, or even my ipod touch...and none of them ever got screen scratches.

I did however put a silicone cover on my dare and it somehow got moisture under my screen, in the exact shape of where the cover was. I'll never make that mistake again.

4. MotoAlex

MotoAlex Newbie

Sorry for a late response... I only notice a slight decrease in clarity at pretty extreme angles. As long as you're looking at the screen fairly straight on - you won't notice the Boxwave is there.

5. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Android Enthusiast

This is highly suspect and doubtful.

Either you keep your phone wrapped in tissue paper the entire day in a silk-lined pocket where there are no other objects, you don't much care if you get scratches and so you don't look very closely, or you are blind and have no touch response in your fingertips.

6. gentlefury

gentlefury Android Enthusiast

Or I just don't put anything in the same pocket as my devices. When I had a crappy phone I had my iPod Touch in one pocket and my phone in the other, now I just have my phone in one pocket....it's not magic.

7. MotoAlex

MotoAlex Newbie

You're obviously entitled to your oppinion, but for me the Boxwave is worth it just for its smudge resistance, if nothing else. And it does provide just a little extra peace of mind when handling your device on an everyday basis.

8. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!

Worth every cent and then some.

9. kraze0g

kraze0g Android Enthusiast

any tips on getting these to install nicely? I tried last night and i swear i could not get it to 'stick' to the screen all the way. maybe it was off center but there was a LARGE bubble that went from top to bottom of the screen when i was done and then i noticed i could basically lift the screen protector off with next to no effort, like it could just as easily slid off.

thx if u can help.

10. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Make sure your screen is really clean and dust/grime free. Same goes for the protector as well.
    I cleaned my phone screen with a bit of rubbing alcohol and a lens cloth before applying the protector. I then put little tape 'tabs' on the protector so I didn't have to touch it all. Line it up with the edge of the screen and lay it down gently...no bubbles :)

11. darreno1

darreno1 Android Enthusiast

^^That's a really good tip! I didn't think about putting tape tabs. I'll be trying that the next time I take it off to wash it.

12. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Tape comes in handy! I also use it to clean the earpiece and around the edges of the screen. It's amazing what you can do with a bit of tape.

13. shrink57

shrink57 Android Expert

The steamy bathroom trick also helps to get a dust free environment.

14. GrandMasterB

These Boxwave protectors for the Droid are a little bit tighter fit than most of the devices I have put them on. "Tape Tabs" is a great tip to help in application and it may take a few tries with a steady hand, but once you get one of the edges lined up nice and straight the rest should follow suit. It took me 2 tries to get it on straight.

I usually fold the peelcoat half under so I can still handle the other half while lining up one of the edges and then lay it down halfway and see if its going to clear all the edges. If not pull it back up and try again. It helps if you get one corner nice an aligned and then hold your finger on that corner and pivet the whole protector to line the other corner up.

Its and art for sure! :)

15. kraze0g

im not good at art :p i think i got the shakes! (or im just nervous about not getting it on right - already messed one up)

16. GrandMasterB

I know what you mean. Tell you what, I am feeling nice today, send me your Droid and I'll apply it for you. :D

17. shrink57

shrink57 Android Expert

I'm all thumbs but with a little patience (and about 3 tries) I got it right. A lot of the tiny bubbles will clear up on their own.

18. DA717

DA717 Member

here's my take on BoxWave Cleartouch vs Clarivue Ultra Clear as I tried both on the Droid, first the Boxwave then the Clarivue. The Boxwave is definitely harder to put on than the Clarivue. The boxwave has a hole for the earpiece area on the protector while the Clarivue has the cut out that runs all the way to the top like a U about the earpiece. The Boxwave has a slicker or more slippery feel (closer to none protected) than the Clarivue but the Clarivue still has that glass like feel. Clarivue feel is less prone to finger print than the Boxwave. Clarity and touch sensitivity both are equal.

Personal preference I like the Clarivue as it's not prone to fingerprint, it still feels slippery & glass like, and it's easier to put on. Also to top it off, I get 2 Clarivue screen protectors for $10.99 vs 1 boxwave at 14.99.

19. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Well-Known Member

My boxwave screen protector has the tiniest little dent in it on the bottom third of the screen protector about 0.5" from the left edge.

This small dent causes my screen protector to look like it has an air bubble in it that is about 2mm in diameter :(

I e-mailed boxwave to see if this would be covered under warranty as a manufacturer's defect --- here's to hoping they are generous.

20. GrandMasterB

They have a 30-day money back return policy for any products purchased directly from BoxWave Corporation and are covered by a 100-day warranty against any manufacturer defects or failures. I think you'll be fine.

21. sweetmike

sweetmike Newbie

I noticed no one metioned that one advantaged of choosing the anti-glare is that when you are outside on a sunny day you can see your screen more clearly. I noticed when I had the clear protector it was hard to see my screen on sunny days so the anti-glare will allow you to see your screen without having to go in the shade. you may lose a little clarity but if you live in a sunny climate you will probably benefit from the anti-glare.

22. karib

karib Android Enthusiast

Got the skinomi protector... NOT GOOD!!! Several bubbles and reduced touch sensitivity! I already took it off and ordered the cystal clear boxwave. I only got one, so I hope I don't fudge the application :p

23. dja1980

dja1980 Well-Known Member

Are you guys just protecting the screen, or do you have a full-body kit of some sort? I have the PhantomSkinz full-body now, but I'm not too happy with the screen.

24. JackT

JackT Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy the boxwave and I was looking at anti-glare because I am worried about glare when using it in the car dock as a GPS unit. Anyone with either one able to comment on the effect of these in the sun? Thanks in advance.

25. kraze0g

if u are getting more glare than u want, get the anti glare (makes sense).. if u want to retain the spectacular crystal clear glass then go with the crystal :) i got the crystal and its great.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews