1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Brain hurting - Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by grentuu, Jan 14, 2011.

1. grentuu

grentuu Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    Mature student
    Bolton
    I am reasonably aufait with this kind of stuff, I did my wifes San Francisco last night, but my desire is hurting me :(

I have a desire unlocked but branded to O2. I have a gold card. The
    HBoot is .93.0001
    Radio 5.11.05.27
    Froyo 2.2 (came on phone from new, 1 week old)
    SLCD screen.
    Can anyone help an old man with some simple pointers please?

Also does the process of creating the gold card create recovery mode on the phone or is that there already (when you hold down the volume button on the phone)

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Have you read Dan's FAQ: http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/221212-faq-rooting.html? What I'm going to say here is pretty much all in there.

The simplest way of rooting is using unrevoked (guide linked in FAQ). SLCD shouldn't be an issue, but you do want to check PVT version - boot into bootloader by holding the volume down key while booting and see what it says. If PVT-4, you need to check erase size - see this post http://androidforums.com/2076719-post11.html. If PVT-4 and erase size = 40,000 there are special instructions in the FAQ. Otherwise just running unrevoked should do it.

Creating the gold card does nothing to the phone, just makes the gold card (which is useful if you need to use an RUU to unroot the phone or recover from a particularly nasty mess). Rooting with unrevoked will replace your standard recovery with a custom one which allows you to flash updates and make backups.

3. grentuu

grentuu Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    Mature student
    Bolton
    I have already checked and my erase size on pvt4 is 40,000 so I will read the revoked faq

Thanks

Tags: