1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

boycott netflix til android gets app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by me2ornery, Apr 5, 2011.

1. me2ornery

me2ornery Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    We need to stand together, pull our netflix accounts, and show them how valuable the Android community is to their bottom line. If they had say 150000 Android users cancel all on a certain date in an announced boycott,they would have to act or watch their stock fall. Thus giving them motivation to give us the app we have been paying for. It would be great if the forum would help to get this started, spread the word and put together a date . Just my 2 cents worth. Let's stand as one.

Advertisement

2. HJAcevedo

HJAcevedo Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    College Student
    Brooklyn, NY
    Although quite noble I doubt this would do anything. Do you know how hard it is to rally a mere 50 or so people for a none lethal cause? Imagine 150,000 users...

Besides, I don't even pay for mine.

3. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    I have netflix on my Vizio TV. It's not hard to boycott because most of their movies suck.

4. smankins

smankins Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    When I signed up for Netflix there were no APPS so I don't see why I should be upset about this. Were there APPS or promised APPS when you first signed up? If so, feel free to cancel your Netflix account if you feel cheated.

gregs887 and pool_shark like this.
  5. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    Bay Area, ca
    netflix not being on android has nothing to do with netflix. It has to do with DRM and the lack there of in the android handsets

6. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    doesn't honeycomb support DRM?

7. LE25

LE25 Lurker
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    The leaked version worked on other handsets that had no DRM. Its their decision to enable DRM, which they can do without but choose not to. Im canceling my account regardless..

8. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Between Imladris and Lothl
    You'll have to pry Netflix from my cold, dead hands. I would like them to have a fully functional app but I'm not cancelling because they don't.

I understand the frustration some folks are experiencing but just to watch TV without commercials is worth the monthly price for me.

Sorry.

cluelezz and pool_shark like this.
  9. Bonfiggy

Bonfiggy Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    I think it would be more productive to convince 150,000 additional Android users to sign up for Netflix. With the added revenue, there would be greater incentive.

Netflix already provides quite a bit for the monthly cost. Trying to dump on them to get your way won't solve much. Not to mention the fact that they are growing at such an exponential rate, that even if you did get 150,000 subscriptions to cancel, it would be recouped within the quarter, leveling it back out. And I know that I for one, would jump the metaphorical boycott ship if it didn't pop up after a month. I use the crap out of it.

10. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Part of the agreement they have with the people who own the rights to the programs they stream is the programs will be protected, the leaked app is exactly that, leaked not a finished product not something they can publish. Once they realized that it was being used outside of their control group they disabled it. It is their decision to enable DRM because if they do not choose to enable it they can't stream most shows/movies.

I'm sure your cancellation due to them not making something that they didn't have when you signed up will upset them deeply, maybe next you will stop using your android phone and cancel your gmail account because you can't access itunes.

11. dvandam

dvandam Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    A noble cause, but I'm not cancelling Netflix over not being able to watch it natively on my Nexus One/Xoom. Besides, I can still get a fix (albeit a buggy one) via PlayOn. I like netflix also because I can give the artists their due by giving them royalties via netflix, as opposed to just using BT to get all my content like I used to do.

12. skyline2929

skyline2929 Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    It's not their fault. They tried to develop an app for android but they were having issues with DRM. But I think everyone should boycott Skype. Skype is doing everything on purpose. They got huge amount of money from apple so they don't give a damn about android users.

13. cluelezz

cluelezz Member
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    I don't even think I'd want to watch a full tv show/movie on my phone. I'm a netflix customer for life though. I don't even have cable anymore.